Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 604

Thread: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

  1. #181
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I spoke with a FedEx representative who handles arranging cargo containers and shipments from China, including for WalMart vendors. He explained that every year at contract time, WalMart expects suppliers to reduce their wholesale cost by 2%. When it reaches a point the vendor/supplier can't afford to lower prices and quality anymore, WalMart reps will guide them on how to shift their production from the USA to China. Of course, increasingly WalMart is opening up it's own factories in China.

    It is not JUST that WalMart buys from China. WalMart proactively moves American company operations to China - and increasingly itself is a Chinese manufacturer.
    Exactly! WalMart "lowers all boats" by pushing its suppliers to cut costs and by cutting its own employees' wages. The suppliers in turn have to cut wages and push THEIR suppliers to charge less.

    Instead of Ford's "I want everyone who works for me to be able to buy one of my cars" we get a rush to the bottom. To compete with WalMart other stores have to cut wages and cut what they pay suppliers. The spiral downward continues...and yes, people take the jobs because in this economy, what else can they get? And they shop at WalMart because their wages are so depressed that they can't afford elsewhere.

    It's really sad. It's made the Waltons rich. In my opinion, it hasn't been good for the rest of the country.

  2. #182
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Sort of like PPACA is it not?

    Nope. but nice joke.

  3. #183
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,591

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Of course not, you're a woman and are predetermined to need and be worthy of only ... what is it 76% of what a man makes doing the exact same job, even though you're more likely to be a single parent than a man.
    Care to provide a link for that bold assertion?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Their employees are paid so little that many of them qualify for food stamps and sometimes other government benefits, that is a taxpayer subsidy for Walmart.
    So Walmart is supposed to pay its workers a market-inefficient wage just so they don't qualify for certain government benefits? I'm sorry, is Wal-mart no longer a private enterprise anymore? Does the government own them?

    Your argument is absurd.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Got all your shill talking points lined up tonite?!?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Here to post on anyone to your perceived left??
    Or just a corporate shill??
    Thanks for contributing. Have a nice day.

  6. #186
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,805

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    good to see you back at it for Wal-Mart Gipper
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Thanks for contributing. Have a nice day.
    Physics is Phun

  7. #187
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,591

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Their employees are paid so little that many of them qualify for food stamps and sometimes other government benefits, that is a taxpayer subsidy for Walmart.
    No that is a taxpayer subsiby given to all low wage workers that have dependents. Walmart pays no less than many mom & pop shops. Pay is based on what is required to attract and maintain qualified workers - not upon how many people they expect to be able to support on that paycheck.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    good to see you back at it for Wal-Mart Gipper
    Nice try. I personally don't care for Wal-mart. I shop there, but mostly be necessity. I think the customer service is lousy, I think the way they bust unions borders on the paranoid, and I think that they exact a certain level of social death through their perceived policies.

    I also think that they should be able to legally perform duties of commerce through state and federal policies, and pay their workers a wage that allows them to do business while staying above a set minimum wage that I don't agree with anyway.

    What do you have? Some empty claims based on "ew, Wal-mart is yucky"? If you want to make a fiscal or economic argument as to why they are oh-so-evil, without getting into stupid, non-economic terms that the economically challeged use like "fair", "slavery", and "livable wage", I'm listening.

    Otherwise, you can leave. I don't need exposed to hysterical cries and temper tantrums.

  9. #189
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,160

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Not all that work for Walmart's low wages are poor. A quick look at the federal poverty level will confirm that. For many of these workers that low wage Walmart job is a second or even third income in their household. For those few low wage Walmart workers that have large families and little or no other income this is likely a welcome helping hand as they can then afford to feed their extended family and guests too. Why is private charity seen as bad by those constantly demanding that ever more charity be given by the gov't?
    I don't have anything against private charity, but if this is so important to Wal-Mart, maybe it would help if they paid their employees more. Or if it's so important to the corporate office, why don't they put these together and take care of their employees?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #190
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,591

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I don't have anything against private charity, but if this is so important to Wal-Mart, maybe it would help if they paid their employees more. Or if it's so important to the corporate office, why don't they put these together and take care of their employees?
    I suppose that same argument is made for celebrities that support private charities. Why don't they just give their own money and shut up? Why does any business pay only enough to attract and maintain qualified workers?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •