Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 224

Thread: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: [W:212]

  1. #81
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Is it possible that the officers are making an effort to find more kids with weed and not that the number of users has grown? Seems like a strong possibility. Violent crime rates in America have gone down to historically low levels yet there are more people than ever in jail. Is this because more people are committing crimes or because more criminals have been legislated into existence?
    Only problem with this is that this was a de-regulation. Why would a cop specifically set out to find more when it has become legal?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #82
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Have you read the thread?

    Because no one has suggested that it is legal to have it on school property
    Right. Most of the pot heads suggest it doesn't matter if it's on school property.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  3. #83
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So you'll just ignore all of the massive decreases in the other areas like violence and robberies and hone in one thing as if it were the only thing that mattered?
    So you are trying to correlate increased marijuana use in teens with lower crime rate now? I'd bet the lower crime rate has something to do with the increased suspensions and expulsions. Send the douchebags home and they aren't robbing kids in school anymore.

    In case you missed it, there is more then a casual correlation between substance abuse and criminal behavior...


    Fact is, your OP is bunk, less people are being expelled and there is less overall bad behavior.
    More people are being expelled for drug reasons. What does it matter is all other reasons are on the decline? If anything I find that fact accentuates the problem of increased drug use in school.

    We all agree kids shouldn't use drugs, but you're trying to operate on the assumption that they won't if it's illegal
    Straw man argument. I never said kids won't do drugs in they are illegal. In fact I said the exact opposite on this very thread. What I DID say was that marijuana use among children has and will increase as a result of marijuana legalization. If you really agree that kids shouldn't do drugs then you shouldn't be supporting a law that clearly increases drug use among children... but you are anyway... so I have to doubt your actual commitment to that stance in principle because in practice you support policy that directly contributes to higher drug use among children.

    which frankly shows that you don't have a grasp on reality. (And were also probably a nerd in high school)
    I have quite a keen grasp of reality. I credit most of it to all those years I spent in school not doing drugs.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #84
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    sheets of blotter acid (LSD) back in my time, same thing though.

    Can't petend this stuff doesn't exist. Better to bring it out in the open. "Hey kids -don't smoke cigarettes, or for that matter weed"
    They need to be educated, instead of just saying "don't do this stuff, it's bad, and we'll put you in jail". They're telling this stuff to kids who are still in the learning phases of life. Tell them why it's bad, and why they shouldn't do it.

    Personally, I don't think pot is that big a deal. No worse than slipping into the liquor cabinet. Pills are the big drugs these days, and the most dangerous for kids who know jack **** about the dangers of tossing some pharmaceuticals down their throats.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #85
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Have you read the thread?

    Because no one has suggested that it is legal to have it on school property
    Then you need to explain your post better because the context of the thread up to that post shows no reason for your post. It's what happens when you throw out one liners without expanding on it.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #86
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Also I should point out that since you are someone who started smoking marijuana in school, you were likely in a position to hang around with the other drug users in school. I think your point of reference is skewed. Somehow I went all the way through highschool in the 80s without exposure to the dropout culture.
    Well give yourself a cookie, then. If a cop is so shocked by something that has been going on for decades, he isn't doing his job.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,568

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    ...What struck Krueger and the officer about this incident was the fact that the student didn't seem to realize that there was anything wrong with having the pot or that there would be any disciplinary consequence for it. The officer said the student acted like having marijuana was an ordinary thing and no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    This made me laugh.
    This is a good thing. There was a time when such a situation could ruin your life.
    Oh, what proud parents that kid must have (if they are ever lucid enough to notice). And to think, my kids will never think of drugs as a ho hum everday thing you have in your pocket. Where have I gone wrong???
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  8. #88
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    They need to be educated, instead of just saying "don't do this stuff, it's bad, and we'll put you in jail". They're telling this stuff to kids who are still in the learning phases of life. Tell them why it's bad, and why they shouldn't do it.

    Personally, I don't think pot is that big a deal. No worse than slipping into the liquor cabinet. Pills are the big drugs these days, and the most dangerous for kids who know jack **** about the dangers of tossing some pharmaceuticals down their throats.
    we don't talk honestly about drugs in this country. Too many special interests, from Big Pharma to Law Enforcement.

    Some things you just have to understand by experience, and digging out the thruth, or the different sides to a debate.
    for Kids, we just tell them, they don't have enough real world experience to know the spin on things.

    I agree some honesty would go a long way, I remember thinking "well they lied to me about grass, they're lying to me about ALL drugs"
    Later on as my friends died from overdoses, i found out all drugs aren't the same.

    Would help to just educate, and not lie to kids. "this is your brain on drugs" kinna ridiculous ads.
    Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ

  9. #89
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Then you need to explain your post better because the context of the thread up to that post shows no reason for your post. It's what happens when you throw out one liners without expanding on it.
    I don't know what it is you think I need to explain.

    IMO, expelling kids for possession of pot is a problem. That doesn't mean that pot should be allowed on school grounds. It just means kids should not be expelled for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #90
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,568

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Things that went up:
    Drugs: +27%
    Detrimental behavior: +28%


    Things that went down:
    Alcohol: -26%
    Tobacco: -34%
    Dangerous weapons: -34%
    Robbery: -78%
    Felonies: -25%
    Disobedience: -6%
    Distruction of school property: -38%
    Other code of conduct violations: -36%

    Total negative behavior: -17%

    If you also look, drug offenses only make up about 5% of the total offenses. Considering tobacco and alcohol are far worse for your health than pot, and so is robbery, dangerous weapons and felonies, I'd say the kids of colorado have made a massive net positive over the past 10 years. That's not even taking into account the fact that drug use is on the rise everywhere, not just Colorado.

    Looks like your hysteria is bunk.
    You seem to be saying that the bad things that went down were due to the other bad things that went up. Is that about right? And the proof of that is where? Or you forgot that part? So we should be trying to increase drug use now? Sorry, I am just missing the brilliance here.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •