Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 604

Thread: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

  1. #301
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,540

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Howdy, new guy here, I found this topic interesting so I'm chiming in. Not everyone can be a Doctor, Lawyer or Indian Chief. Retail and fast food workers are what some will ever be. However there are other companies like COSTCO who realize the value of their lower level employees. They are paid well and treated like assets rather that cattle. All the while Costco still manages to turn a nice profit. You get what you pay for. COSTCO pays their employees a livable wage and gets sales per employee at double what Walmart subsidiary Sams club gets from their employees who work for lousy pay. We the tax-payer are picking up the Tab for Walmart's poor wages.

  2. #302
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    03-25-14 @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    873

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    Howdy, new guy here, I found this topic interesting so I'm chiming in. Not everyone can be a Doctor, Lawyer or Indian Chief. Retail and fast food workers are what some will ever be. However there are other companies like COSTCO who realize the value of their lower level employees. They are paid well and treated like assets rather that cattle. All the while Costco still manages to turn a nice profit. You get what you pay for. COSTCO pays their employees a livable wage and gets sales per employee at double what Walmart subsidiary Sams club gets from their employees who work for lousy pay. We the tax-payer are picking up the Tab for Walmart's poor wages.
    Welcome aboard! And that's why I shop at Costco rather than the copy that Walmart has created.

  3. #303
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    A tax break is welfare--it's mathematically equivalent to everyone paying one tax rate, and then some of them being forced to pay an additional amount to someone else.
    Tes, yes, I got that. But todays thrilling topic is FEDERAL SUBSIDIES since each community makes their own decisions to attract or discourage businesses to their area and these take too many forms to discuss here.

    Now, ethanol = subsidy. Exploration = subsidy. These are things the lovely congress traded for to reward their money bundlers.

    When WalMart gets free stuff locally, the community recovers far more than they invest. Jobs. Lots of jobs.

    I can't believe I'm defending a huge corporation whose stores I don't use but logic is more valuable than partisanship (to me).

  4. #304
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    03-25-14 @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    873

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I would argue that if small groups wanted to live as you state (see bold), there is nothing stopping them from doing so in American society. It is done...in things like communes, religious groups, etc.
    That is true, and there were hippies who started up communes in Vermont, Colorado and California back when I was young, but most, if not all of them disintegrated because without some sort of religion or institution to enforce conformity, it is difficult to keep an isolated commune together in the modern world. I used to live fairly close to a number of Mennonite communities, and they are struggling today in ways they never did before as rising populations, land values, farming regulations etc. are making more and more difficult for them to live off the land by traditional ways. Many Mennonites have had to abandon the farms and establish craft industries such as furniture making in their place. But, the changes mean trying to adapt to urban life and having to change their customs and traditions.

  5. #305
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Good grief.

    How about they pay them a freaking living wage? This is just ridiculous. Putting money before humanity is the biggest problem in the world.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #306
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Commie View Post
    That is true, and there were hippies who started up communes in Vermont, Colorado and California back when I was young, but most, if not all of them disintegrated because without some sort of religion or institution to enforce conformity, it is difficult to keep an isolated commune together in the modern world. I used to live fairly close to a number of Mennonite communities, and they are struggling today in ways they never did before as rising populations, land values, farming regulations etc. are making more and more difficult for them to live off the land by traditional ways. Many Mennonites have had to abandon the farms and establish craft industries such as furniture making in their place. But, the changes mean trying to adapt to urban life and having to change their customs and traditions.

    Then perhaps it is not a viable alternative. Or it is only for some.

    But not IMO, something to aspire to change overall society towards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #307
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    . We the tax-payer are picking up the Tab for Walmart's poor wages.
    Two wrongs dont make a right.

    I dont disagree with your post in general but there is a huge diversity of employment between doctor and burger-flipper/shelf stocker. There's nothing wrong with starting out in unskilled labor/service positions.

    But for anyone except perhaps (only perhaps since I give them a great deal of credit) the physically or mentally challenged, there is NO reason to remain in those positions. Anyone can learn, gain experience, move on or up. And then they leave those unskilled positions open for the next young people, elderly on fixed incomes, people needing part-time jobs to pay for college, medical bills, moms that have to get home when kids get home from school, etc.

    And also, one reason the jobs dont pay well is because almost none of them work 40 hours a week. (Many companies, as well as small businesses and city/state/county agencies use this strategy to limit the benefits they have to pay employees...but it certainly is not limited to big biz)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #308
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Anyone who walks into a Wal-Mart, knowing what they are, is so self centered and greedy I doubt they are even remotely willing to help someone else unless there is a tax break in it for them.
    I don't think you are being fair to many who shop at Wal-Mart. They are poor too, so are looking for the best deal they can get.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #309
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Commie View Post
    And what's to stop these corporations like Walmart from cutting in to their profit margins to maintain current price levels? It's incredulous that anyone can actually believe that a corporation that has enriched itself in the way Walmart has over the last 30 years cannot afford to pay their employees higher wages!

    It would be starting a different topic, but the root of the problem is the capitalist system itself, because nobody working for a private company can be payed back in wages what they contribute to the company through their work. Because, as we hear so frequently around here, the owners of a business...whether large or small, have to earn profits as an incentive to stay in business or to expand their business. The difference between most economic debate from left to right is how much profit is too much profit, and whether there should be brakes applied to the capitalist system. I would go in a whole new direction and advocate replacing corporate ownership with cooperative ownership, which has succeeded in a few cases, but in an overwhelming and hostile capitalist system, establishing coops...even in the cases of failed corporations is extremely difficult.
    Nothing but why should they pay more , its low menial task that require no brains . It would be entirely different thread and yes I do agree with what you are saying but unfortunately that is not the way America works . As I said before you cant take a problem like this in the middle. It is difficult its business . I don't think of it wise for me to go any farther don't want to get off direction and off topic of this thread too much .
    Guinea pigs are amazing furry creatures !!

  10. #310
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Un biased View Post
    Nothing but why should they pay more , its low menial task that require no brains . It would be entirely different thread and yes I do agree with what you are saying but unfortunately that is not the way America works . As I said before you cant take a problem like this in the middle. It is difficult its business . I don't think of it wise for me to go any farther don't want to get off direction and off topic of this thread too much .
    By the way, have you worked at a WalMart? I haven't (a Target once, for a day) but the jobs aren't "brainless".

    For example, a cousin works in the photo dept; she has to handle developing pictures and making them look as good as possible for people; she's trained on multiple machines and does some troubleshooting/fixing of them when they break.

    I worked in a shoe dept at Target for one day. You have to keep all the shelves organized, restock as needed, answer people's q's, and deal with many kinds of people.

    Cashiers have to handle the registers, items that may have their tags taken off, watch for people trying to rip the store off, etc.

    I'm not saying this needs a college degree; but no job is "brainless". Some jobs are easier to learn than others, but they all require some skills.

    And because WalMart depends on repeat customers, all of its associates have to be at least somewhat able to handle people in all their grumpiness and greed.

    I know after working in the shoe dept for the one day I fled gratefully to another job I was offered just after the Target job - paste-up at a newspaper. But my roommate (I was in college) worked at Target her final two years. Not an easy job, actually.

Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •