Page 69 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 888

Thread: Republicans mount shock comeback, erase Democrats’ edge in eyes of Americans

  1. #681
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Down in the holler
    Last Seen
    03-17-15 @ 08:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,212

    Re: Republicans mount shock comeback, erase Democrats’ edge in eyes of Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    "ones physical location".... oh my! I am talking about where you have made a choice to live in the nation of your choice with the laws of your choice and with the customs, responsibilities and obligations of your choice.
    First you talk about an individual voluntarily entering into relationships with other individuals. And we agree that when two (or more) people voluntarily agree to a relationship that they can agree to rules that are part of that relationship.

    But then you introduce this notion of location. I don't see what one's location has to do with any relationships one might have, enter into, or leave.

  2. #682
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,776

    Re: Republicans mount shock comeback, erase Democrats’ edge in eyes of Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    First you talk about an individual voluntarily entering into relationships with other individuals. And we agree that when two (or more) people voluntarily agree to a relationship that they can agree to rules that are part of that relationship.

    But then you introduce this notion of location. I don't see what one's location has to do with any relationships one might have, enter into, or leave.
    There are none so blind as they who will not see.

    You made a free choice to reside in America. You made that choice. Perhaps a child can make the case otherwise but if you are an adult - you made that choice. You confirm that choice each and every day you remain here. You voluntarily entered into the status of a resident and are subject to all the laws and rules of any citizen and you do so willingly. You are free at any time to leave if you object - but you do not and your continued status is voluntary.

    This is NOT ABOUT LOCATION so flush that away with the other nonsense. This is about your free choice that you have exercised and the acceptance of what comes with that free choice.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #683
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Down in the holler
    Last Seen
    03-17-15 @ 08:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,212

    Re: Republicans mount shock comeback, erase Democrats’ edge in eyes of Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Taxation is part of the accepted rules of behavior in our society and that meets with your definition - your standard - that you introduced.

    See, that was pretty easy once you provided your standard.
    Okay, so you think it is ethical to take money from one person and give it to another. Thank you finally taking a stand and stating you position.

    So that is where you and I differ on this. I think it is unethical to take what belongs to one person and give it to another. You, on the other hand, consider it ethical.

    So you would think it is ethical for me to come to your home and take your TV and give it to my neighbor?

  4. #684
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,776

    Re: Republicans mount shock comeback, erase Democrats’ edge in eyes of Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    Okay, so you think it is ethical to take money from one person and give it to another. Thank you finally taking a stand and stating you position.

    So that is where you and I differ on this. I think it is unethical to take what belongs to one person and give it to another. You, on the other hand, consider it ethical.

    So you would think it is ethical for me to come to your home and take your TV and give it to my neighbor?
    But you do it despite your claims of protest. YOu must have few of these high and might ethical qualms when it comes to your own benefit.

    Coming in my house and taking my TV is NOT part of the accepted rules of behavior. So you lose on that one too.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #685
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Down in the holler
    Last Seen
    03-17-15 @ 08:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,212

    Re: Republicans mount shock comeback, erase Democrats’ edge in eyes of Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    There are none so blind as they who will not see.

    You made a free choice to reside in America. You made that choice. Perhaps a child can make the case otherwise but if you are an adult - you made that choice. You confirm that choice each and every day you remain here. You voluntarily entered into the status of a resident and are subject to all the laws and rules of any citizen and you do so willingly. You are free at any time to leave if you object - but you do not and your continued status is voluntary.

    This is NOT ABOUT LOCATION so flush that away with the other nonsense. This is about your free choice that you have exercised and the acceptance of what comes with that free choice.
    I'm not following you. Leave what exactly? My relationship with the another individual? Or my location?

  6. #686
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,776

    Re: Republicans mount shock comeback, erase Democrats’ edge in eyes of Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    I'm not following you. Leave what exactly?
    The nation which you have made a choice to live in. But you do not. You affirm your choice each and every day to live here and accept what comes with it as part of the benefit to you.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #687
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Down in the holler
    Last Seen
    03-17-15 @ 08:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,212

    Re: Republicans mount shock comeback, erase Democrats’ edge in eyes of Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    But you do it despite your claims of protest. YOu must have few of these high and might ethical qualms when it comes to your own benefit.

    Coming in my house and taking my TV is NOT part of the accepted rules of behavior. So you lose on that one too.
    Wait. Now taking what belongs to others is NOT okay? Your rules are very confusing. First you say it's ethical to take what belongs to one person and give it to another, and now you say it's not. I wish you would please make up your mind.

  8. #688
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Down in the holler
    Last Seen
    03-17-15 @ 08:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,212

    Re: Republicans mount shock comeback, erase Democrats’ edge in eyes of Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The nation which you have made a choice to live in. But you do not. You affirm your choice each and every day to live here and accept what comes with it as part of the benefit to you.
    The nation? Do you consider that a place or a relationship into which I voluntarily entered?

  9. #689
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,776

    Re: Republicans mount shock comeback, erase Democrats’ edge in eyes of Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    Wait. Now taking what belongs to others is NOT okay? Your rules are very confusing. First you say it's ethical to take what belongs to one person and give it to another, and now you say it's not. I wish you would please make up your mind.
    According to what you provided for me it has to do with the accepted rules of behavior. Taxation is part of the accepted rules of behavior. Taking my TV set is not.

    That was made very very clear to you in my first reply.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #690
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,776

    Re: Republicans mount shock comeback, erase Democrats’ edge in eyes of Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    The nation? Do you consider that a place or a relationship into which I voluntarily entered?
    The nation is the place you can leave from and end your voluntary association with the United States of America, its people and its duly elected government.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 69 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •