Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Thread: NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers

    MOUNT PLEASANT, N.Y. (AP) -- Even for a state trooper, it's not easy to spot drivers who are texting. Their smartphones are down on their laps, not at their ears. And they're probably not moving their lips.

    That's why New York has given state police 32 tall, unmarked SUVs to better peer down at drivers' hands, part of one of the nation's most aggressive attacks on texting while driving that also includes steeper penalties and dozens of highway "Texting Zones," where motorists can pull over to use their devices.

    "Look at that," Trooper Clayton Howell says, pulling alongside a black BMW while patrolling the highways north of New York City. "This guy's looking down. I can see his thumb on the phone. I think we got him."

    After a quick wail of the siren and a flash of the tucked-away flashers, an accountant from the suburbs is pulled over and politely given a ticket.

    New York is among 41 states that ban text messaging for all drivers and is among only 12 that prohibit using hand-held cellphones. The state this year stiffened penalties for motorists caught using hand-held devices to talk or text, increasing penalty points on the driving record from three to five, along with tickets that carry fines of up to $200.

    With the tough new penalties came tougher enforcement. In a two-month crackdown this summer, troopers handed out 5,553 tickets for texting while driving, compared to 924 in the same period last year.

    News from The Associated Press

  2. #2
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers

    Hell with tickets, destroy the phone on site and kick the user in the nuts. That's my remedy.

  3. #3
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers

    Seems to me that it's easy enough to find out if a driver was texting at the time around an accident and instead of endangering everyone else as the cops are looking into cars instead of their own driving, just give super high charges for anyone in an accident or speeding or other violation that is also determined to have been texting, though the talking part I don't know. Seems the hands free isn't as bad if drivers are sure to let the folks they're talking to know that they are driving and may not be paying full attention to the phone call.

    Me I only talk on the phone while driving for 2 min type calls to say I'm running late, or such, UNLESS I am on the wide open highway and there's little or no traffic and I'll be on the road for a few more hours, ie long distance travel. I've never texted unless I pull over, or am in completely stopped traffic as LA freeways often become. I don't even read incoming texts unless I'm at a complete stop.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  4. #4
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,112

    Re: NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers

    Phone confiscation is not a bad idea... we do it in classrooms. Nut kicking... that is not allowed though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #5
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,205

    Re: NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    MOUNT PLEASANT, N.Y. (AP) -- Even for a state trooper, it's not easy to spot drivers who are texting. Their smartphones are down on their laps, not at their ears. And they're probably not moving their lips.

    That's why New York has given state police 32 tall, unmarked SUVs to better peer down at drivers' hands, part of one of the nation's most aggressive attacks on texting while driving that also includes steeper penalties and dozens of highway "Texting Zones," where motorists can pull over to use their devices.

    "Look at that," Trooper Clayton Howell says, pulling alongside a black BMW while patrolling the highways north of New York City. "This guy's looking down. I can see his thumb on the phone. I think we got him."

    After a quick wail of the siren and a flash of the tucked-away flashers, an accountant from the suburbs is pulled over and politely given a ticket.

    New York is among 41 states that ban text messaging for all drivers and is among only 12 that prohibit using hand-held cellphones. The state this year stiffened penalties for motorists caught using hand-held devices to talk or text, increasing penalty points on the driving record from three to five, along with tickets that carry fines of up to $200.

    With the tough new penalties came tougher enforcement. In a two-month crackdown this summer, troopers handed out 5,553 tickets for texting while driving, compared to 924 in the same period last year.

    News from The Associated Press
    I guess we're low tech or cheap here - we had a story in the news a few months back indicating that the police in one of our suburbs would ride the bus and look down on car drivers to determine if someone was talking or texting on their phone while driving. The officer would then radio to a patrol unit and the driver would be pulled over and charged.

    No such thing as privacy anymore.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #6
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers

    I thought that is what all the drones are for.

    I would have to say that among the most pressing issues in our nation, is that people aren't ticketed and arrested enough, and when they are the fines are way too low and jail time too short.

    It is inexcusable that drivers aren't required to have a video camera in their vehicles watching and listening to everything they are doing and saying. They could be plotting a terrorist attack and we wouldn't even know it. And why anyone can start a car without blowing into a breathalyzer is totally outrageous failure of government to do it's job.

    People forget what the American Revolution was about. It was that the King of England wasn't policing people enough. The colonists wanted a government that will take charge of people's lives and behavior. That's where the slogan "Give me laws or give me death" came from.
    Last edited by joko104; 11-25-13 at 06:55 PM.

  7. #7
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,691

    Re: NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Hell with tickets, destroy the phone on site and kick the user in the nuts. That's my remedy.
    Right. We don't need tickets and courts, just let the officers destroy property and administer street beatings. Its all implied in the "living document" called the constitution.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I guess we're low tech or cheap here - we had a story in the news a few months back indicating that the police in one of our suburbs would ride the bus and look down on car drivers to determine if someone was talking or texting on their phone while driving. The officer would then radio to a patrol unit and the driver would be pulled over and charged.

    No such thing as privacy anymore.
    I consider myself very observant as i drive over 70k miles/year. I watch mirrors, cars with government tags or multiple antennas on their car. I watch large groups of cars driving slower. I own a high tech radar detector and use the reflective material on my license plate the gives cameras a white image. I don't trust any branch of government anymore.

  9. #9
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I thought that is what all the drones are for.

    I would have to say that among the most pressing issues in our nation, is that people aren't ticketed and arrested enough, and when they are the fines are way to low and jail time too short.

    It is inexcusable that drivers aren't required to have a video camera in their vehicles watching and listening to everything they are doing and saying. They could be plotting a terrorist attack and we wouldn't even know it. And why anyone can start a car without blowing into a breathalyzer is totally outrageous failure of government to do it's job.

    People forget what the American Revolution was about. It was that the King of England wasn't policing people enough. The colonists wanted a government that will take charge of people's lives and behavior. That's where the slogan "Give me laws or give me death" came from.
    Yeah, **** public safety. Allu Ackbar!

  10. #10
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I consider myself very observant as i drive over 70k miles/year. I watch mirrors, cars with government tags or multiple antennas on their car. I watch large groups of cars driving slower. I own a high tech radar detector and use the reflective material on my license plate the gives cameras a white image. I don't trust any branch of government anymore.
    What about large groups of cars driving slower?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •