Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 519

Thread: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Agree.



    Don't agree. That's a poor excuse. Obviously these young men are lacking discipline if that's the case. I can understand and wouldn't find it unusual to happen some of the time, but it should not be a widespread issue IMO. That just shows a lack of self control and perhaps people like that don't belong in the military at all anyway.
    Recruiting men right out of high school is the best approach outside of starting them much younger. The reason for this simple. While you would like to start programming young men in their early teens you can still program them just fine when they eighteen, but not nearly as successfully later. The men that sign up and the men they desire are aggressive and likely aren't the best representatives of self control and in many ways that is desirable for the job.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    It's not an excuse, it's an accurate depiction of reality.

    As a matter of curiosity, given that you flatly put out that I am in fact wrong, how much time, exactly, have you spent in the Infantry?
    I don't have to be in the military to understand that human beings are intelligent creatures, able to know right from wrong and able to practice amazing self control when necessary.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Recruiting men right out of high school is the best approach outside of starting them much younger. The reason for this simple. While you would like to start programming young men in their early teens you can still program them just fine when they eighteen, but not nearly as successfully later. The men that sign up and the men they desire are aggressive and likely aren't the best representatives of self control and in many ways that is desirable for the job.
    I understand that theory, but they are supposed to be self-disciplined. In that case, if I was the enemy, I'd just send a bunch of hot women in bikinis or even nude and could win the war.

  4. #74
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't have to be in the military to understand that human beings are intelligent creatures, able to know right from wrong and able to practice amazing self control when necessary.
    so no, you have no particular experience to draw on to tell me that my description of what actually happens in real life, the real life where people die from this kind of crap is wrong.

  5. #75
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I understand that theory, but they are supposed to be self-disciplined.
    Sure. That doesn't mean perfect self control, and it doesn't mean that they aren't 18-22 year old males. It simply is an ideal that we try to teach them to strive for. And when you introduce women into the mix, it makes that striving, keeping good order and discipline, exponentially harder.

    Why do you think that they had to start threatening courts-martials for people who became pregnant while in-country? Because it wasn't a problem?

  6. #76
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Recruiting men right out of high school is the best approach outside of starting them much younger. The reason for this simple. While you would like to start programming young men in their early teens you can still program them just fine when they eighteen, but not nearly as successfully later. The men that sign up and the men they desire are aggressive and likely aren't the best representatives of self control and in many ways that is desirable for the job.
    Precisely. When you are looking for someone to mold into the kind of person best suited to locating closing with and destroying the enemy through fire and maneuver and/or repelling his assault through fire and close combat, the demographic you need is also the one most likely to be controlled by his genetalia.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Sure. That doesn't mean perfect self control, and it doesn't mean that they aren't 18-22 year old males. It simply is an ideal that we try to teach them to strive for. And when you introduce women into the mix, it makes that striving, keeping good order and discipline, exponentially harder.

    Why do you think that they had to start threatening courts-martials for people who became pregnant while in-country? Because it wasn't a problem?
    Why is a pregnancy such a big problem, just give her maternity leave and then have her come back, like any other job. It's no different than if a male member gets ill or suffers an injury or something. Why would court martials be necessary? It's not a permanent condition.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    so no, you have no particular experience to draw on to tell me that my description of what actually happens in real life, the real life where people die from this kind of crap is wrong.
    Why do you claim they're dying because of women? That's silly. Post some evidence of this actually happening.

  9. #79
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't mind the mixing of sexes into the military, but it shouldn't come at the cost of lowering standards. Anyone who can meet the established standards should be allowed to join; but you should have to meet the established standards.



    I agree and I support equality in hiring decisions.

    So anyone who can't do the job shouldn't get the job.

    Fair and simple.

  10. #80
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't have to be in the military to understand that human beings are intelligent creatures, able to know right from wrong and able to practice amazing self control when necessary
    .



    Anyone in the United States Military who violates the UCMJ will pay a price for their lack of self control.

Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •