Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 519

Thread: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

  1. #361
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Was there a show called "The Marine?" What the hell are you talking about? I told the story of one Marine I know who was a squad leader in Afghanistan, and his view of the future of the American military as he was told it. While extremely effective in what he was assigned to do, he believed it a complete waste producing no permanent benefit. It was not a direct comment about women in the military. It was the obvious that military tactics for the future have to change. They always do.

    If the enemy are locals and they take off their uniforms, the entire definition of war changes.
    That STORY that you told was such utter BS that if you actually believe it than anything else you say about the military should be ignored by everyone because you obviously have no idea about how the military functions. I can gaurantee 100% that almost nothing in that story actually happened. If you would like I can go back through it and point out the bs or you can just believe me. Just let me know
    President Franklin Roosevelt eulogized a fallen American Soldier by saying, “He stands in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die [that] freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it he lives--in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

  2. #362
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,328

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    There are special forces operations potential situations where women could be suited and men would not. Per your example, there are situations where a female team could better infiltrate to get into a sniper position for a critical target.

    I respect your opinion. But I also believe the military serves many roles and that military service has many effects. Among those includes after service effects. How socially functional are ex-service members? While that is a more complex issue of course, I ponder if having young men withdrawn from interactions with women at levels of equality (and even where women can be superiors) for 2, 3, 4+ years does not cause a socially crippling effect for SOME men. It is possible women serving along with men could have an empathy effect that may offset the huge levels of various destructive stress syndromes and even levels of suicide within and after military service.

    Even the Infantry is not just a question of taking and holding territory and seeking out to destroy the enemy. The are much broader questions - unless you truly don't care what becomes of those who service in the military before and after service.

    There also becomes a them-us between civilians and the those in the military. In civil society, there is increasing public (and voter) opposition to ground troops being put into action. Poll after poll shows women FAR more in opposition to putting American troops on the ground. And more women vote than men. Unless the military is seen in a favorable light by the American public - which over 50% means women - it won't matter what the Infantry is capable of doing - because they won't be allowed to do it. It is the vested interest of the military and our nation that women - not just men - have a connect to our military forces.

    My "beef" isn't that there are situational circumstances where mixed units would be unwise or problematical. It is the over-simplification of one-liners such as "women in combat will get people killed!" and that women are inherently incapable of being on-the-ground warriors. A more challenging and complex question is the greater question of the relationship between the military, military service, the civilian population and civilian political leadership.

    In a democratic society, the military cannot become TOO "politically incorrect" (the terminology many are using) and still be fully viable and deployable. In a totalitarian society it would not matter. But in a democratic society what the public thinks of the military can be decisive. We just saw that in the matter concerning Syria in which the public overwhelmingly shouted "NO!" to ANY military involvement and that was even with declaring no plan to deploy ground troops. In addition to other concerns, was a fear this would lead to troops on the ground. What good is an Infantry if political forces prevent it from being able to be used? Or to HAVE to commit to a military conflict promising under no eventuality will any ground troops be deployed? That's crippling.

    The public, ie including women, SEEING women in uniform AND in combat roles would go a LONG way towards favorable support of the military and military deployments. Put as simple as possible, if women do not support usage of the Infantry as a political matter, the Infantry is impotent. And that alone severely harms our nation's foreign policy. The greatest power of the American military - and best usage of it - is FEAR of the American military coming their way. If they believe that American political will won't allow it, that fear-factor is lost.

    And thank you for acknowledging that women do have a place and more than as mere tokens in terms of killing-ability in a military context.
    I'm all for women in all females combat arms units, that have to meet the same standards as males in male units.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #363
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,340

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm all for women in all females combat arms units, that have to meet the same standards as males in male units.
    : Better that than feminizing our military! Being a gal, I'm for all female units. Lots of good thriller books written lately on that subject!

    Happy Thanksgiving, apdst!

  4. #364
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,328

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    : Better that than feminizing our military! Being a gal, I'm for all female units. Lots of good thriller books written lately on that subject!

    Happy Thanksgiving, apdst!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    People are already getting on my nerves here at my house...lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #365
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,340

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    People are already getting on my nerves here at my house...lol!
    : Mine starts tomorrow! I love em, but...

  6. #366
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Let me guess. You don't have much of a college degree, but you played sports in school. Did I guess right?

    Of course, being how easy school is, certainly you should have at least 1 PhD. Do you?

    LOL.

    With each post you make, you even have people with just a tiny understanding of the military rolling with laughter.

    I'll quote myself here: "being in a controlled school environment is the absolutely easiest time a person spends in the military".

    LOL. You have no clue dude. The schools I referenced are schools such as The "Infantry School", The "Armor School" and so on.

    Do you really enjoy proving you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about? Or do you feel compelled to do such to prove you are loyal to the idiots of the Democrat party?
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  7. #367
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm all for women in all females combat arms units, that have to meet the same standards as males in male units.
    They will never be required to meet the same standards in a combat arms unit. They don't even have to do that in any other branch already. However, these clowns pushing for females in combat arms units would never admit that. The truth has no place in the democrat party. None.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  8. #368
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    In truth - I think many men go through most of their military careers with injuries and never reported them. But we hacked that up in another thread not too long ago so I won't bother here, no point.
    Most definitely. I'm doing it right now lol
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  9. #369
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Here's an interesting link I found regarding women in Israel and combat service.

    Israeli Army Women | Service Options
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Obviously, the military considers them to be active in combat units, and they are referred to as such.

    Another interesting piece of info for you.
    Two things:

    A) The "combat roles" filled by women in the Israeli military aren't really combat roles. As a matter of fact, many women are already serving in those same positions (military police, gate and border guards, intelligence, etca) in the United States military.

    Female infantry and special forces have so far not been at the forefront of any major military operation staged by the Israeli military. They have been in support, just as they are in our own military.

    B) The Israelis stopped using female soldiers after 1948 precisely because the concept didn't really work. They weren't as combat effective as men, and the interpersonal dynamic they introduced to fighting units tended to cause problems with morale, good order, and discipline.

    The mixed gender infantry model was ultimately more trouble than it was worth, so the concept was abandoned.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Post a link. Why should I believe your claims?
    Because they're true?

    The most "hardcore" thing I ever saw for sale when I was overseas was Sports Illustrated and Maxim. It didn't really matter all that much, as we mostly used illicitly acquired digital porn instead anyway, but his claims are accurate.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Until you can show PROOF of where soldiers were killed specifically because of a female soldier, then your argument is nonsensical.
    Sort of hard to prove a negative, given how there aren't any actual female soldiers serving in front line combat roles.

    That being said, however; I can provide at least one example of a female soldier doing nothing to help her unit during combat. Jessica Lynch, for instance, was captured by Iraqi forces without having ever fired her weapon to try and defend herself.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    The links I posted clearly state that the IDF is planning on expanding their use of women in combat forces because it's worked out very well for them. That must piss you guys off to no END! Lol!
    What it actually shows is exactly the same thing that is going on in our own military at the moment. The "politically correct" powers that be want an "equal opportunity" military, so they are doing everything in their power to force the issue regardless of whether women are up to the task or not.

    Again, female soldiers in the Israeli military have never taken part in a major frontline operation. They are being hailed as being "combat capable" when the reality of the situation is that they've never been tested in wartime combat.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I didn't see you quote any part that says women are "not allowed." Being sent to a border to protect it in a place like Israel, regardless of WHICH border, is being sent into a combat situation. Combat could erupt at any time, and these women are fully trained and ready for that.
    By that logic, women are already serving in "combat roles" in the US military by the simple act of ever being required to go off base in countries like Iraq and Afghanistan.

    The problem here is that you're confusing your definitions. Being in a job which might lead a person to come under fire and defend themselves, is not the same thing as being in a job which leads them to directly seek out enemy forces in an aggressive fashion and close with them in close quarters combat afterwards.

    The one only requires that a person survive contact with the enemy long enough to live another day. The other requires that they win.

    Sitting guard duty and occasionally taking a pot shot at someone is not the same thing as trekking 30 miles a day with a heavy ruck or kicking down doors with the expectation of coming face to face with the enemy.

    I'm sorry, but the simple fact of the matter is that women so far have not demonstrated their ability to perform in this latter capacity in any meaningful fashion.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 11-27-13 at 09:08 PM.

  10. #370
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Marine Corp Delays Pull-Up Requirement for Female Marines

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
    There is allot more to being a sniper than simply sitting on a ridge and patiently waiting for your shot. In Iraq for example snipers were set up in urban environments and and "a safe distance from the action" can turn into a close quarters battle quickly.

    It is not just our opinion that women in general do not perform well in combat arms, it has been tested and consistently proven. In every situation that has been tested (recently with marine infantry training) women have fallen out or become injured in significant numbers. It is about budget and efficiency. It is not efficient to run a program where you have a 80% or greater injury/fallout rate (with the exception of elite groups where you simply must have the best of the best in these cases the standard will consistently get tougher because you can only take on a limited number and you always want to choose the best.)

    There are already positions where women can engage and be engaged in combat, Military Police, Female Engagement Teams (even support units since we really don't have "front lines" anymore ).

    It is the specific tasks and missions of Infantry and Special Operations that make them different.
    Manning a .50 mounted on a MRAP, or working a guard tower, or an ECP is not the same as patrolling through the Afghan mountains, conducting complex attacks on enemy forces, doing a HVT kill/capture mission etc.
    Great points. And to amplify your points, I think the general public is losing sight of what combat CAN be vice what it HAS been in the past two theaters. The media, some politicians, and advocates in general will lead the public to believe that combat is simply riding in a turret or walking around a town engaging the local populace to gain intel. Well, I hate to tell everyone, but that isn't combat. That is a Counter Insurgency (COIN) environment. Sure, actual combat occurs in these theaters. But there are very few women that have gone out actively searching for an engagement with the enemy in the manner in which infantrymen do. And it doesn't matter which service we're talking about. The last time we executed large scale, full fledged combat was the 2003 Iraq invasion. As easy as that combat was (for the most part), I can tell you right now there are VERY few females that could have kept up with the pace the infantry were keeping during that operation. I lost over 40lbs in 3 months over there and was really struggling to keep up with how fast operations were moving towards the end. I'm not a weak guy either. Find me a female that can lose 40lbs in 3 months and even have a body left to hang a pack on!

    Further, I am so sick of hearing about these "Crossfit chicks" that everyone says could make it in the infantry. Sure they could.....for a week. Then they would go to the field to train and they wouldn't get their friggin protein smoothy for a snack or 5 chicken breast, serving of broccoli lunch everyday. They wouldn't be able to workout anymore because they are doing company live fire ranges. They wouldn't be able to get their 8 hours of sleep their body needs to recover because the company is in a 50/50 watch rotation that night. It doesn't take long for the body to break down and revert to what it is naturally capable of. And the vast friggin majority of women just don't naturally have the strength to keep that sort of regimen.
    Last edited by MarineTpartier; 11-27-13 at 09:07 PM.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •