Page 59 of 86 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 860

Thread: Senate approves nuclear option

  1. #581
    Educator
    MichaelJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suckachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-25-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    you are absolutely correct. One of the reasons I keep posting the status is the wild ride that has happened so far. On 1 Sep 2013 it looked like the GOP would pick up 6 senate seats and 5 House Seats. On 1 Nov the Republicans were down to 3 senate seats and a lost of 5-10 house seats. Today going into the different sites that forecast or put the states into columns, the GOP would only pick up 4 senate seats while a lot more look promising or in the toss up column. In the house the Democrats look like 5-8 seat pick up now. Stay tuned, I always keep abreast of this stuff. It has been a hobby of mine for a very long time. The trend line is at this moment is to the Republicans advantage. In fact in party identification/affiliation the figures went from 20% Republican right after the shutdown to 23% Republican today. For the Democrats it was 30% after the shutdown, a 10 point advantage and today the Democrats are at 28%. See what I mean about trends.
    I'm REALLY curious as to which direction Virginia is going to go.

  2. #582
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,924

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    Some of them understand what you are getting at. But the truth holds no value to the Democrat lie. So they will keep on repeating the lies the leadership of the Democrat party keeps telling.
    i don't think you noticed but in the list of nominees in the 108th congress there republicans who nominated judicial nominees, that is why i see senators frist, Hagel, santorum, and McConnell's names after the name of the nominee.

    in the 113th i notice something odd, all the nominees were put forward by Harry Reid or dick Durban. Not one republican senator chose to put foword a nominee for consideration. Why is that i wonder?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  3. #583
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    I'm REALLY curious as to which direction Virginia is going to go.
    Oh yeah, I don't think McAuliff can make it a year without doing or saying something bat**** crazy.

  4. #584
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    i don't think you noticed but in the list of nominees in the 108th congress there republicans who nominated judicial nominees, that is why i see senators frist, Hagel, santorum, and McConnell's names after the name of the nominee.

    in the 113th i notice something odd, all the nominees were put forward by Harry Reid or dick Durban. Not one republican senator chose to put foword a nominee for consideration. Why is that i wonder?
    Because they won't be considered. Reid has decided to go for what he can get before the next tide change.

  5. #585
    Educator
    MichaelJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suckachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-25-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Oh yeah, I don't think McAuliff can make it a year without doing or saying something bat**** crazy.
    I certainly won't be surprised. That race was SCARY close. I can't imagine Virginia staying blue-ish if the country continues down the path it's going.

  6. #586
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    it's academic now as the genie cannot be put back in the bottle
    but i prefer a more deliberative process, where more than a simple majority is required to effect major measures
    when a greater consensus is required, there is more likely going to be more compromise involved to reach it. the passed measures are going to be more moderate and less extreme than when a lesser number is required to move legislation/approve nominees. so, my prediction is this move will allow government to operate faster, but also in a way which allows those that are more extreme to prevail. and if there is anything we do not need in government today is more extremists - on both sides of the aisle
    damn that makes lots of sense-exactly

    and within the next decade, lots of libs are going to be upset when a bunch of senators like Rubio rams some flamethrower on a court



  7. #587
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,927
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    I'm REALLY curious as to which direction Virginia is going to go.
    Mark Warner is considered totally safe or solid democrat. I haven't seen any polls on Virginia, I suppose the governors race there had priority. Possible opposition to Senator Warner is Bob Marshall and Howie Lind. Neither at this point in time look like they will mount a serious challenge to Mark.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #588
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,924

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    damn that makes lots of sense-exactly

    and within the next decade, lots of libs are going to be upset when a bunch of senators like Rubio rams some flamethrower on a court
    the old system of gentleman's agreements did not prevent the abuse of the fillibuster.

    whenever i hear that term "gentleman's agreement" i remember that a gentleman's agreement between the airplane manufacturer Macdonald-douglas and the FAA where the company promised to fix a flaw in it's new D.C-10 aircraft where the cargo door of the plane would fail to lock, and led to explosive decompression. after a near miss, Macdonald-douglas promised to fix the cargo doors on the d.c 10, but begged the FAA not to issue a order to ground the d.c 10 and go through a redesign of the cargo door.

    that gentleman's agreement did not lead to the fixing of the flaw, and the result was the crash of turkish airlines flight 981, when all 346 people on board perished when the cargo door unlocked and blew away from the aircraft, causing explosive decompression which destroyed the planes hydraulic systems and rendered the plane uncontrollable.

    if you need to get a better understanding of the accident, check the link
    Turkish Airlines Flight 981 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  9. #589
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    the old system of gentleman's agreements did not prevent the abuse of the fillibuster.

    whenever i hear that term "gentleman's agreement" i remember that a gentleman's agreement between the airplane manufacturer Macdonald-douglas and the FAA where the company promised to fix a flaw in it's new D.C-10 aircraft where the cargo door of the plane would fail to lock, and led to explosive decompression. after a near miss, Macdonald-douglas promised to fix the cargo doors on the d.c 10, but begged the FAA not to issue a order to ground the d.c 10 and go through a redesign of the cargo door.

    that gentleman's agreement did not lead to the fixing of the flaw, and the result was the crash of turkish airlines flight 981, when all 346 people on board perished when the cargo door unlocked and blew away from the aircraft, causing explosive decompression which destroyed the planes hydraulic systems and rendered the plane uncontrollable.

    if you need to get a better understanding of the accident, check the link
    Turkish Airlines Flight 981 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    that's really interesting but is completely irrelevant to the issue at hand



  10. #590
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,924

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that's really interesting but is completely irrelevant to the issue at hand
    it does show why i am skeptical of so called gentlemans agreements, including ones related to filibusters.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

Page 59 of 86 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •