Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 604

Thread: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

  1. #191
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,152

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Honestly this is where I kind of side with Libertarians (and hardcore socialist). Take away social safety nets and those employees will burn down their stores and unionize like crazy when they can't feed their families. WalMart is a ward of the state the amount we subsidize their low costs.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  2. #192
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Honestly this is where I kind of side with Libertarians (and hardcore socialist). Take away social safety nets and those employees will burn down their stores and unionize like crazy when they can't feed their families. WalMart is a ward of the state the amount we subsidize their low costs.
    Was that how it was before the FLSA and the great society programs?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #193
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,124

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I suppose that same argument is made for celebrities that support private charities. Why don't they just give their own money and shut up? Why does any business pay only enough to attract and maintain qualified workers?
    I'd agree. Of course many celebrities do support private charities with their own money.

    I just find it a little distasteful that that Wal-Mart doesn't pay employees enough then ask customers for charity so there's a decent Thanksgiving meal. Certainly, I'd think they had the resources.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #194
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    Yes. Sooner or later Walmart will have to show people that they're ready to not only be financial leaders, but leaders in doing what is right as citizens of a community and quit acting like they're standing in a soup line while the chauffeur waits at the limousine.

    And I most certainly believe that this is going to happen in the near future after this report starts circulating in the media.

    By cracky I can't control how much they pay their workers but you watch me contact my local and state representatives and give them my
    You DO know why city and locals clamor for WalMart businesses...right? You DO understand how much money their revenue stream brings to local, city, county, and state governments, to say nothing of the jobs they provide to undereducated unskilled workers in those communities, right?

  5. #195
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I'd agree. Of course many celebrities do support private charities with their own money.

    I just find it a little distasteful that that Wal-Mart doesn't pay employees enough then ask customers for charity so there's a decent Thanksgiving meal. Certainly, I'd think they had the resources.
    1st, its not "WalMart" it is that particular WalMart and they are doing it for employees that have faced recent severe hardships. Second...out of curiosity...do you donate the buck at the local grocery store or convenience store or wherever to contribute to the cause of the day?

  6. #196
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    For those keeping track:

    Forcing Wal-Mart to increase their wages so that unskilled labor is paid on par with skilled labor, driving up the cost of goods at Wal-Mart: A-OK.

    Asking shoppers to voluntarily increase their own cost of shopping at Wal-Mart via contributions to help Wal-Mart employees: OUTRAGEOUS!!

    Further proof of two truths about liberalism:

    1) Liberals don't care what you do so long as it's mandatory.

    And

    2) Liberals are all about helping the little guy so long as they don't need to be involved.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #197
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You DO know why city and locals clamor for WalMart businesses...right? You DO understand how much money their revenue stream brings to local, city, county, and state governments, to say nothing of the jobs they provide to undereducated unskilled workers in those communities, right?
    That is just so silly. Retail businesses (and I own one btw) do not "create" jobs in the way you claim because there is a finite amount of business to be had in the first place. Consumers have so much money to spend and they spend it. All that happens when Walmart moves to town is that instead of spending it in more traditional, family run businesses (that also employ people -- like, duh), they spend it at Walmart. There is no net gain, and in fact, there is a net LOSS because Walmart concentrates the employment into fewer positions vis a vis the myriad independents.

    This isn't rocket science here, fella. All it takes is a little understanding of how things work and some basic reasoning skills.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  8. #198
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    That is just so silly. Retail businesses (and I own one btw) do not "create" jobs in the way you claim because there is a finite amount of business to be had in the first place. Consumers have so much money to spend and they spend it. All that happens when Walmart moves to town is that instead of spending it in more traditional, family run businesses (that also employ people -- like, duh), they spend it at Walmart. There is no net gain, and in fact, there is a net LOSS because Walmart concentrates the employment into fewer positions vis a vis the myriad independents.

    This isn't rocket science here, fella. All it takes is a little understanding of how things work and some basic reasoning skills.
    Why thats just horse****, son. First off...when a WalMart comes to town they arent displacing tons of mom and pop stores...thats a myth. The stores they DO displace? They dont hire NEAR the volume of personnel a WalMart does. Second...you arent thinking macro. That isnt just brok-azz Jenny from the block that is shopping at WalMart...the WalMart parking lots are FULL of people from surrounding communities as well...and those trips invariably including a good number of people stopping and buying gas nearby, buying a meal at a local restaurant nearby, getting coffee, or stopping at any other businesses along the way.

  9. #199
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Why thats just horse****, son. First off...when a WalMart comes to town they arent displacing tons of mom and pop stores...thats a myth. The stores they DO displace? They dont hire NEAR the volume of personnel a WalMart does. Second...you arent thinking macro. That isnt just brok-azz Jenny from the block that is shopping at WalMart...the WalMart parking lots are FULL of people from surrounding communities as well...and those trips invariably including a good number of people stopping and buying gas nearby, buying a meal at a local restaurant nearby, getting coffee, or stopping at any other businesses along the way.
    You must be awfully old if you are calling ME son.

    Just because you are ignorant and dogmatic, that doesn't mean everybody is. I actually run my own business. How about you?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #200
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,124

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    1st, its not "WalMart" it is that particular WalMart and they are doing it for employees that have faced recent severe hardships. Second...out of curiosity...do you donate the buck at the local grocery store or convenience store or wherever to contribute to the cause of the day?
    Sometimes. It depends. I'm just saying that if Wal-Mart cares that much, they have the tools to do something.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •