Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93

Thread: Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal

  1. #1
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,216

    Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal

    The operator of Japan's wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant took the first step on Monday in the long and hazardous process of decommissioning the facility, extracting a fuel rod from its container for later removal.

    Tokyo Electric Power Co said it transferred the rod to a steel cask within the same cooling pool in a badly damaged reactor building, beginning the delicate and unprecedented task of removing 400 tonnes of highly irradiated spent fuel from that reactor.

    While battling leaks of radiation-contaminated water around the plant, which was knocked out by Japan's mammoth March 2011 earthquake and tsunami, Tepco has embarked on decommissioning four reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant. That task is likely to take decades and cost tens of billions of dollars.

    Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal | Reuters


    Prayers up for all those folks doing this job.

  2. #2
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,312

    Re: Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    The operator of Japan's wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant took the first step on Monday in the long and hazardous process of decommissioning the facility, extracting a fuel rod from its container for later removal.

    Tokyo Electric Power Co said it transferred the rod to a steel cask within the same cooling pool in a badly damaged reactor building, beginning the delicate and unprecedented task of removing 400 tonnes of highly irradiated spent fuel from that reactor.

    While battling leaks of radiation-contaminated water around the plant, which was knocked out by Japan's mammoth March 2011 earthquake and tsunami, Tepco has embarked on decommissioning four reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant. That task is likely to take decades and cost tens of billions of dollars.

    Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal | Reuters


    Prayers up for all those folks doing this job.
    You also might make a note that every Nuclear Plant in the USA has stored fuel rods in aging pools and no long term plan for their disposal. If a Nuclear Utility stops making a profit, it can declare bankruptcy and baptize us citizenry with these fuel storage pools, among other things. That is just Corporate business per usual. Bankruptcy is always an option to shed liability.

  3. #3
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    You also might make a note that every Nuclear Plant in the USA has stored fuel rods in aging pools and no long term plan for their disposal. If a Nuclear Utility stops making a profit, it can declare bankruptcy and baptize us citizenry with these fuel storage pools, among other things. That is just Corporate business per usual. Bankruptcy is always an option to shed liability.
    They don't have any plans because morons keep stopping any plans they do come up with.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #4
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,312

    Re: Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    They don't have any plans because morons keep stopping any plans they do come up with.
    That would be starting with GE, General Electric in 1953 when they stated that their engineers would have a solution for nuclear waste problem within six (6) months. That was the original justification to begin "NUKE" plants. Our classroom voted at the time to wait the six months for the solution before doing Nuke Plants. A really "Big Lie" works every time, just like Iraq has WMDs, don't you think?

  5. #5
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    That would be starting with GE, General Electric in 1953 when they stated that their engineers would have a solution for nuclear waste problem within six (6) months. That was the original justification to begin "NUKE" plants. Our classroom voted at the time to wait the six months for the solution before doing Nuke Plants. A really "Big Lie" works every time, just like Iraq has WMDs, don't you think?
    There is a solution to nuclear waste. It can be recycled. The process is easily within our capabilities and has been for decades. 95% of that "waste" is still usable.

    I'm going to suggest that you as a child were not actually aware of what did or did not justify the construction of nuclear power plants. Your classroom voted? So what? Your average adult isn't well-enough informed about nuclear engineering to form any kind of reasonable opinion. Let alone school children. The notion that your classroom had all the facts given to them prior to this vote is just ludicrous.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #6
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,312

    Re: Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    There is a solution to nuclear waste. It can be recycled. The process is easily within our capabilities and has been for decades. 95% of that "waste" is still usable.

    I'm going to suggest that you as a child were not actually aware of what did or did not justify the construction of nuclear power plants. Your classroom voted? So what? Your average adult isn't well-enough informed about nuclear engineering to form any kind of reasonable opinion. Let alone school children. The notion that your classroom had all the facts given to them prior to this vote is just ludicrous.
    Your conclusion is ludicrous. We had plenty of information, but specifically that the nuke waste would be toxic for millions of years. The impression given by GE was that they would be able to neutralize the waste. Our conclusion was really simple. No entity should be allowed to produce a hazard that doesn't die when they die. Simple responsibility. This was all about big profit and nuclear weapons and it was when Ike woke up to the insidious nature of the Military/Industrial/Corporate network.

  7. #7
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Your conclusion is ludicrous. We had plenty of information, but specifically that the nuke waste would be toxic for millions of years. The impression given by GE was that they would be able to neutralize the waste. Our conclusion was really simple. No entity should be allowed to produce a hazard that doesn't die when they die. Simple responsibility. This was all about big profit and nuclear weapons and it was when Ike woke up to the insidious nature of the Military/Industrial/Corporate network.
    All heavy metals are toxic for millions of years. Because heavy metals are toxic. Uranium happens to be one, but this also includes things like lead or gold or mercury. Do you want to stop using those entirely? This notion has us in a world without batteries or computers. Or a million other things.
    What you really mean to say is that the waste is radioactive for millions of years. But you know what? Something with a half-life of millions of years isn't a particularly dangerous radiation hazard. Because it takes millions of years to release half its energy! Have a picnic next to one of those storage ponds, the far bigger radiation risk is the sunlight. And like I said, we can recycle upwards of 95% of it. That remainder? Far safer than the waste from a coal plant. Coal waste contains uranium. So you also want to stop using coal power, apparently.

    You don't even have enough information about this now, as an adult. As a child, you certainly did not.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #8
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,312

    Re: Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    All heavy metals are toxic for millions of years. Because heavy metals are toxic. Uranium happens to be one, but this also includes things like lead or gold or mercury. Do you want to stop using those entirely? This notion has us in a world without batteries or computers. Or a million other things.
    What you really mean to say is that the waste is radioactive for millions of years. But you know what? Something with a half-life of millions of years isn't a particularly dangerous radiation hazard. Because it takes millions of years to release half its energy! Have a picnic next to one of those storage ponds, the far bigger radiation risk is the sunlight. And like I said, we can recycle upwards of 95% of it. That remainder? Far safer than the waste from a coal plant. Coal waste contains uranium. So you also want to stop using coal power, apparently.

    You don't even have enough information about this now, as an adult. As a child, you certainly did not.
    Your delightful attempt at obfuscation wouldn't confuse a two year old. It is perfectly OK with me if you make any poison you want in your own house. Eat it, drink it, stick it up your nose and because it's inside your house, that is OK with me. When your toxins invade the public domain, screw you. That is simply wrong, even if everybody is doing it. That's where global warming comes from as everybody's doing it. Many would simply refer to it as "ignorance." Why not stop by the store and get a can of tuna fish and make a nice sandwich. Probably from the Pacific. 9 out of 9 recently caught tuna tested radioactive linked to Fukushima. Have a nice sandwich.

  9. #9
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Your delightful attempt at obfuscation wouldn't confuse a two year old. It is perfectly OK with me if you make any poison you want in your own house. Eat it, drink it, stick it up your nose and because it's inside your house, that is OK with me. When your toxins invade the public domain, screw you. That is simply wrong, even if everybody is doing it. That's where global warming comes from as everybody's doing it. Many would simply refer to it as "ignorance." Why not stop by the store and get a can of tuna fish and make a nice sandwich. Probably from the Pacific. 9 out of 9 recently caught tuna tested radioactive linked to Fukushima. Have a nice sandwich.
    You've switched from storage to spillage. That's interesting. But sure, let's talk about that too.

    Coal waste invades the public domain, as does the production of half the stuff in the room you're sitting in right now. The computer you're using to type this? You don't think there was any pollution involved in its production? It's wrong, by your own admission. So stop buying electronics. Or using electricity.

    I'm perfectly comfortable eating tuna from the Pacific. (other than the fact that it tastes like tuna) Because I'm aware that even the "elevated" levels of radioactivity in those fish is still below the dangerous threshold. A banana is literally more radioactive than one of those fish. Brazil nuts are like a thousand times more radioactive. The "safe" level that the Japanese government has adopted is absurdly low. It's like putting the speed limit at one tenth of a mile per hour. A hundred times faster is still being overly cautious.

    Now, before you go and try to shove some words in my mouth, no, I am not suggesting we treat nuclear power like a toy. I'm not saying nuclear power is very safe so we should treat it in a cavalier fashion. Rather, I'm suggesting nuclear power is very safe because we treat it with such care. Fukushima was a serious accident, a massive, record-setting earthquake followed by a huge tsunami. And you know what? It was contained pretty well. It's not a testament to the dangers of nuclear power, it's a testament to just how well we've done in making it as safe as possible. Fukushima was an older, less-advanced reactor. A different, newer reactor only a couple miles away survived the event without issue. It initiated its emergency shutdown exactly as intended. Backup cooling systems operated normally until external power was restored. Zero issues.The reactor that melted down? Running past its design life. Because the NIMBY folks like yourself insist that newer, safer reactors can't be built because you're afraid of them.
    Last edited by Deuce; 11-19-13 at 09:14 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #10
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,312

    Re: Fukushima operator starts hazardous year-long fuel removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You've switched from storage to spillage. That's interesting. But sure, let's talk about that too.

    Coal waste invades the public domain, as does the production of half the stuff in the room you're sitting in right now. The computer you're using to type this? You don't think there was any pollution involved in its production? It's wrong, by your own admission. So stop buying electronics. Or using electricity.

    I'm perfectly comfortable eating tuna from the Pacific. (other than the fact that it tastes like tuna) Because I'm aware that even the "elevated" levels of radioactivity in those fish is still below the dangerous threshold. A banana is literally more radioactive than one of those fish. Brazil nuts are like a thousand times more radioactive. The "safe" level that the Japanese government has adopted is absurdly low. It's like putting the speed limit at one tenth of a mile per hour. A hundred times faster is still being overly cautious.

    Now, before you go and try to shove some words in my mouth, no, I am not suggesting we treat nuclear power like a toy. I'm not saying nuclear power is very safe so we should treat it in a cavalier fashion. Rather, I'm suggesting nuclear power is very safe because we treat it with such care. Fukushima was a serious accident, a massive, record-setting earthquake followed by a huge tsunami. And you know what? It was contained pretty well. It's not a testament to the dangers of nuclear power, it's a testament to just how well we've done in making it as safe as possible. Fukushima was an older, less-advanced reactor. A different, newer reactor only a couple miles away survived the event without issue. It initiated its emergency shutdown exactly as intended. Backup cooling systems operated normally until external power was restored. Zero issues.The reactor that melted down? Running past its design life. Because the NIMBY folks like yourself insist that newer, safer reactors can't be built because you're afraid of them.
    I don't recall debating anyone so misinformed. Fukushima was built with and inadequate seawall in a place that had stone tsunami markers identifying previous tsunami levels. These were ignored by the engineering geniuses with the hugely safe design parameters and cost effectiveness mitigating factors. Translated. Screw the people. If it happens we'll claim it was an unforeseeable act of nature and laugh all the way to the bank. Remember the stone tsunami markers. There are no excuses here. Right now the molten coriums from the three reactors are in unknown locations somewhere beneath their original locations. Most likely will cook their way into the underground flowing water that will cool them and send their deadly mother lode into the Pacific, slowly and deadly. Hubris and arrogance combine with greed to engineer a disaster of cataclysmic proportions. Yeh, them nukes gotta be wonderful stuff.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •