Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 147

Thread: US to surpass Saudi as top oil producer by 2016: IEA

  1. #101
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: US to surpass Saudi as top oil producer by 2016: IEA

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I haven't altered it, I explained it. The difference is that while tone/inflection may not come through on a forum, it doesn't change the original meaning. The entire point, as I said in a later post, is despite what has been alleged, Obama clearly hasn't killed the oil business and the price of gas is far too complex of an issue to simply point at the President and say, "He's to credit/blame".
    From my perspective, that is foolish. I don't mean that to be an insult, but I just think it's foolish. For that to come to pass, you have to assume two things, neither of which are likely true. The first is that you know more about the economy and how it works than entire groups of economists who are some of the best in the field. The second thing you have to assume is that there is only one right way to do things, which is almost always incorrect, especially for something as large as "the economy".
    I'm not pretending anything. I'm simply noting how the foolish the Republicans sound right now.

    There's a difference between noting how evidence proves a foolish statement incorrect and assigning credit.
    Why do so many people not understand the difference between blame and credit?
    I always love how people mention Solyndra, when it's been well proven that most of the money that went to green energy companies was money well spent (not to mention Solyndra was chosen and supported by Bush before Obama took office). Have you ever stopped to consider why you ONLY use Solyndra? Why there's only ONE company you mention? It's because of the many green energy companies who received money, most of them made good use of the money.

    But that aside, everything you said here (even if it was true, which it is not) doesn't change the fact that Obama clearly has not killed the oil industry.


    It has nothing to do with me being smarter than you, and everything to do with you apparently not reading. Just because you chose not to read my post, don't push your faults onto me.
    I do no such thing, but considering how incredibly blind you are to anything aside from partisan attacks, it doesn't surprise me you'd post this. It never ceases to amaze me how many times I prove you wrong and you simply try to change the subject or ignore the fact you are wrong. It's happened many times.


    Think about what you just posted. Then maybe you'll come to realize why I'm laughing at you.
    So, you can't cite a single Obama policy that encouraged an increase in domestic oil production?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: US to surpass Saudi as top oil producer by 2016: IEA

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Good morning MMC - at least until the economies of Europe, China, and India start to improve.
    Do you think the Saudis can tap out? Once that takes place.....then what? I think it would be fitting that they then will have to import that which they no longer have. Pay for it.....like they made others pay for it.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: US to surpass Saudi as top oil producer by 2016: IEA

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    "The complete list of faltering or bankrupt green-energy companies:
    Evergreen Solar ($25 million)*
    SpectraWatt ($500,000)*
    Solyndra ($535 million)*
    Beacon Power ($43 million)*
    Nevada Geothermal ($98.5 million)
    SunPower ($1.2 billion)
    First Solar ($1.46 billion)
    Babcock and Brown ($178 million)
    EnerDel’s subsidiary Ener1 ($118.5 million)*
    Amonix ($5.9 million)
    Fisker Automotive ($529 million)
    Abound Solar ($400 million)*
    A123 Systems ($279 million)*
    Willard and Kelsey Solar Group ($700,981)*
    Johnson Controls ($299 million)
    Brightsource ($1.6 billion)
    ECOtality ($126.2 million)
    Raser Technologies ($33 million)*
    Energy Conversion Devices ($13.3 million)*
    Mountain Plaza, Inc. ($2 million)*
    Olsen’s Crop Service and Olsen’s Mills Acquisition Company ($10 million)*
    Range Fuels ($80 million)*
    Thompson River Power ($6.5 million)*
    Stirling Energy Systems ($7 million)*
    Azure Dynamics ($5.4 million)*
    GreenVolts ($500,000)
    Vestas ($50 million)
    LG Chem’s subsidiary Compact Power ($151 million)
    Nordic Windpower ($16 million)*
    Navistar ($39 million)
    Satcon ($3 million)*
    Konarka Technologies Inc. ($20 million)*
    Mascoma Corp. ($100 million)
    *Denotes companies that have filed for bankruptcy.
    The problem begins with the issue of government picking winners and losers in the first place. Venture capitalist firms exist for this very reason, and they choose what to invest in by looking at companies’ business models and deciding if they are worthy. When the government plays venture capitalist, it tends to reward companies that are connected to the policymakers themselves or because it sounds nice to “invest” in green energy.
    The 2009 stimulus set aside $80 billion to subsidize politically preferred energy projects. Since that time, 1,900 investigations have been opened to look into stimulus waste, fraud, and abuse (although not all are linked to the green-energy funds), and nearly 600 convictions have been made. Of that $80 billion in clean energy loans, grants, and tax credits, at least 10 percent has gone to companies that have since either gone bankrupt or are circling the drain."

    President Obama's Taxpayer-Backed Green Energy Failures

    This was as of last year....So you're right, it's not just Solyndra, it's a lot more.....And the list of Obama cronies that got these grants, and then went belly up, reads like a donor list of campaign '08 insiders....Can you say corruption? But that doesn't matter to you right? As long as there is someone doing it that you can ideologically agree with.
    It's like people don't realize others fact check statements...

    Romney falsely claimed “about half” of the clean-energy companies that received U.S.-backed loans “have gone out of business.” But 26 companies received loan guarantees under a loan program cited by Romney, and three of those have filed for bankruptcy. The three firms were approved for about 6 percent of the loan guarantees.

    We were surprised by the claim that “about half” of the companies went out of business. As we have written before, an independent review of the Department of Energy loan and loan guarantee programs found that the failure rate was lower than Congress had expected.


    When we asked the Romney campaign for information on this claim, we were told that it refers only to companies that received so-called section 1705 loans — a program created by the stimulus. A second program — the so-called section 1703 loan program — was created under the Bush administration, but loans were approved by the current administration. Also, Romney counted only section 1705 loan guarantees approved in the Obama administration’s first two years — ignoring the past two years.

    By limiting his scope to just the first two years of the program, Romney arrives at seven companies and three of them — including Solyndra — have filed for bankruptcy protection. The others were Beacon Power, which received a loan guarantee of $43 million, and Abound Solar, which was approved for a $400 million loan but borrowed only $70 million against that. So, combined the three companies were approved for a total of $978 million in U.S.-backed loans and borrowed $648 million of that.


    But there were a total of 26 companies that received approval for $16 billion in loan guarantees under the section 1705 program. So, 11.5 percent of the companies — not half — have filed for bankruptcy. And those companies were approved for a little more than 6 percent of the $16 billion in total loan guarantees.
    Romney’s Clean Energy Whoppers


    Oh, and just looking at your list, the very first company you mentioned, Evergreen Solar, did not receive federal stimulus funds. You really should be more discriminating when choosing sources, and not choosing ones which lie to you.

    No, he hasn't, but that is not for lack of trying


    I love the rationale of the anti-Obama crowd. When something bad happens, it's because Obama wields an enormous amount of power in turning this country into a failed socialist nation of Muslims. When something good happens, it happens completely despite Obama's attempt to turn this country into a failed socialist nation of Muslims.

    The lack of objectivity just makes your opinion completely worthless to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    LOL. Partisan attacks uh?
    Yes, it's all you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, you can't cite a single Obama policy that encouraged an increase in domestic oil production?
    I probably could, but I don't have to. My point was never that Obama spurred oil production, only to point out the ridiculous statement made by Republicans that he's trying to kill it.

    Once more, you don't seem to understand the difference between disproving blame and assigning credit.

  4. #104
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: US to surpass Saudi as top oil producer by 2016: IEA

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    It's like people don't realize others fact check statements...



    Romney’s Clean Energy Whoppers


    Oh, and just looking at your list, the very first company you mentioned, Evergreen Solar, did not receive federal stimulus funds. You really should be more discriminating when choosing sources, and not choosing ones which lie to you.



    I love the rationale of the anti-Obama crowd. When something bad happens, it's because Obama wields an enormous amount of power in turning this country into a failed socialist nation of Muslims. When something good happens, it happens completely despite Obama's attempt to turn this country into a failed socialist nation of Muslims.

    The lack of objectivity just makes your opinion completely worthless to me.
    Yes, it's all you do.
    I probably could, but I don't have to. My point was never that Obama spurred oil production, only to point out the ridiculous statement made by Republicans that he's trying to kill it.

    Once more, you don't seem to understand the difference between disproving blame and assigning credit.
    No, you can't. Just admit that Obama doesn't get any credit for the oil boom, much less 100% of the credit that you are assigning to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #105
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: US to surpass Saudi as top oil producer by 2016: IEA

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    It's like people don't realize others fact check statements...



    Romney’s Clean Energy Whoppers


    Oh, and just looking at your list, the very first company you mentioned, Evergreen Solar, did not receive federal stimulus funds. You really should be more discriminating when choosing sources, and not choosing ones which lie to you.
    Well, you are certainly showing that you will go to major lengths to defend your leader...Tell me, with some $80 billion of tax payer money given to Obama supporters for slapping up any green energy sounding business they could as fast as they could, how many have made a dent in our country's use of traditional energy sources?

    I love the rationale of the anti-Obama crowd. When something bad happens, it's because Obama wields an enormous amount of power in turning this country into a failed socialist nation of Muslims. When something good happens, it happens completely despite Obama's attempt to turn this country into a failed socialist nation of Muslims.
    That's your strawman....Show me where I said anything like this...if not I expect you'd apologize for mischaracterizing my words.

    The lack of objectivity just makes your opinion completely worthless to me.
    Yeah? who are you? Other than some aging liberal, angrily attacking people that don't agree with your POV.....That's just sad dude.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #106
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: US to surpass Saudi as top oil producer by 2016: IEA

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, you can't. Just admit that Obama doesn't get any credit for the oil boom, much less 100% of the credit that you are assigning to him.
    You obviously have not read a single thing I've said to you. You are so wrapped up in your anti-Obama rants, you do not pay any attention to what I'm saying. I've explained it to you at least two separate times. I'm tired of trying to hold your hand to make you understand. Do both of us a favor and actually read what I said and you'll realize why your last post to me was worthless.

  7. #107
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: US to surpass Saudi as top oil producer by 2016: IEA

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    You obviously have not read a single thing I've said to you. You are so wrapped up in your anti-Obama rants, you do not pay any attention to what I'm saying. I've explained it to you at least two separate times. I'm tired of trying to hold your hand to make you understand. Do both of us a favor and actually read what I said and you'll realize why your last post to me was worthless.
    And, you're so wrapped up in worshipping Dear Leader that you will say anything to cover for him, no matter how big the lie is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #108
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,205

    Re: US to surpass Saudi as top oil producer by 2016: IEA

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Do you think the Saudis can tap out? Once that takes place.....then what? I think it would be fitting that they then will have to import that which they no longer have. Pay for it.....like they made others pay for it.
    I believe they've been diversifying their economy for some time - but tourism, gambling, and other "high end" pursuits aren't going to make for a booming economy. They have a highly educated population, so I'm sure tech and software industries interest them. As for tapping out, I doubt that will happen anytime soon and perhaps they're smart enough to retain what they need if/when reserves reach a certain point.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: US to surpass Saudi as top oil producer by 2016: IEA

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, you are certainly showing that you will go to major lengths to defend your leader
    You consider posting of facts to be major lengths? I would argue desperately seeking out lies would be major lengths, not simply posting well-known and reported facts.

    ...Tell me, with some $80 billion of tax payer money given to Obama supporters for slapping up any green energy sounding business they could as fast as they could, how many have made a dent in our country's use of traditional energy sources?
    From 2008 to 2012, wind energy almost doubled. Solar energy increased four times what it was in 2008 by 2012. I do not consider those things failures.

    EIA - Electricity Data

    That's your strawman....Show me where I said anything like this
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    No, he hasn't, but that is not for lack of trying
    Yeah? who are you?
    I'm the person you chose to enter a debate with. Obviously my opinion means something to you.

    Other than some aging liberal
    If I'm an "aging" liberal, then I have to wonder what you're doing on a debate forum during a school day.

    angrily attacking people that don't agree with your POV.....That's just sad dude.
    Says the person who attacked me because you didn't agree with my POV.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, you're so wrapped up in worshipping Dear Leader that you will say anything to cover for him, no matter how big the lie is.
    How am I covering for him? What lie has been told? Do you even understand what you're saying at this point? Like I said, go back and read what I ACTUALLY said, and then realize why you're wasting the time of both of us with your posts.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: US to surpass Saudi as top oil producer by 2016: IEA

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I believe they've been diversifying their economy for some time - but tourism, gambling, and other "high end" pursuits aren't going to make for a booming economy. They have a highly educated population, so I'm sure tech and software industries interest them. As for tapping out, I doubt that will happen anytime soon and perhaps they're smart enough to retain what they need if/when reserves reach a certain point.
    I think they have been losing on the tourism and gambling for the last few years. Which we know they would have more than a few interests. Course then their standing and perception to the rest of the world will have changed in what they wont be able to influence any longer.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •