Page 43 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 860

Thread: Senate approves nuclear option

  1. #421
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    And you are correct to say a Majority Leader Cruz in the future will launch his own nuke, as you would say, on legislation or a SCOTUS Justice..
    It doesn't matter to me now, since the Senate was frozen in an "Aaron Burr" filibuster on everything..
    If Repubs want to change rules back to the 67 votes to raise taxes or whatever, so be it..
    I don't see a President Christie allowing it..Frankly, I wish we could fast-forward three years from now .
    Linc, I got to get my house sold, my assets moved and get the heck out of this country. If we don't fall into that abyss of financial ruin due to the rising debt, we sure as heck will implode over this highly partisan take no prisoner toxic atmosphere in Washington. One side drop a huge bomb today in the senate to break a gridlock, now we wait to see what bomb the other side drops. But I have a feeling that the president is done getting legislation of any kind passed unless somehow the Democrats take the house next year. I may be over reacting and this may all die down soon, but I doubt it. I personally think that President Obama officially became a lame duck president today thanks to Harry Reid and his nuclear option. It is suppose to take 67 votes to change the rules of the senate, his loophole has set off a ticking time bomb.

    It is very possible that Reid won this battle by destroying the senate. I think Reid should have listen to Senator Levin. Levin is an old and wise man. You can't wait for the next 3 years to go by, it won't matter anymore how much time goes by. I also wouldn't assume if a republican wins in 2016 it will be Christie. With this nuclear option if it is a republican and the GOP does gain control of the senate and then two or three SCOTUS justices retire or die, Scallia, Thompson may look like flaming liberals compared to whom may be nominated and confirmed via the nuclear option. Good night my friend.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #422
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    So I've been reading up on this and I have.............................an opinionG.

    Since the Senate will be all Obama all the time, a great deal of new legislation that is sheer Obama is coming very, very soon.

    So by election 2014, Obama will have a tough time claiming that nobody loves him. He will OWN whatever happens next.

    If it works, it will be Democrats forever. If it fails, there will be an 8 year backlash.

    These will be interesting times. Is Obama a radical? I've seen the accusation. Now, we find out for once and all. Or is Liberalism the new way of the country. Can we relinquish our jobs and find our inner artist? Will we crash and burn? Will we create new bubbles? Will the unicorn appear in the magic garden. Will the cat become the national animal?

    Damn, I'm excited.

  3. #423
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Mr. Speclebang, is that your cat's name..Anyway, you're leaving out the other half of Congress..
    The GOP House has proven itself fully capable of doing nothing, so who cares what the Senate passes,
    like Sen. Rubio's Immigration bill, which still gets him booed in front of TEAts .
    Physics is Phun

  4. #424
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Mr. Speclebang, is that your cat's name..Anyway, you're leaving out the other half of Congress..
    The GOP House has proven itself fully capable of doing nothing, so who cares what the Senate passes,
    like Sen. Rubio's Immigration bill, which still gets him booed in front of TEAts .
    I can answer that what with all my afternoon research. He can appoint judges to courts that rule on EPA issues. Once the openings are filled with left-sympathetic judges, the EPA will clamp down on power plants. Sure, you need congress to pass certain legislation but the balance of power has shifted a great deal. Same thing for FED appointees. Obama can pick the QE sympathizers instead of QE naysayers.

  5. #425
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Linc, I got to get my house sold, my assets moved and get the heck out of this country. If we don't fall into that abyss of financial ruin due to the rising debt, we sure as heck will implode over this highly partisan take no prisoner toxic atmosphere in Washington. One side drop a huge bomb today in the senate to break a gridlock, now we wait to see what bomb the other side drops. But I have a feeling that the president is done getting legislation of any kind passed unless somehow the Democrats take the house next year. I may be over reacting and this may all die down soon, but I doubt it. I personally think that President Obama officially became a lame duck president today thanks to Harry Reid and his nuclear option. It is suppose to take 67 votes to change the rules of the senate, his loophole has set off a ticking time bomb.

    It is very possible that Reid won this battle by destroying the senate. I think Reid should have listen to Senator Levin. Levin is an old and wise man. You can't wait for the next 3 years to go by, it won't matter anymore how much time goes by. I also wouldn't assume if a republican wins in 2016 it will be Christie. With this nuclear option if it is a republican and the GOP does gain control of the senate and then two or three SCOTUS justices retire or die, Scallia, Thompson may look like flaming liberals compared to whom may be nominated and confirmed via the nuclear option. Good night my friend.
    pero, can you send me a private message explaining what crisis would the debt cause? i see all these posts about the debt being the worst thing since the plague,
    and i get frustrated why the debts seems to matter more then anything else, can you explain it to me because i don't understand what is the doomsday scenario everyone is screaming about.

    on the subject of breaking the senate rules, I think that the old system of "gentlemans agreements" on the use of the fillibuster has become impossible to sustain in this era of winner take all politics.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  6. #426
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    To the victor, should have gone the spolis..About 5 years late for Mr. Obama..
    So should Obama be able to pick who he wants since he is POTUS or just let 93 judgeships remain vacant??
    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I can answer that what with all my afternoon research. He can appoint judges to courts that rule on EPA issues. Once the openings are filled with left-sympathetic judges, the EPA will clamp down on power plants. Sure, you need congress to pass certain legislation but the balance of power has shifted a great deal. Same thing for FED appointees. Obama can pick the QE sympathizers instead of QE naysayers.
    So if Obama cannot pick members of the EPA and FED, what do you suggest..
    Should we just nullify the 2012 elections as Euros do and call new elections until the GOP wins??
    Last edited by NIMBY; 11-22-13 at 01:34 AM.
    Physics is Phun

  7. #427
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    pero, can you send me a private message explaining what crisis would the debt cause? i see all these posts about the debt being the worst thing since the plague,
    and i get frustrated why the debts seems to matter more then anything else, can you explain it to me because i don't understand what is the doomsday scenario everyone is screaming about.

    on the subject of breaking the senate rules, I think that the old system of "gentlemans agreements" on the use of the fillibuster has become impossible to sustain in this era of winner take all politics.
    Debts only matter if and when they matter. If there is some tipping point where the debt exceeds its plausible value, the currency would suffer. But if we go down, so does everybody else. So nobody wants to tip over the house of cards. So far, so good. It just seems wrong but perception is reality (they say).

  8. #428
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    So should Obama be able to pick who he wants since he is POTUS or not??
    Should we have just let 93 judgeships have remained vacant??

    So if Obama cannot pick members of the EPA and FED, what do you suggest..
    Should we just nullify the 2012 elections as Euros do and call new elections until the GOP wins??
    You know, you really ae being silly. You read all sorts of things into the most basic answer, feeling like you must defend and attack.

    I said " he can appoint judges to courts that rule on EPA issues. Once the openings are filled with left-sympathetic judges, the EPA will clamp down on power plants. Sure, you need congress to pass certain legislation but the balance of power has shifted a great deal. Same thing for FED appointees. Obama can pick the QE sympathizers instead of QE naysayers.

    How do you get invalidating the elections out of that? It's sheer information - not a political position.

  9. #429
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    My apologies for jumping to extremes,
    but I'm caught up in the wave of defending Obama from what I consider relentless attacks on you name it--24/7/365/5..

    I am surprised Reid did it now also..
    It is now obvious he had it planned, as soon as they filibustered the third appointee to the D.C. Court of Appeals..

    It was action the Senate rarely sees, every 40-years or so..
    I smirked at the GOP clerk when she put on her glasses and glanced at Reid, knowing this was a BFD .

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    You know, you really ae being silly. You read all sorts of things into the most basic answer, feeling like you must defend and attack.

    I said " he can appoint judges to courts that rule on EPA issues. Once the openings are filled with left-sympathetic judges, the EPA will clamp down on power plants. Sure, you need congress to pass certain legislation but the balance of power has shifted a great deal. Same thing for FED appointees. Obama can pick the QE sympathizers instead of QE naysayers.

    How do you get invalidating the elections out of that? It's sheer information - not a political position.
    Physics is Phun

  10. #430
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    I was referring to anyone making those threats. They will be accused of hipocrisy when they make good.
    Well, who cares? And how is it hypocritical to say "we'll use it against you" then actually do it? How is that hypocrisy?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Page 43 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •