Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 604

Thread: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    The grocery stores in my area pay their employees decent wages and benefits. It can be done. The reason those people get paid decent wages and benefits are because of the public that made sure they kept Walmart out of their communities.
    Good for them. They have that right. If they don't want Wal-mart and would rather propel mom-and-pop joints within the community, more power to 'em. Ultimately, they have the power to decide that.

    Some people would rather pay a little bit more for better customer service and to preserve a feel around a small community. I support them. What I don't support is anyone who tries to interfere with Wal-mart performing business as usual, or complaining about wages.

    If they had arguments that didn't revolve around "b-b-b-b-but that's not FAIR!" or "but they have it, that means they should give it away!", I'd listen. Unfortunately, they don't.

  2. #112
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Meh, if Walmart wants to come in, they'll come in. As far as your grocery stores, I'd bet you a nickel that your prices are far and away higher than Walmart's prices. That's how they can afford to pay their people more. I think I said this a few pages back.
    Looking at Wal Mart's pay scales doesn't show that they pay so poorly. Everyone starts at the bottom but can work their way up. So, some of the lowest employees might not be paid too well but look at the pay scales.

    WALMART PAY SCALES

    Better than no job at all.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Meh, if Walmart wants to come in, they'll come in. As far as your grocery stores, I'd bet you a nickel that your prices are far and away higher than Walmart's prices. That's how they can afford to pay their people more. I think I said this a few pages back.
    There's really no argument against it. In the town I live outside of, there are two grocery stores - the "local one", and Piggly Wiggly (which is considered a co-op, 100% owned by employees). While the prices aren't absurdly different, everyone knows where the cheaper groceries are. Of course, the Piggly Wiggly is bigger, therefore the selection is a bit bigger.

    The best part is that the profit margin is greater with Piggly Wiggly, due to superior suppliers (it makes sense - they're larger).

    As such, if people want to pay...oh, 10-15% more for their groceries so that they can "give back", that's fine. I go where my dollar stretches more.

  4. #114
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Good for them. They have that right. If they don't want Wal-mart and would rather propel mom-and-pop joints within the community, more power to 'em. Ultimately, they have the power to decide that.

    Some people would rather pay a little bit more for better customer service and to preserve a feel around a small community. I support them. What I don't support is anyone who tries to interfere with Wal-mart performing business as usual, or complaining about wages.

    If they had arguments that didn't revolve around "b-b-b-b-but that's not FAIR!" or "but they have it, that means they should give it away!", I'd listen. Unfortunately, they don't.
    Well, at least I can fully agree to the first part of your post. I disagree with your second part because it takes a strong grass root opposition to come up against a Goliath.

  5. #115
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,689

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    As a tax payer, I don't have a problem paying for resources for military personnel. That is not at all the same as paying for a private businesses. As an aside, I think our military deserve better.
    I do, too. My husband was career military.

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Well, at least I can fully agree to the first part of your post. I disagree with your second part because it takes a strong grass root opposition to come up against a Goliath.
    All it takes is people sticking to their guns. The problem is that you cannot force other people to stick to them.

    It's basically the same argument for socialism. Socialism requires what you do to keep Wal-mart out. It's why it doesn't pan out in application. However, if enough people committed, then it's quite easy. Wal-mart won't build (or stay) where it's not profitable. If they open doors and people don't come in, they leave. That's the joy of capitalism - the profit motive dictates all. You vote with your wallet.

    If you can convince people in a large scale to do this, you can prove me wrong in my belief that socialism and anarcho-syndicalism is the habitat of children and fools.

  7. #117
    Student BasicGreatGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    01-31-14 @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    163

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    Well it appears that a Cleveland, Ohio Walmart is holding a food drive so that it's employees can have a nice Holiday meal. The sign in the store, accompanied by several plastic bins, reads: "Please donate food items so associates in need can enjoy Thanksgiving dinner."

    Really? Thank goodness those people are employed so those associates don't have to get on food stamps.

    What cracks me up with some people that see nothing wrong with what Walmart is doing would probably go berserk if you wished them "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."
    I have no problem with what Walmart is doing here. Some employees don't work full time or can't work full time. Some employees have outside circumstances they may be dealing with, that puts a burden on them financially. There are a plethora of possibilities at play here.

    I would much rather it be administered in this manner, versus at the government perceived entitlement level.
    Last edited by BasicGreatGuy; 11-18-13 at 09:31 PM.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams

  8. #118
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Wal-Mart = costing Uncle Sam untold billions every year due to poverty wages..
    Physics is Phun

  9. #119
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    All it takes is people sticking to their guns. The problem is that you cannot force other people to stick to them.

    It's basically the same argument for socialism. Socialism requires what you do to keep Wal-mart out. It's why it doesn't pan out in application. However, if enough people committed, then it's quite easy. Wal-mart won't build (or stay) where it's not profitable. If they open doors and people don't come in, they leave. That's the joy of capitalism - the profit motive dictates all. You vote with your wallet.

    If you can convince people in a large scale to do this, you can prove me wrong in my belief that socialism and anarcho-syndicalism is the habitat of children and fools.
    Problem is people complain endlessly about the expanding welfare state with due diligence but then some of these same people either don't realize or care about what they are really paying out of their wallets when they shop at places like Walmart. If they don't mind growing the a Welfare state and prefer to buy cheap Chinese goods at Walmart so be it. To me that reeks of a socialist model as the public must have the cost socialized to them.

  10. #120
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

    So the OP says:
    Walmart is holding a food drive so that it's employees can have a nice Holiday meal.

    Isn't that what the Conservatives want? Charity instead of welfare? Isn't that what Liberals want? Sharing the wealth?

    So, what is all the bitching about. WalMart pays a little on the low side but they hire those without FOA (you either know what that mens or you don't). So why are they being slammed here? All they seems to be asking is that those with the higher wages kick down a few food items (they can buy them at WalMart) for the part time or large family workers.

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •