Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

  1. #31
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    The CCPOa is/was an extremely powerful political organization that was able to directly shape policy and legislation through their organizing effort

    Actually the CCPOA was able to extend their influence well into political campaigns, often serving the roll of king maker in state politics. Their lobbying budget was quite extraordinary
    Of course. It's just that i prefer blaming the people instead of media/lobbying. If they are so easily swayed they shouldn't be able to vote on laws like 3 strikes, nor the legislature for that matter.

    But for profit prisons do exist and they only facilitate corruption. They were behind the "show me your papers" laws for Hispanics. But again to be fair, the people were ultimately responsible for that too for reelecting janet brewer.

  2. #32
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Of course. It's just that i prefer blaming the people instead of media/lobbying. If they are so easily swayed they shouldn't be able to vote on laws like 3 strikes, nor the legislature for that matter. But for profit prisons do exist and they only facilitate corruption.
    I'm fully aware of the for profit prison industry, but am unfamiliar with any having the type of influence and control over policy akin to the CCPOA. They were one of the most powerful political forces in california state politics for years, and were able to dictate everything from state oversight of correctional officers, to payment schemes. Any policy that was quasi-related to their interests they were able to control and shape, through a multi-level system of influence peddling

  3. #33
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I'm fully aware of the for profit prison industry, but am unfamiliar with any having the type of influence and control over policy akin to the CCPOA. They were one of the most powerful political forces in california state politics for years, and were able to dictate everything from state oversight of correctional officers, to payment schemes. Any policy that was quasi-related to their interests they were able to control and shape, through a multi-level system of influence peddling
    But i'm sure the wardens don't want to be laid off either. There's a city in this state where a huge proportion of state inmates are sent. Well, you can guess that city does not want to lessen sentencing or remove drug laws, because it will hurt their economy. Rampant selfishness is behind every injustice. Doesn't matter if it's the guards, judges, their clerks, the lawyers themselves. It's all part of the same system and the voters are the unwitting meal ticket.

  4. #34
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    But i'm sure the wardens don't want to be laid off either. There's a city in this state where a huge proportion of state inmates are sent. Well, you can guess that city does not want to lessen sentencing or remove drug laws, because it will hurt their economy. Rampant selfishness is behind every injustice. Doesn't matter if it's the guards, judges, their clerks, the lawyers themselves. It's all part of the same system and the voters are the unwitting meal ticket.
    no one is arguing against that, what I am underlining is the size, organizational force, and means to leverage influence from the CCPOA. Just a few years ago they were unrivaled in Californian politics and despite much effort, still remain one of the most powerful political organizations in the state. I suggest reading up on their history

    http://www.law.stanford.edu/sites/de...sco-wp4_06.pdf

  5. #35
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    no one is arguing against that, what I am underlining is the size, organizational force, and means to leverage influence from the CCPOA. Just a few years ago they were unrivaled in Californian politics and despite much effort, still remain one of the most powerful political organizations in the state. I suggest reading up on their history

    http://www.law.stanford.edu/sites/de...sco-wp4_06.pdf
    Interesting, but i have no objection to breaking them up and drastically decreasing prison guards (and cells). Whatever results in a less insane justice system.

  6. #36
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Interesting, but i have no objection to breaking them up and drastically decreasing prison guards (and cells). Whatever results in a less insane justice system.
    I didn't think you did. I was just underlying the fact that how they were able to influence California state politics was pretty unprecedented

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •