Page 70 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 1069

Thread: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida [W:351]

  1. #691
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    It's contained in the headline of one of the sources you cited ...
    Since it's not the statement I was addressing anyway I don't really care. Besides, I wasn't responding to you.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  2. #692
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    point being: since whites outnumber blacks by a factor of 6 to 1, it is dishonest to use raw numbers to make a claim that whites are bigger drug users, when all the evidence clearly shows that regardless of race, people in the US use illegal drugs at about the same rate.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #693
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Since it's not the statement I was addressing anyway I don't really care. Besides, I wasn't responding to you.
    well, when someone so dishonestly misrepresents their data it calls into question their value as a source

  4. #694
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Are you inflamed? Take a Midol, then, answer my question. Bet ya won't.
    That's because your question is foolish, and irrelevant. The problems Z has with domestic situations is most likely due to his own poor choice in women, coupled with mental issues. Not his acquittal.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #695
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Without getting into a debate about the CDC figures presented earlier, these disproportionate outcomes can be addressed by many things and should not be simply assumed to be the product of racism. For example, drug distribution networks are often ethnically based and centered in poorer communities. With those in african american majority areas operating openly and being very easily accessible to law enforcement for those reasons. There are also other effects that poverty unfortunately has, like access to adequate legal representation, etc
    Every aspect of this issue has been studied from virtually every angle. Racism is at the core of arrests, probation, and sentencing and this conclusion is well known.

    In Order to Address Racism, We Must Confront the Drug War | Drug Policy Alliance
    excerpt

    Revealed throughout the Zimmerman trial, as Trayvon Martin’s character was scrutinized for signs of how threatened Zimmerman may have felt by him, was the uncomfortable truth that racism results in black men being commonly viewed as menacing simply for being human.

    From clothing to intoxicants, what is normal and innocuous in another context becomes sinister when associated with black men and boys. Mark Zuckerberg’s hoodie is a sign of millennial individuality and irreverence, whereas Trayvon’s hoodie is a sign of being a “wannabe gangster.” From Martha Stewart to Justin Bieber, marijuana is becoming increasingly socially acceptable. And although no one recommends marijuana use by teenagers, when was the last time someone made a case for justifiable homicide of a suburban white kid by noting trace amounts of THC found in their system, as was done in the case of Trayvon?

    Being black means living a life saturated by double standards. When the skin you live in is viewed as inherently suspicious, anything you do can provoke fear and hostility. It takes a special effort to convince people of the humanity and worth of a young black man in a way that is not required for others. The day after the Zimmerman verdict, a friend and I went to see the film “Fruitvale Station,” a poignant and powerful account of the life of Oscar Grant, a young black man from Oakland, and the events leading up to his death at the hands of a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) officer in 2009.

    Trayvon and Oscar were from opposite sides of the country and in many ways lived different lives but in the aftermath of their murders, as arguments were put forth for why they could have been seen as suspicious or potentially threatening, a history of involvement with drugs was cited. Drugs remain an enduring part the collection of social and historical biases commonly summoned to put the character of young black men under a microscope. The underlying assumption seems to be it is not so much a matter what you do but who you are.

    From caffeine to nicotine to aspirin to alcohol, when was the last time most of us have experienced a truly “drug free” day in our lives? By and large, we regularly consume some sort of substance that alters how we feel or offers pleasure instead of pain. This is why drug prohibition has been such a pernicious tool for perpetuating bias, corruption and bigotry. When the power is granted to selectively criminalize behavior that everyone engages in, unequal applications of law and social judgment are inevitable. This is why civil rights advocate and academic Michelle Alexander calls the drug war “The New Jim Crow.”

    Frank conversations about race at the national level are long overdue. If any good is to come from the Trayvon Martin tragedy, hopefully it will include bringing this dialogue to the forefront. But we absolutely cannot talk about race without talking about the war on drugs. This failed social experiment not only leads to the disproportionate targeting, arrest, conviction and incarceration of people of color, despite equal rates of drug consumption across race, it fuels the underlying thread of judgment, stigma and marginalization that permeates how we value human life and enable acts of violence.

    ***

    If FAR more whites are using illegal drugs than anyone else in this country, and illegal drugs are being used at the same rates .. then how is it that non-white people are the icon for drug use?

    Racism

  6. #696
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    There’s a perception among many individuals that African Americans as a group — regardless of socioeconomic status — tend to abuse or use drugs at higher rate and this [does not support] that.”

    Read more: Study: Whites More Likely to Abuse Drugs Than Blacks | TIME.com Study: Whites More Likely to Abuse Drugs Than Blacks | TIME.com

    Study: Whites More Likely to Abuse Drugs Than Blacks | TIME.com

    According to the federal Centers for Disease Control, he's (white male youth )4 times more likely than his African- American classmate to be a regular cocaine user.

    White Kids Are Much More Likely to Use and Sell Drugs, Yet Black Kids Are More Likely to Go to Prison

    Seems to be quite a bit of information available to support this claim. In addition, and I'll provide sources if you would like, they are disproportionately arrested for it are more likely to be convicted and get harsher sentencing when they are.
    Absolutely correct.

  7. #697
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,047

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That's because your question is foolish, and irrelevant. The problems Z has with domestic situations is most likely due to his own poor choice in women, coupled with mental issues. Not his acquittal.
    That's not what I asked at all and you're still ducking and dodging.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #698
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    Every aspect of this issue has been studied from virtually every angle. Racism is at the core of arrests, probation, and sentencing and this conclusion is well known.
    you keep posting opnion pieces. I suggest figuring out the difference between actual data supporting your argument and someone basically making assertions on the internet

    If FAR more whites are using illegal drugs than anyone else in this country, and illegal drugs are being used at the same rates .. then how is it that non-white people are the icon for drug use?
    I'm not sure they are.

  9. #699
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    you keep posting opnion pieces. I suggest figuring out the difference between actual data supporting your argument and someone basically making assertions on the internet



    I'm not sure they are.
    So much for your grasp of statistics.

  10. #700
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: George Zimmerman Arrested Again In Central Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    you keep posting opnion pieces. I suggest figuring out the difference between actual data supporting your argument and someone basically making assertions on the internet



    I'm not sure they are.
    Results from the 2010 NSDUH: Summary of National Findings, SAMHSA, CBHSQ


    Figure 2.10: who is at the top of the chart?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 70 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •