Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

  1. #21
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    The entire CJS is broken, largely because of inept jurors. Anyone of moderate intelligence can get out of jury duty, for one (yes, i managed to get myself kicked off), which the leaves the lowest common denominator. The average settlement after cases like this is in the millions. It's such an ass backwards system. With all the unemployed PhD's out there, find some people capable of problem solving, pay them well and have them serve every court case. Unbelievable that people are still convicted of murder based solely on two clowns' testimony, and all that imbecile juror can do is blame the lawyer for being "hard to follow."
    Look whose running it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #22
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Look whose running it.
    what is your argument here, that the CJS would work if taken under the wing of private enterprise? If so, could you explain that, because I find myself skeptical

  3. #23
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    what is your argument here, that the CJS would work if taken under the wing of private enterprise? If so, could you explain that, because I find myself skeptical
    I think there are lots of stupid legislators with no common sense or insight into how a law will actually work.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #24
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    maybe it's just a streak of populism, but I see the biggest issue as being that justice and innocence seem to be highly dependent on access to cash.
    Definitely a big part of it. In WI having $3000 salary is "able to afford an attorney" so many have to defend themselves in court! Whereas a CEO who brought an end to the financial system has nothing to fear.

  5. #25
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    A big part of the maintenance of those laws and the fight against decriminalization came from the prison guards union in California, who 's history reads like some type of Orwellian nightmare and really speaks to the issues of public sector unions
    And for profit prisons had nothing to do with it? With the ballot system in CA, it could have been gotten rid of much sooner, but the public even in "liberal" states actually believes that 3 strikes is justice.

  6. #26
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    The jurors did nothing wrong. Two eye witnesses including one who admitted to the crime swore with certainty it was him.

    IF it has been positively proven he did not do it, those two witnesses should be prosecuted.

    THE #1 FLAW in the criminal justice system is that there is essentially NO punishment for perjury.


    There should be NO statute of limitations on perjury, it should be VIGOROUS prosecuted, and the penalties should be SEVERELY harsh - and based upon the level of the case perjury is given in. If in a 1st degree felony case? Perjury should be a 2nd degree felony with mandatory LONG prison time. Again, NO statute of limitations as perjury is often discovered years or decades later. There really is no reason for anyone to just not lie in court as DAs will not prosecute their own witnesses.

    There also should be civil liability with no statute of limitations for perjury - where now even outright perjury in court is protected from civil lawsuits. If in court I declare you are a murderer, rapist, and thief, that is protected from any civil lawsuit for slander even if a total lie and proven a total lie. I don't think many people know that.
    Last edited by joko104; 11-14-13 at 03:05 PM.

  7. #27
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Instead of sending them to the big house where society has to pay for them, a one day public event should be held where they receive a lashing for every day the innocent man was incarcerated.
    I oppose torture as a punishment. In this instance, it would mean being tortured to death as 3000+ lashes would kill someone long, long before all were done. I don't think many people really understand how torturous being whipped is.

  8. #28
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction - Yahoo

    This young man spent 10 years of his life in jail and the best they can say is "sorry"? Every ****ing juror should be sent to jail for 10 years over this and see how they like it. I hope he sues the living **** out of the state over this and wins.
    You're kidding, right?? Send the jurors to jail for an incorrect verdict?? Uh, no.

    He'll no doubt be compensated by taxpayers of the state. It won't be enough, but it's the best we can do.

    Mistakes happen. If the jury was "happy" with contradictory evidence, which is what the DNA and footprints really are, then that's the way it is.

    It's not right. I wish we could do better.

    Talk about "a chilling effect." Lordy.

  9. #29
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    The entire CJS is broken, largely because of inept jurors. Anyone of moderate intelligence can get out of jury duty, for one (yes, i managed to get myself kicked off), which the leaves the lowest common denominator. The average settlement after cases like this is in the millions. It's such an ass backwards system. With all the unemployed PhD's out there, find some people capable of problem solving, pay them well and have them serve every court case. Unbelievable that people are still convicted of murder based solely on two clowns' testimony, and all that imbecile juror can do is blame the lawyer for being "hard to follow."
    "the lowest common demoninator" = city and county workers that get paid their full salary to be on jury duty

  10. #30
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Ryan Ferguson Juror 'Sorry' For 2004 Murder Conviction

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    And for profit prisons had nothing to do with it?
    The CCPOa is/was an extremely powerful political organization that was able to directly shape policy and legislation through their organizing effort[/quote]

    With the ballot system in CA, it could have been gotten rid of much sooner, but the public even in "liberal" states actually believes that 3 strikes is justice.
    Actually the CCPOA was able to extend their influence well into political campaigns, often serving the roll of king maker in state politics. Their lobbying budget was quite extraordinary

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •