Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Venezuela to toughen price controls, set profits

  1. #1
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Venezuela to toughen price controls, set profits

    CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro is extending price controls and will place limits on profits as he extends attempts to curb the galloping inflation that is eroding support for his rule.

    Maduro made the announcement in a late-night television address Sunday in which he also vowed to step up inspections of businesses selling shoes, clothing, automobiles and other goods to make sure they aren't gouging consumers.


    "We can't just close the businesses; the owners have to go to jail," Maduro said in an impassioned speech in which he cited Jewish, Muslim and Christian texts to harangue businessmen he accuses of usury. "We can't allow our hard currency to be used to rob people through the sale of these goods."
    Huge crowds of government loyalists and opponents formed outside appliance stores over the weekend after Maduro ordered the military to occupy the Daka chain of electronic stores and slash by more than half prices for washing machines, televisions and other white goods.


    While soldiers with assault rifles were deployed to keep bargain hunters in check, at least one Daka store, in the country's third largest city of Valencia, was looted by unruly crowds, according to photos and videos posted online.


    Maduro Sunday night urged Venezuelans to remain calm, saying that he won't allow the "parasitic bourgeoisie" to overcharge consumers ever again.


    Read more: Venezuela to toughen price controls, set profits - New York News
    A simple question for our family here at DP....

    With progressive liberals often taking this kind of hyperbolic line against Corporations, and business in general, are we to see this type of open attack against business? I think that some in America believe in this sort of thing, and would love to see this....

    Your thoughts?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,336

    Re: Venezuela to toughen price controls, set profits

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    A simple question for our family here at DP....

    With progressive liberals often taking this kind of hyperbolic line against Corporations, and business in general, are we to see this type of open attack against business? I think that some in America believe in this sort of thing, and would love to see this....

    Your thoughts?
    A regime is approaching its end, when it needs to resort to price controls. That means that its business model does not work. Problem is that it can still take quite some time to fall. That means the period of pain to the population can be extended.

  3. #3
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Venezuela to toughen price controls, set profits

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    A regime is approaching its end, when it needs to resort to price controls. That means that its business model does not work. Problem is that it can still take quite some time to fall. That means the period of pain to the population can be extended.
    Oh yeah, no doubt...How do you think the anti corporatism folks in here think about this...I mean there is a strong support for this type of thing right here in America...Everything from anti Walmart, oil companies, banks, to health insurance....This is what some of our progressive posting family right here think is the solution.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #4
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Venezuela to toughen price controls, set profits

    How's gas at $.2/gallon, $.05/liter workin' out? That doesn't even cover basic environmental costs, let alone labor and infrastructure. Free gas for votes.

  5. #5
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,299

    Re: Venezuela to toughen price controls, set profits

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    A simple question for our family here at DP....

    With progressive liberals often taking this kind of hyperbolic line against Corporations, and business in general, are we to see this type of open attack against business? I think that some in America believe in this sort of thing, and would love to see this....

    Your thoughts?
    When I was in Vietnam in the 1960s, the rice merchants had cornered the market on rice and the price of this staple food was going out of sight in Saigon and perhaps all of South Vietnam, but I can only speak for Saigon. Nguyen Cao Ky warned the rice merchants to relent on the price or he would execute them. They did not relent and he executed four of them on poles in downtown Saigon. The price of rice dropped precipitously the same day. No more problem. Sometimes extreme action is the only thing that works.

  6. #6
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Venezuela to toughen price controls, set profits

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    When I was in Vietnam in the 1960s, the rice merchants had cornered the market on rice and the price of this staple food was going out of sight in Saigon and perhaps all of South Vietnam, but I can only speak for Saigon. Nguyen Cao Ky warned the rice merchants to relent on the price or he would execute them. They did not relent and he executed four of them on poles in downtown Saigon. The price of rice dropped precipitously the same day. No more problem. Sometimes extreme action is the only thing that works.
    Allu Ackbar!

  7. #7
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Venezuela to toughen price controls, set profits

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    When I was in Vietnam in the 1960s, the rice merchants had cornered the market on rice and the price of this staple food was going out of sight in Saigon and perhaps all of South Vietnam, but I can only speak for Saigon. Nguyen Cao Ky warned the rice merchants to relent on the price or he would execute them. They did not relent and he executed four of them on poles in downtown Saigon. The price of rice dropped precipitously the same day. No more problem. Sometimes extreme action is the only thing that works.
    And what corporate CEO's heads would you like to see on pikes?

    Seriously though....You really think that government control over business is the answer?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #8
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Venezuela to toughen price controls, set profits

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    How's gas at $.2/gallon, $.05/liter workin' out? That doesn't even cover basic environmental costs, let alone labor and infrastructure. Free gas for votes.
    How are our own progressive liberals any different...They rail against business, they buy votes through social welfare programs, and now want to take over 1/6th of the economy in Health insurance industry, how are we different?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #9
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,299

    Re: Venezuela to toughen price controls, set profits

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And what corporate CEO's heads would you like to see on pikes?

    Seriously though....You really think that government control over business is the answer?
    Sometimes. That's why I posted the information. That worked and at the time was probably the best solution. Authority was exerted and problem resolved. Circumstances vary. Think about how you are going to address Global Warming for your children's and grandchildren's sake. Paradoxical, don't you think?

  10. #10
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Venezuela to toughen price controls, set profits

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Sometimes. That's why I posted the information. That worked and at the time was probably the best solution. Authority was exerted and problem resolved. Circumstances vary. Think about how you are going to address Global Warming for your children's and grandchildren's sake. Paradoxical, don't you think?
    How am I going to address Global Warming? I would think I first have to be assured that it is not some huge scam before I do anything.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •