Page 72 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 1069

Thread: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida [W:351]

  1. #711
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    While the right certainly has a denial aspect to it when we consider all things african american, the left often assumes all imbalances can be explained away by current appeals to systemic racism.
    This is the sort of denialist nonsense we often see from the right.

    On the left, many problems experienced by blacks are widely recognized as being caused by poverty. While racism is often cited as a cause of poverty, it is rarely cited as the sole cause of poverty as the existence of white poor people clearly demonstrates that racism is not the only cause
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #712
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    I can understand that point. Can you tell me why, in your opinion, it would be key to consider drug type?
    Cocaine is generally more used by wealthy people and blacks are disproportionately represented therein. Using cocaine as the bench mark necessarily moves the study away from lower income households and, thus, away from the black population. Do the same study with crack and the results would be inverse.

  3. #713
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Talk about being lead! That's nothing more than a Con pundit line that you have bought hook line and sinker.
    oh please, the democrats have claimed to be the "champions" of the poor and minorities for 50 years. after all that time and promises, the poor and minorities are little better off than they were in the 70s.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #714
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    oh please, the democrats have claimed to be the "champions" of the poor and minorities for 50 years. after all that time and promises, the poor and minorities are little better off than they were in the 70s.
    Didn't you hear? You end poverty by making people comfortable with poverty.

  5. #715
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Cocaine is generally more used by wealthy people and blacks are disproportionately represented therein. Using cocaine as the bench mark necessarily moves the study away from lower income households and, thus, away from the black population. Do the same study with crack and the results would be inverse.
    But the intent of the study if not to determine if the use of any particular drug is more common among blacks or whites. The intent of the study is to determine if "drug use" is more prevalent with one group more then another.


    Either way, from the article:

    The study, which was published Monday in the Archives of General Psychiatry, controlled for variables like socioeconomic status because rates of severe drug problems tend to be greater amongst the poor

    Read more: Study: Whites More Likely to Abuse Drugs Than Blacks | TIME.com Study: Whites More Likely to Abuse Drugs Than Blacks | TIME.com
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  6. #716
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    oh please, the democrats have claimed to be the "champions" of the poor and minorities for 50 years. after all that time and promises, the poor and minorities are little better off than they were in the 70s.
    And if that is accurate you think that the only contributing factor is the social programs instituted to help them overcome racist obstacles? Wouldn't that be swell. If the world were actually so simple that we could trace all of our troubles back to just ONE cause. Welcome to Mayberry.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  7. #717
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    But the intent of the study if not to determine if the use of any particular drug is more common among blacks or whites. The intent of the study is to determine if "drug use" is more prevalent with one group more then another.


    Either way, from the article:

    The study, which was published Monday in the Archives of General Psychiatry, controlled for variables like socioeconomic status because rates of severe drug problems tend to be greater amongst the poor

    Read more: Study: Whites More Likely to Abuse Drugs Than Blacks | TIME.com Study: Whites More Likely to Abuse Drugs Than Blacks | TIME.com
    check the actual statistics, instead of some OP/ED piece:

    As the following chart shows, marijuana usage rates are roughly equal for blacks and whites:
    Of the major racial/ethnic groups, the rate of drug use is highest among the American Indian/Native American population (10.6%) and those reporting mixed race (11.2%), followed by African Americans (7.7%), Hispanics (6.8%), whites (6.6%). The lowest rates are found among the Asian population. (3.2%).
    In 2011, among persons aged 12 or older, the rate of current illicit drug use was lowest among Asians (3.8 percent) (Figure 2.11). The rates were 8.4 percent among Hispanics, 8.7 percent among whites, 10.0 percent among blacks, 11.0 percent among Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders, 13.4 percent among American Indians or Alaska Natives, and 13.5 percent among persons of two or more races.
    In 2010, among persons aged 12 or older, the rate of current illicit drug use among Asians was similar to that among Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders (3.5 and 5.4 percent, respectively), but the rate among Asians was lower than among other racial/ethnic groups (Figure 2.10). The rate among persons of two or more races was similar to that among American Indians or Alaska Natives and among blacks (12.5, 12.1, and 10.7 percent, respectively). The rate was 8.1 percent among Hispanics and 9.1 percent among whites.
    actual statistics from sources such as the CDC and the National Survey on Drug Use and Health clearly show that whites are no more likely to abuse drugs than blacks.

    Don't know about you, but I'd trust the CDC, the Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality (CBHSQ), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and RTI International over the Huffington Post and Time.com any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #718
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    And if that is accurate you think that the only contributing factor is the social programs instituted to help them overcome racist obstacles? Wouldn't that be swell. If the world were actually so simple that we could trace all of our troubles back to just ONE cause. Welcome to Mayberry.
    strawman much? I never said or implied any such thing.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #719
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Actually it isn't, as I had asked previously.
    It got mistakenly edited out in one of the many edits I make.

    I guess you didn't see it before it was changed.
    So then yes, it is the first you ask for it. You editing it out and me not seeing it makes that post the first time I saw you asking for evidence.

    And yet you have failed to provide proof this time. You know it has been asked for, you you fail to provide it. Figures.
    I did. I posted the definition of "defense" what the police did most certainly qualifies as that.

    Secondly; You clarified what you asked when you you said it was about the Police Department.

    The way you are now trying to portray your question, (obviously because you are angry for being called on its inflammatory wording), Is absolutely absurd.
    Under your portrayal now, the police also have defended him when they had him safely behind bars. Making your question ridiculous.
    You really should learn to relax and not become so inflamed by questions that cause anger. If the question makes you angry and your opinion is that it is inflammatory you should take some time off the computer.

    But of course that isn't what you originally meant, even though you are now trying to deflect by indicating it was.
    Truly sad.
    You must have a magic ball of some sort.

    No they did not.
    The Department in the course of performing it's duties or even the individual Officers doing theirs, had nothing to do with supporting him.
    They doing their jobs is not support of him.
    You are being ridiculously absurd.
    No need to ad hom simply because you are inflamed and don't like a question. Your opinion is well received, but under the definitions of "defend", the police certainly defended George Zimmerman's account. The definitions for it haven't changed.

    And apparently it is because you are angry because he was acquitted.
    Oh, not at all. I'm perfectly calm sipping on some green tea.

    The only one here angry, is you. The very question you made is one of anger.

    How absurd.
    Going with the evidence does not make on a hypocrite. But it does say volumes of your actual connection to reality.
    You really try to come back before speaking anymore.
    Your argument boils down to you not liking the definition of defend, you finding things absurd, and you being inflamed. Your emotional response is acknowledged but it's not based on any fact. Facts are that George Zimmerman was defended by the police both physically and then again they supported his side of the story. If you don't like those facts, you're more than welcome to petition Merriam-Webster and change the definition of defend. I'm also sorry if my questions arise anger in you. However, you must realize that my question remains:

    Will the police who defended George Zimmerman when he killed a black teenager, defend him now that he has threatened a white woman?

    I await the answer.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-22-13 at 04:56 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #720
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So then yes, it is the first you ask for it.
    As it had been posted. You are wrong.



    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I did. I posted the definition of "defense" what the police did most certainly qualifies as that.

    You really should learn to relax and not become so inflamed by questions that cause anger. If the question makes you angry and your opinion is that it is inflammatory you should take some time off the computer.

    You must have a magic ball of some sort.



    No need to ad hom simply because you are inflamed and don't like a question. Your opinion is well granted, but under the definitions of "defend", the police certainly defended George Zimmerman's account.

    Oh, not at all. I'm perfectly calm sipping on some green tea.

    Your argument boils down to you not liking the definition of defend, you finding things absurd, and you being inflamed. Your emotional response is granted, but it's not based on any fact. Facts are that George Zimmerman was defended by the police both physically then they supported his side of the story. If you don't like those facts, you're more than welcome to petition Merriam-Webster and change the definition of defend.
    Still being absurd huh?
    Figures.
    The only anger being shown is by you and your false claim that the Department defended him, when it is clear they did not.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 72 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •