Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 604

Thread: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

  1. #231
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The WalMart heirs - 4 of them - only have $20 BILLION dollars each so - accordingly to Obama - are SO poor they needed government welfare in the form of exemption from ObamaCare.
    According to you, they shouldn't have even been asked to provide decent insurance for their employees in the first place.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #232
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    I admire your passion and respect your point of view, but I also detect the brand of idealism that is unique to conservatism, which is that it is within anyone's power to better their position and that therefore people are responsible for themselves and not nearleach other. While I as well would prefer an economy based on high-skill, innovation, invention, and higher education for all, I also recognize that even doctors and scientists need store clerks and janitors in order to function. Where we disagree is that these latter positions should be stepping stones to the former in order to achieve a basic quality of life. There will never be enough room for everyone to have a highly valuable job, or even climb up to one within their lifetime, and I don't think people should essentially be second-class citizens for not doing so.
    I don't disagree with much of what you've said except for the last line. I'm not the one considering people who hole "entry level" or "service" jobs "second-class citizens". I don't. Neither do I think that all people or even most people who hold entry level or service jobs as being unable to climb the ladder a little or a lot higher. In fact, in Walmart, that's exactly what they do. What I do think, however, is that the entry level and/or service job in our society has limited economic value and rightly so. If stocking shelves at Walmart paid a "living wage" or better, there'd be precious little incentive for a lot of people to improve their lot in life.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #233
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    Well it appears that a Cleveland, Ohio Walmart is holding a food drive so that it's employees can have a nice Holiday meal. The sign in the store, accompanied by several plastic bins, reads: "Please donate food items so associates in need can enjoy Thanksgiving dinner."

    Really? Thank goodness those people are employed so those associates don't have to get on food stamps.

    What cracks me up with some people that see nothing wrong with what Walmart is doing would probably go berserk if you wished them "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."
    Well the rich certainly ain't gonna do it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #234
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    According to you, they shouldn't have even been asked to provide decent insurance for their employees in the first place.
    Perhaps they should pull an Oprah Winfrey and give all there employees "brand new cars" too, right?

    After Walmart gives all their deserving employees all these additional benefits and increases in wages, are you going to force people to shop there when all their prices skyrocket? Because you know, don't you, that people aren't going to pay more for a package of toilet paper simply because the Walmart clan pays better wages and benefits.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #235
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,468

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I don't have anything against private charity, but if this is so important to Wal-Mart, maybe it would help if they paid their employees more. Or if it's so important to the corporate office, why don't they put these together and take care of their employees?
    Maybe it was set up by one Wal-Mart employee to help out others.

  6. #236
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,468

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    1st, its not "WalMart" it is that particular WalMart and they are doing it for employees that have faced recent severe hardships. Second...out of curiosity...do you donate the buck at the local grocery store or convenience store or wherever to contribute to the cause of the day?
    I don't. I have no idea where that money is going or if it will ever get to the people on the poster.

  7. #237
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    So you ARE innumerate,then. You think 100 is greater than 7+12+5+22+16+4+11+19+5

    No wonder,too. Who needs to think when uncle Rush has already done it for you,eh?

    Intelligent people realize that as far as employment is concerned, there is an inverse relationship between efficiency and job creation. The more efficient a company is about doing something, the fewer jobs are necessary.That may be a no brainer to most ,but the notion obviously escapes you. Walmart is quite efficient because of its centralization and streamlining compared to a series of independents all doing the same thing and that is because of all the duplication of tasks involved in various people doing things separately. That isn't to say inefficiency is necessarily a good thing or walmart is bad, but it sure does destroy this silly notion of yours and the radio pundits that provide you your talking points that Walmart somehow creates more jobs. It doesn't. All it does is concentrate more under one employer.
    the last refuge of the simpleton...invoke Rush Limbaugh. Hey...maybe throw in a "Fox News" in there for good measure!

    You are seriously dishonest or seriously uninformed. Your knowledge of community economics is just...nonexistent. Your pretense that small businesses in ANY given community employ more people than a WalMart is equally silly. Your lack of knowledge about the co-occurring economic factors should be embarrassing. Sadly, you will...soldier on...dont worry...merely a flesh wound. You've 'ad worse.

  8. #238
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,355

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Perhaps they should pull an Oprah Winfrey and give all there employees "brand new cars" too, right?

    After Walmart gives all their deserving employees all these additional benefits and increases in wages, are you going to force people to shop there when all their prices skyrocket? Because you know, don't you, that people aren't going to pay more for a package of toilet paper simply because the Walmart clan pays better wages and benefits.
    Greetingss, JC.

    Ironically, yesterday I heard someone make the grumbling statement "yeah, but it doesn't do much for me, does it?," when talking about Dairy Queen raising their prices recently due to the cost of increases in milk and other dairy products. Human nature can be counted on to look out for number one where money is concerned, I guess.

  9. #239
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    03-25-14 @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    873

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Seems like this thread went off topic before I got a chance to address the issue! So, I'll just say that a lot of the comments underline my main frustration with conservative and libertarian drones - the complete reluctance to criticize corporations, billionaires because of adherence to the holy faith of free market fundamentalism! This reminds me of how, back during the banking meltdown a few years ago, when the bankers went to the Government for bailouts to cover their bets on derivatives markets, the tea baggers and tea party activists channeled all of their rage at Obama, the Obama Administration, and the unfortunate late entries into the overinflated real estate markets, many of whom bought liar loans that shouldn't have even been legal in the first place. But, you would have to look long and hard to find any conservative or any libertarian criticize AIG Insurance, Goldmann-Sachs, or the other investment banks. The Republicans claimed that bad banks should be allowed to fail, but they conveniently dropped the subject and approved Bush's bailout once Lehman Bros. went down! But, up and down right wing opinion, there is no one to be found who criticizes corporate power or who even advances the notion that...maybe these guys are too powerful and need to be reigned in a bit!

    In the Walmart example, conservatives seem to think it's fine and dandy for the family that still has most of the shares to be sitting on a pile of cash greater in size than the net worth of the poorest half of the U.S. population! There's no criticism of Walmart for paying employees so poorly that they can qualify for relief benefits like food stamps...instead the answer is to cut off food stamps!

    Instead of Walmart asking for donations for their poorly payed employees from other poorly payed employees, how about the State says to Walmart:' no need for your charitable efforts, we're raising the minimum wage to $15.00 per hour, so you're going to have to cut into the vast treasure of wealth you have amassed through your outsourcing and low wage policies over the years.' Of course no state, local or national government is going to do it right now, because the vast majority of Democratic and Republican politicians are on the take! And are either taking money now from their corporate sponsors, or are expecting generous rewards for their services on behalf of their corporate masters after they retire from political office...heck, some are in and out of government and private business, like banks and oil companies so they can keep changing laws and regulations on behalf of their real constituents: the bankers and oil company executives. And Walmart has a piece of that action as well, like almost every other corporation.

  10. #240
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,696

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Commie View Post
    Seems like this thread went off topic before I got a chance to address the issue! So, I'll just say that a lot of the comments underline my main frustration with conservative and libertarian drones - the complete reluctance to criticize corporations, billionaires because of adherence to the holy faith of free market fundamentalism! This reminds me of how, back during the banking meltdown a few years ago, when the bankers went to the Government for bailouts to cover their bets on derivatives markets, the tea baggers and tea party activists channeled all of their rage at Obama, the Obama Administration, and the unfortunate late entries into the overinflated real estate markets, many of whom bought liar loans that shouldn't have even been legal in the first place. But, you would have to look long and hard to find any conservative or any libertarian criticize AIG Insurance, Goldmann-Sachs, or the other investment banks. The Republicans claimed that bad banks should be allowed to fail, but they conveniently dropped the subject and approved Bush's bailout once Lehman Bros. went down! But, up and down right wing opinion, there is no one to be found who criticizes corporate power or who even advances the notion that...maybe these guys are too powerful and need to be reigned in a bit!

    In the Walmart example, conservatives seem to think it's fine and dandy for the family that still has most of the shares to be sitting on a pile of cash greater in size than the net worth of the poorest half of the U.S. population! There's no criticism of Walmart for paying employees so poorly that they can qualify for relief benefits like food stamps...instead the answer is to cut off food stamps!

    Instead of Walmart asking for donations for their poorly payed employees from other poorly payed employees, how about the State says to Walmart:' no need for your charitable efforts, we're raising the minimum wage to $15.00 per hour, so you're going to have to cut into the vast treasure of wealth you have amassed through your outsourcing and low wage policies over the years.' Of course no state, local or national government is going to do it right now, because the vast majority of Democratic and Republican politicians are on the take! And are either taking money now from their corporate sponsors, or are expecting generous rewards for their services on behalf of their corporate masters after they retire from political office...heck, some are in and out of government and private business, like banks and oil companies so they can keep changing laws and regulations on behalf of their real constituents: the bankers and oil company executives. And Walmart has a piece of that action as well, like almost every other corporation.


    In short, what the state should do is pass a law that ensures that Walmart's charity drive is for EX-employees.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •