Page 35 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 860

Thread: Senate approves nuclear option

  1. #341
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,087

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    but the nominees were being fillibustered not because of what they said or if they were unqualified. they were being blocked because obama chose them.
    Yes, which means what exactly? Now appointments will be expedited through? Good! What happens if/when Democrats lose the House/Senate? Republican nominees will be expedited through and Democrats will be fine with it? Again, I'm playing this from the perspective of a chess player. I'm looking at it 1-2 elections from now when the balance of power shifts again and Republicans hold the House AND Senate. Democrats are going to have to bite the pillow and take it. That's not something I'm willing to do because Reid is mad Obama isn't getting his way.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #342
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    To block a nomination with a simple majority a party must have control of the senate or at least 51 senators and is no longer the minority party. Now if the Republicans gain the senate in 2014, then a simple majority is just as good as a majority of 60 to invoke cloture. We're talking minority party rights which means they have 49 senators or less.

    Granted this particular nuclear option was on just judicial nominees as I understand. But the precedence has been set for which ever party has control of the senate, to invoke that option to avoid or do away with the filibuster. There is nothing that says now that the cat is out of the bag that this nuclear option can't be used on other things at the sole discretion of the senate majority leader, who ever he is or from what ever party.

    John Adams when discussing American ideals said we are "A nation of laws, not of men." But I fear this change disregarded the laws and rules and was made for the "Man." That this puts us on the slippery slope of changing this nation from the rule of law to the rule of "The Man."

    I may be wrong, I hope so. But unless a rule change like this is bipartisan it smacks of the rule of man over the rule of law and rules.
    Let's not get carried away here. The Constitution grants each chamber of Congress - House and Senate - to make their own rules. As such, the rules of each chamber are not "laws". They're just rules...guidelines on how business will be conducted within each respective chamber. Nothing more.

    Don't like the way the rules are, vote and change them. Granted, this particular rule change was a party-line vote, but for folks to act as if Republicans have never threatened to do this themselves is just two-faced. If both sides were really serious about doing "the will of the People", this would not be an issue. But instead, they're only out to either puff up their party OR punish the other side for not getting their way.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  3. #343
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    The race card--Chez--that didn't take long--remember when you guys called Clinton the first "black" President??
    No, it didn't which makes me laugh all the more harder at your argument. You had no reason to pull it...

    remember when who guys? Toni Morrison? The Congressional Black Caucus? I'm sorry, I am neither her nor they...

  4. #344
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Finally the Senate is a step closer to it's constitutional mandate which reserves super majorities for specific things, not everything.

    He should've done this 3 years ago.
    Harry Reid Railed Against Nuclear Option in 2005 He Embraces in 2013 | Mediaite
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  5. #345
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    so when you're not proud of the POTUS and get called on it CHEEZE, just cry race--pretty soon it will be "you lie"
    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    No, it didn't which makes me laugh all the more harder at your argument. You had no reason to pull it...

    remember when who guys? Toni Morrison? The Congressional Black Caucus? I'm sorry, I am neither her nor they...
    Physics is Phun

  6. #346
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    It's about time Harry.
    There will never be a payback.
    Even if, by some weird turn of events the republicons regain a senate majority...Democrats don't filibuster presidential appointments.
    That is a republicon thing .
    The party of mass obstruction is losing it's grip.
    Harry Reid Railed Against Nuclear Option in 2005 He Embraces in 2013 | Mediaite
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  7. #347
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    That phraseology tells volumes about you as well .
    Well, I've always been one to eschew obfuscation...

  8. #348
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by jakiejakester View Post
    Gee you think it would have been a smart thing to appoint someone to be our UN Ambassador who is against the UN as a body? The genius of GW Bush is never to be overlooked....
    Kirkpatrick and Moynihan were antagonistic toward the body in at least some matters. Bolton was just more so, but certainly not against the concept of the UN.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #349
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    and Sen. McConnell said why can't we have a straight up or down vote when in the majority--which McConnell face came first
    Physics is Phun

  10. #350
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, which means what exactly? Now appointments will be expedited through? Good! What happens if/when Democrats lose the House/Senate? Republican nominees will be expedited through and Democrats will be fine with it? Again, I'm playing this from the perspective of a chess player. I'm looking at it 1-2 elections from now when the balance of power shifts again and Republicans hold the House AND Senate. Democrats are going to have to bite the pillow and take it. That's not something I'm willing to do because Reid is mad Obama isn't getting his way.
    i don't care about that but i do care when minority rights are used just for the sake of political sabotage. no one knows what the outcome of the elections will be and right now there are more things to consider.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

Page 35 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •