Page 15 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 604

Thread: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

  1. #141
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Socializing costs? Wal-mart? WHAT?

    Walmart is a limited example of perfect competition, along with minor elements of monopolistic competition. They carry no specialized products. There are no items that you get at Wal-mart that you couldn't easily get somewhere else around town or down the road. They don't dictate costs. The market does. They are successful at what they do because they offer a convenient one-stop feel with low prices (artificially kept just below market by corporate subsidies - which I am against, but not to some absurd level). Wal-mart is nothing but a middleman.

    You cannot socialize costs for products that are considered elastic. They are price-independent and are only adjusted based upon effects in supply.
    The socialized costs are what the taxpayers pick up because Walmart won't.

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    The socialized costs are what the taxpayers pick up because Walmart won't.
    Name me some of these costs.

    [Edit] - Before I start down that road, I seriously hope that you're not counting brief periods of tax abatement and municipality-based infrastructure costs as "socialized". If you do, you're wrong. Those are contained externalities.
    Last edited by Gipper; 11-18-13 at 10:30 PM.

  3. #143
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Name me some of these costs.
    Food stamps
    Free and reduced lunch
    Medicaid
    Welfare benefits based on state
    corporate subsidies

  4. #144
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Of course not, you're a woman and are predetermined to need and be worthy of only ... what is it 76% of what a man makes doing the exact same job, even though you're more likely to be a single parent than a man.
    Nope, not true in my experience. I make as much as, or more than any man I know, who does the same job that I do.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Food stamps
    Free and reduced lunch
    Medicaid
    Welfare benefits based on state
    corporate subsidies
    The last has already been addressed. Wal-mart has absolutely no impact on the rest, other than that they are an employer of uneducated bitc...people who have zero differentiated labor and zero market-based skill sets - and pay them as such.

    You may as well go blame every retailer, every fast food chain, and every last establishment with employees that a trained chimp can replace.

    Your problem shouldn't be with the employer. It should be with the employees who have decided not to make themselves important or invaluable in the workplace. For some odd reason, you seem to be an advocate of shirking responsibility away from them and blaming it on corporations for the simple reason that they are successful.

  6. #146
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    The last has already been addressed. Wal-mart has absolutely no impact on the rest, other than that they are an employer of uneducated bitc...people who have zero differentiated labor and zero market-based skill sets - and pay them as such.

    You may as well go blame every retailer, every fast food chain, and every last establishment with employees that a trained chimp can replace.

    Your problem shouldn't be with the employer. It should be with the employees who have decided not to make themselves important or invaluable in the workplace. For some odd reason, you seem to be an advocate of shirking responsibility away from them and blaming it on corporations for the simple reason that they are successful.
    No, you're shirking responsibly away from the corporation(s) that runs such a model and blaming it's employees. One of these two things has far more power and with great power comes great responsibility.

  7. #147
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Anyone who walks into a Wal-Mart, knowing what they are, is so self centered and greedy I doubt they are even remotely willing to help someone else unless there is a tax break in it for them.
    One of the things I hate about the socio-political hysteria that has taken this otherwise great country by storm is that if you're poor, you can't catch a break. No matter what you do, some asshole who doesn't know what the **** they're talking about is going to tell you what's wrong with you.

    Depending on what wingnut is screaming into the megaphone at any given moment, the poor are lazy, uneducated, lacking ambition, slobs, parasites, mindless drones, criminals, con men, or in your case self-centered greedy supporters of evil corporate vampires who give not a thought for any other human being absent a financial incentive to do so.

    I shop at Walmart for the same reason my next-door neighbors works there -- because we don't have a lot of money, but we've got plenty of obligations and have to do whatever it takes to meet them. I've got a wife and two kids, so I work for a boss I hate for not enough money and no raises in the last 10 years -- then walk into Walmart to spend less and get more. My neighbor has two kids in college, so she walks into Walmart to work a job she hates for not enough money so that she can keep paying tuition -- then she gets out of work at that job and goes to work for another corporate empire so she can pay the rent.

    It must be nice, sitting on that high horse you built for yourself, looking down on those of us who are just trying to get by. You may not be a Democrat or a Republican, but you reflect some of the many damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't-because-you're-a-moral-degenerate-if-you're-poor attitudes that make me hate both parties and hate American politics and will one day make me hate America as a whole.

    Until the day comes that you're offering myself and others like me a legitimate alternative to our self-centered greed, close your mouth and stop talking because we don't care about your opinion. Your opinion won't put food on our tables, pay our bills, or keep clothes on our kids' backs.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #148
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Bunk. If you raise the wage, you raise the threshold. Poverty is determined by factors such as the CPI and median wages. You raise the floor, you raise everything above it. If anything, a minimum wage increase would raise the percentage of people living below the poverty level. The raise would start to catch people with wages slightly above minimum wage and the poverty level because those jobs would not be reintroduced into the marketplace with a wage of a similar percentage above MW as before.
    Here to post on anyone to your perceived left??
    Or just a corporate shill??
    Physics is Phun

  9. #149
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Name me some of these costs.

    [Edit] - Before I start down that road, I seriously hope that you're not counting brief periods of tax abatement and municipality-based infrastructure costs as "socialized". If you do, you're wrong. Those are contained externalities.
    Got all your shill talking points lined up tonite?!?!?!
    Physics is Phun

  10. #150
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    If I could like your Post more than once, I would TED..I feel a bit guilty for not having kids but being a retired teacher still involved with kids allows me to feel your anxst..just know that it will be worth it as with your neighbor when her kids graduate college--career--marriage--grands--etc .
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    One of the things I hate about the socio-political hysteria that has taken this otherwise great country by storm is that if you're poor, you can't catch a break. No matter what you do, some asshole who doesn't know what the **** they're talking about is going to tell you what's wrong with you.

    Depending on what wingnut is screaming into the megaphone at any given moment, the poor are lazy, uneducated, lacking ambition, slobs, parasites, mindless drones, criminals, con men, or in your case self-centered greedy supporters of evil corporate vampires who give not a thought for any other human being absent a financial incentive to do so.

    I shop at Walmart for the same reason my next-door neighbors works there -- because we don't have a lot of money, but we've got plenty of obligations and have to do whatever it takes to meet them. I've got a wife and two kids, so I work for a boss I hate for not enough money and no raises in the last 10 years -- then walk into Walmart to spend less and get more. My neighbor has two kids in college, so she walks into Walmart to work a job she hates for not enough money so that she can keep paying tuition -- then she gets out of work at that job and goes to work for another corporate empire so she can pay the rent.

    It must be nice, sitting on that high horse you built for yourself, looking down on those of us who are just trying to get by. You may not be a Democrat or a Republican, but you reflect some of the many damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't-because-you're-a-moral-degenerate-if-you're-poor attitudes that make me hate both parties and hate American politics and will one day make me hate America as a whole.

    Until the day comes that you're offering myself and others like me a legitimate alternative to our self-centered greed, close your mouth and stop talking because we don't care about your opinion. Your opinion won't put food on our tables, pay our bills, or keep clothes on our kids' backs.
    Physics is Phun

Page 15 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •