Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 224

Thread: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: [W:212]

  1. #141
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    That is the theory behind illegal narcotics, yes. But if your next argument is "Well then why not ban alcohol!?" then, as I pointed out a while ago, you are really just making an argument for banning alcohol, not legalizing marijuana.
    No, I'm asking you whether we should ban things because studies say they're harmful?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #142
    Educator

    WillyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,180

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    The study review showed marijuana was a significant contributor.
    Nope, it showed a statistical correlation. The quotes were from a doctor that co-authored the thing. He said himself there is no clear causal connection. You are operating on wishful thinking.


    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator
    You don't need to fully understand the mechanism in order to know that marijuana is bad for brain development.
    Maybe if you want to convince a child. I won't pretend to understand the mechanism either. That's doesn't mean I'll take your word for it. If it's so clear, find a doctor saying there is a direct causal connection between psychosis and marijuana use. A statistical correlation isn't going to get it done.


    So given that this combination of nature and nurture affects about 25% of kids can you tell me how we avoid having that population fall into drug abuse while we make the drugs more available to them?
    Why should you bother pretending you can control people's behaviors?

    We blow far to many resources on this moral crusade. It's never been winnable or even worth fighting.

    How many billions should we sink in this hole, and how many people do we have put in prison so that Drug Warriors can declare victory?

    How much money should we fork over to drug cartels, rather than pumping through our own economy?

  3. #143
    Guru
    sbrettt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Prospect park, PA
    Last Seen
    08-09-15 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,724

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Medical Marijuana laws passed in 2009/2010 in Colorado led to a a jump in drug expulsions rates from 534 the prior year to 753 the following year, and hasn't dropped to pre-law rates yet. Overall drug violations jumped as well, and the decrease since 2010 is because of the high rate of expulsions.
    snip*
    This is the stat I was asking you to verify.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Expulsion of teens for marijuana is up 25% in Colorado since they began legalizing pot, 29% in total.
    Your link above doesn't have any stats on expulsions due specifically to marijuana. In fact, it also doesn't narrow it down to expulsions, like you did. It refers to incidents involving either, illegal narcotics, alcohol, or tobacco that resulted in disciplinary action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Should I be free to buy anthrax and a rocket launcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Is there a reason you shouldnt be free to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    Obamacare wants to put a chip inside people. There is a video of it on youtube.

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No, I'm asking you whether we should ban things because studies say they're harmful?
    I know your blunt question was not directed at me but I would like to respond: NO NO NO NO and NO..

  5. #145
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I know your blunt question was not directed at me but I would like to respond: NO NO NO NO and NO..
    That's what the OP is suggesting.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's what the OP is suggesting.
    IDK nor do I care......

    I'm not a member of a cult.....

  7. #147
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    IDK nor do I care......

    I'm not a member of a cult.....
    Your political lean says "Libertarian". I beg to differ.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #148
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Conservatives... predominantly Republicans, are nothing but authoritarians. They are THE authoritarians. This is why I respect real Libertarians becuase they are actually the conservatives that are not authoritarians.
    Keep going, this is some crazy ****.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #149
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,784

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Keep going, this is some crazy ****.
    What's crazy is how much the GOP talks about small government while at the same time how bad the GOP want's in me and my wife's pants at the same time. Your folk want to implement policies that play morality police. That is about as big a government intrusion as big government can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #150
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

    [QUOTE=WillyPete;1062541797]Nope, it showed a statistical correlation. The quotes were from a doctor that co-authored the thing. He said himself there is no clear causal connection. You are operating on wishful thinking.[/wide]

    Hah, that isn't what it said at all! His whole point is that Marijuana has an adverse affect on developing brains! How on earth did you glean that falsehood from such clarity?


    Maybe if you want to convince a child. I won't pretend to understand the mechanism either. That's doesn't mean I'll take your word for it. If it's so clear, find a doctor saying there is a direct causal connection between psychosis and marijuana use. A statistical correlation isn't going to get it done.
    I already did, but you have misread his warnings

    Why should you bother pretending you can control people's behaviors?
    Yeah, there isn't centuries of study on behavioral modification. In fact, the pothead lobby argues that legalization will reduce pot consumption, so your side seems to believe in behavior modification as well. It's just that the pothead argument is stupid, nonsensical and wrong.

    We blow far to many resources on this moral crusade. It's never been winnable or even worth fighting.
    Given the increase in teen marijuana use after legalization I would say your argument is false even at the most basic level. If legalization increases drug use (which it is in Colorado) then the efforts to reduce drug use were working. Your problem is that you like to argue black and white straw men where you assume that the anti-marijuana side assumes there will be some point where nobody uses marijuana. Nobody actually argues this. But I would bet there are lots of things in your life you still do even knowing that you won't be 100% successful, and you do them because you feel they need doing.


    How many billions should we sink in this hole, and how many people do we have put in prison so that Drug Warriors can declare victory?

    Again, there is no black and white in drug abuse prevention. Is it your assumption that if drugs were legalized that all the people selling illegal drugs will find gainful employment and turn to a virtuous life? Or do you suppose the kind of people that break the law to make money would find some other illegal way to make money and get arrested for doing it?


    How much money should we fork over to drug cartels, rather than pumping through our own economy?

    Again, do you think the cartels will just go away? Is it your assumption that we would be legalizing all drugs with no controls? It's already illegal for kids to have drugs, and yet they still have them. You don't think the cartels would still target that market?

    In general I don't find your set of assumptions of the outcome of any legalization effort to be particularly well thought out.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •