Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 685

Thread: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

  1. #61
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    1. Dumbed down standards so that it will appear as though we're progressing as a country.
    False - as per Republicans:

    A rural Georgia GOP leader on Common Core: Republicans should... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com

    On the face of it, Republicans should love the Common Core State Standards. Eisenhower called for higher education standards in response to Sputnik. Reagan decried that U.S. standards were too low. Conservatives have railed against lax standards, zero accountability and bloated education budgets for decades. We want measurable results, bottom-line solutions, and we donít want them come from Washington.
    The goal? To create graduates with the necessary skills to be employable by businesses or go to college. Funded by big business, with 10,000 different inputs by ordinary parents and teachers, developed by teachers, benchmarked against competitive foreign countries, the group created a yardstick that could measure every student across the nation.
    2. Instead of kids coloring cute owls with owl stories for a fall bulletin board, they're coloring bar graphs showing their progress on academic tests. Instead of engaging, encouraging, happy bulletin boards -- we have to list objectives and Common Core standards in our rooms. Why? Not because it helps the kids - because some bureaucrat who has never taught before thinks it's a good idea.
    Common Core does that. Developed by teachers, created by the states, it provides the kind of education that big business and colleges are demanding.
    This was developed by teachers and their state. No federal input.

    3. Zero creative writing - ZERO.
    4. A massive reduction in fiction --- fantasy, mystery, fairy tales, ---- the kinds of books that reel in 80% (my estimate) of kids to becoming lifelong lovers of reading.
    Actually, that's not even remotely true - again as per a Republican:

    A rural Georgia GOP leader on Common Core: Republicans should... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com

    ďBut the curriculum tells teacher what to teach!Ē Actually, Common Core isnít even a curriculum. It is a set of standards that each child needs to know. One teacher put it this way, "It's not about how to teach; it's about where students need to be by the time that teaching is done."
    5. Huge data collections on every student.

    6. Much less time to teach and much more time documenting, assessing, evaluating and filling out paperwork.
    Good. Kids should be heavily documented in order to give them better options once they reach higher learning. Also, so teachers are supported by evidence when they fail kids because of the work they do/don't do. There are far too many cases of personal bias being used by teachers these days. Don't like kid X? ****ty grade. I'm all in favor of teachers having to support their qualifications with evidence. Why aren't you?

    I could go on, but I'm trying to eat lunch.
    Enjoy.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-07-13 at 01:53 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #62
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    False - as per Republicans:

    A rural Georgia GOP leader on Common Core: Republicans should... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com









    This was developed by teachers and their state. No federal input.





    Actually, that's not even remotely true - again as per a Republican:

    A rural Georgia GOP leader on Common Core: Republicans should... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com





    Good. Kids should be heavily documented in order to give them better options once they reach higher learning. Also, so teachers are supported by evidence when they fail kids because of the work they do/don't do. There are far too many cases of personal bias being used by teachers these days. Don't like kid X? ****ty grade. I'm all in favor of teachers having to support their qualifications with evidence. Why aren't you?



    Enjoy.
    I will help Josie out by giving you her answer to you: you are wrong! Glenn says it is a communist takeover! The whole story on Common Core – Glenn Beck

    And now we know why she is spreading so much inaccurate information about Common Core.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #63
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Look at all of you liberals and progressives vehemently defending this "conservative" idea.


  4. #64
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Look at all of you liberals and progressives vehemently defending this "conservative" idea.
    Is the Georgia GOP leader a liberal or a progressive?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #65
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Look at all of you liberals and progressives vehemently defending this "conservative" idea.
    Actually, I'm not claiming it's a conservative idea. I'm claiming it's a bipartisan program where everyone gets what they want:

    Liberals - Required learning.
    Conservatives - Higher standards.
    Libertarians - State controlled, teacher created.

    If your best reply to that is "nee-naa-nee-naa stupid liberals!" I can see why you don't like it. ALL your points about why the program is bad are either misinformed or completely false. What exactly is it you teach? You don't seem to be too up and up on what Common Core is even though you're a teacher.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #66
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I will help Josie out by giving you her answer to you: you are wrong! Glenn says it is a communist takeover! The whole story on Common Core – Glenn Beck

    And now we know why she is spreading so much inaccurate information about Common Core.
    It's like she basically copy pasted all his talking points:

    No fiction reading/cute owls

    GLENN: Common Core also shifts away from classic literature and allows for the reading of informational texts. Now, what is informational texts? And by the way, it shifts as the years progress. When you’re in ‑‑ when you’re in first grade, you read fewer and fewer informational texts and you read more of the classic literature that is approved.
    Data gathering and paperwork:

    The defense of Common Core doesn’t even mention all of the data mining that will take place from Microsoft, the biowristbands they want to use on our kids, the FCAT scans that are in the Department of Education’s own paperwork.
    Told to by bureaucrats:

    GLENN: Seeing and hearing this kind of ridiculous nonsense, I can’t help but wonder if this was written by maybe a fifth grader that, you know, will be tested soon. The fact that 90% of the states took the money and the program, that’s your clearest evidence that states can still set their own standards?
    ... I swear... You'd think with all the parroting some people do of Glenn Beck's show, they'd at least be smart enough to not plagiarize the living **** out of his shows. This is why we need better teachers.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #67
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Look at all of you liberals and progressives vehemently defending this "conservative" idea.
    I dunno about you, but I consider ideas based on their merits, not on who proposes them...or what Glenn Beck tells me to think about them...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #68
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    so 'dumbed down' the board of education is warning the public to expect lower scores on last year's standardized tests, because of the introduction of the more strident standards
    if they were easier, 'dumbed down' standards, i believe the scores would instead have elevated
    The tests will also be computer-based which is new for almost all (if not all) of the states which is another factor in why scores will be lower. Every single student has to have access to a computer in order to take this test. That's impossible for low-income districts who barely have one computer per classroom.


    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    yes, coloring an owl instead of a graph is going to so 'dumb down' our kids [/sarcasm]
    It's unsurprising that you missed the point. Everything is data, data, data, data, numbers, numbers, numbers, scores, scores, scores, graphs, graphs, graphs. Who cares about imagination, creativity and just letting 6 year olds be KIDS, for God's sake. Kids should be making Pilgrim hats and writing a story about the Mayflower, not worrying about how many data points their reading fluency scores moved in the past week.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    let's first teach them to read and write. once they can do that, let's go onto something creative
    You say that as if those things are mutually exclusive....

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    let's instead expose them to MORE non-fiction - you know, factual information. the stuff which makes possible STEM careers and will assist them into adulthood
    I'm all about non-fiction. For some kids, that's what they want to read. That's what makes them excited. That's what will keep a book in their hands. But for most kids, the love, the excitement, the joy of reading is found in magical lands through wardrobes. To de-emphasize the importance of reading fiction is a detriment to our students.


    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i agree with this. if we have no idea how johnny is performing then we will continue to socially graduate kids who cannot read, write, or perform basic math
    the problem i have with this data is that we will not be using it to ability group the teaching of our kids. we hold down the smart ones in the hope that their presence in the class room will enhance the knowledge of the dumb ones. it doesn't work that way. now that we can distinguish the fast learners from the slow learners, let's put them in ability grouped classes
    I whole-heartedly agree that kids need to be grouped by ability. I also agree that SOME kids needs to be looked at closely, tracking their progress, collecting information in order to help them. I do NOT agree that we need to do that for ALL kids. Nor do I agree that we need to track social relationship data or emotional data on all children.


    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    the technology is there. seven years ago my son developed software which would allow a teacher to use her smart phone (then there was no iphone, it was itouch) to grade papers. to place that data in each student's efolder, and to identify which questions were missed by the student so the teacher could provide individual help to each student on the material they had not mastered. it would also graph which questions were most missed by the class to allow the teacher to see if the material needed to be presented before the class in a different manner. while he could not get the school system to return a phone call, regarding his desire to give them the software he developed, the teach for America teachers who participated in the evaluations refused to give their devices back. they had become that used to the benefits of the system he had developed. the point is, there IS technology out there to substantially eliminate these time consuming tasks from the teacher's day. there just needs to be a will to identify and apply the available technologies
    Tell that to the thousands of low income districts who have 32 kids in a 2nd grade class and zero money for any technology training, let alone the technology itself.


  9. #69
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I believe they have tweaked the CCSS along the way. When we were first looking at them in our district, the website specifically said there was no creative writing in Common Core. It said something to the effect of "We don't hold creative writing as a standard in CCSS, but teachers may choose to include it in the curriculum if they want."


    Untrue

    Common Core State Standards Initiative | English Language Arts Standards | Anchor Standards | College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards for Reading[/quote]

    I didn't say there wasn't going to by ANY fiction in CCSS. Everyone who has a basic understanding of CCSS agrees that teaching and encouraging fictional reading is reduced.

    Republican doesn't necessarily equal conservative.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Good. Kids should be heavily documented in order to give them better options once they reach higher learning. Also, so teachers are supported by evidence when they fail kids because of the work they do/don't do. There are far too many cases of personal bias being used by teachers these days. Don't like kid X? ****ty grade. I'm all in favor of teachers having to support their qualifications with evidence. Why aren't you?
    SOME kids needs lots of documentation. Not most and certainly not all.
    Last edited by Josie; 11-07-13 at 06:43 PM.


  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,355

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Again, CCSS are the standards by which companies produce curricula. Each district chooses from "Common Core aligned" programs to purchase for their teachers and students. The specific questions will vary, depending on the writers of the program, their viewpoints, their philosophies....but it all goes back to the Common Core standards.
    Josie, help me understand. Is common core just another name for outcome based education, recycled? It sure sounds familiar.

Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •