Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 860

Thread: Senate approves nuclear option

  1. #21
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    And when you lose both houses and the presidency soon, I don't want to hear a thing from you. Paybacks are hell.
    Too late to call hypocrisy. Your guys were bitching about fillibusters non-stop when Democrats were blocking Bush appointments.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    It's about time Harry.
    There will never be a payback.
    Even if, by some weird turn of events the republicons regain a senate majority...Democrats don't filibuster presidential appointments.
    That is a republicon thing .
    The party of mass obstruction is losing it's grip.
    They don't? Really? Is this just another example of revisionist history, typical liberal/progressive meme. Nevertheless, exactly why did the nuclear option get so much attention when Frist was the Senate majority leader?...here let me help you out:

    http://www.abanet.org/poladv/priorit...08th-72604.pdf

    But in the end Frist didn't invoke this option. Reid's actions are truly a game changer...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  3. #23
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    No he removed the rule to get what he wants. The Senate has just been gridlocked. Good bye bipartisanship there. Goodbye getting anything out of the House. Hello Government Shutdown II.
    Because the GOP was being super cooperative before, right?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #24
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Thank God about damn time. About damn time Reid grew a pair.


  5. #25
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Because the GOP was being super cooperative before, right?
    The ones in the Senate were.

  6. #26
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,261

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    It's about time Harry.
    There will never be a payback.
    Even if, by some weird turn of events the republicons regain a senate majority...Democrats don't filibuster presidential appointments.
    That is a republicon thing .
    The party of mass obstruction is losing it's grip.
    I dunno, Buck. Seems like you're wrong. The Democrats' filibuster - Washington Times

  7. #27
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    You are being facetious, right?

    Tell me more about Ambassador Bolton?
    Are you aware that Sen.Graham has vowed everyone of the Presidential nominations?


  8. #28
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,730

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Inb4 the butthurt.

    Oh crap, I'm too late, it's already happened.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  9. #29
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If ideology is being used to pick the individuals I see nothing wrong with using ideology to block them. Unless of course you want to argue these individual aren't liberals and aren't being picked because they are liberals.
    Depends sorta. If they are qualified and liberal, or under another president conservative and qualified, then the appointment should not be blocked.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #30
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Senate approves nuclear option

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    So much for protect minority rights, perhaps the dems only protect minority rights when it suits them to do so. We are moving closer and closer to rule by the majority and a direct democracy. Where 50% plus 1 vote can have their way over the other 50% less 1 vote. I am disappointed, but not surprised or shocked. This is just another precedence set by a Democrat that those very same Democrats will come back hollering at the top of their lungs when in the majority, the Republicans return the favor.

    Bask in the glory is all I can say, because what goes around will come around. I would say as of today the Republican's have a 50-50 shot at gaining control of the Senate in 2014. It looks like Montana, West Virginia, South Dakota and Arkansas will change from Dem to Rep, then 2 of 3 of the following states, NC, AK and LA would give them control. These last three are in the toss up column today whereas the other 4 are in the lean Rep column. Interesting, I wonder how loud you will holler when the GOP uses Reid's precedence when they gain control? I fully expect you to support them in the same manner you are supporting Reid today. To do otherwise would be hypercritical and just show one is playing petty politics.

    In reality, this single vote doesn't bother me that much. I am just fearful of what will follow. I can see such things happening in the future if the GOP were to win the presidency in 2016 and gained the control of the senate of repealing the ACA by simple majority vote, by repealing the highest tax bracket by simple majority vote, by repealing any democratic legislation they don't like by simple majority vote. The precedence has been set.

    Either the Dems believe that they will have the majority way into the future, or they are showing us how short-sighted politicians can be when time is measured using only a "when's the next election" yardstick. Both parties are guilty of this flaw in their thinking, BTW, so it must be a common malady affecting those in politics.

Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •