Page 60 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 684

Thread: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

  1. #591
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    ok, so you care about choice and competition
    now share with us how a focus on choice and competition could substantially elevate our public school system
    Choice and competition allows parents to choos the best options for their child. If public schools can't compete-they should be allowed to go under only to be replaced by a more efficient and successful model.

    Public education is everything wrong with socialism, a model actually. We have a socialized system, where everyone must pay-regardless of if you even have children. Since there is little competition and a massive resistance to be being held to a standard-scores drop. Teachers form unions to improve conditions for them while claiming to be about the children. Any competition proven to improve outcomes is attacked. And as the problem gets worse and worse, they oppose changes to the system.

    Scores drop. We turn out robots. And unions try to guilt the public (always into more for themselves), by appealing to emotion because hey-its for the kids.

    Another textbook case-no child left behind. At tremendous expense (that could be spend elsewhere in ways proven to improve outcomes) even the govt admits (after being forced to study, and then hiding the results for nearly 2 years) that NCLB DOES NOT IMPROVE OUTCOMES.

    And yet the left still fights for it-because its not about actual education or actual outcomes-its about cosmic justice.

  2. #592
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,629

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Choice and competition allows parents to choos the best options for their child. If public schools can't compete-they should be allowed to go under only to be replaced by a more efficient and successful model.

    Public education is everything wrong with socialism, a model actually. We have a socialized system, where everyone must pay-regardless of if you even have children. Since there is little competition and a massive resistance to be being held to a standard-scores drop. Teachers form unions to improve conditions for them while claiming to be about the children. Any competition proven to improve outcomes is attacked. And as the problem gets worse and worse, they oppose changes to the system.

    Scores drop. We turn out robots. And unions try to guilt the public (always into more for themselves), by appealing to emotion because hey-its for the kids.

    Another textbook case-no child left behind. At tremendous expense (that could be spend elsewhere in ways proven to improve outcomes) even the govt admits (after being forced to study, and then hiding the results for nearly 2 years) that NCLB DOES NOT IMPROVE OUTCOMES.

    And yet the left still fights for it-because its not about actual education or actual outcomes-its about cosmic justice.
    Pretty close, except that it's not the unions that started or that supports no child left behind.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  3. #593
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    We actually see that today. In my day every kid knew their multiplication tables by heart by the 5th grade, today? We need pictures on cash registers so that kids now how to make change.
    Exactly. And think of that kids adult life-if he can hardly read or do BASIC math-econ, politics, science are all beyond him. It will hurt his kids. It hurts everyone, and liberals (in and out of academia) continue to defend mediocrity.

  4. #594
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,629

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Exactly. And think of that kids adult life-if he can hardly read or do BASIC math-econ, politics, science are all beyond him. It will hurt his kids. It hurts everyone, and liberals (in and out of academia) continue to defend mediocrity.
    Why would it be "liberals" who defend mediocrity? Mediocrity in learning, particularly in the realm of critical thinking, is the mothers milk of right wing rant radio. If it weren't for their easily led audiences, who would believe that liberals are against kids learning basic math, econ, politics, and science?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  5. #595
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Why would it be "liberals" who defend mediocrity? Mediocrity in learning, particularly in the realm of critical thinking, is the mothers milk of right wing rant radio. If it weren't for their easily led audiences, who would believe that liberals are against kids learning basic math, econ, politics, and science?
    You are being silly. Drop the propaganda and look at the objective evidence, buddy.

    Your side is the one championing kids NOT being proficient.

  6. #596
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,629

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You are being silly. Drop the propaganda and look at the objective evidence, buddy.

    Your side is the one championing kids NOT being proficient.
    "My side?"

    Just who are you lumping me in with? I've been arguing that the NCLB test is flawed, that we need to close down the Department of Education, and that schools should compete for students.

    Is "your side" opposed to the above, in favor of the Department of Education, the NCLB testing being expanded, and no competition between schools?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  7. #597
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    "My side?"

    Just who are you lumping me in with? I've been arguing that the NCLB test is flawed, that we need to close down the Department of Education, and that schools should compete for students.

    Is "your side" opposed to the above, in favor of the Department of Education, the NCLB testing being expanded, and no competition between schools?
    Your side is the side that doesn't feel American kids can do basic math. Im no fan of the dept of education-its ironic to hear a lefty cry about govt intervention and oversight-and poetic justice as well.

  8. #598
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,629

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Your side is the side that doesn't feel American kids can do basic math. Im no fan of the dept of education-its ironic to hear a lefty cry about govt intervention and oversight-and poetic justice as well.
    Where have I ever said that American kids shouldn't do basic math? All you're doing is making up absurd strawmen, and then lumping everyone who disagrees with anything you say as "liberals" or "leftys" and ascribing to them points of view that they have not expressed.

    Newsflash: Not everyone who does not share your point of view on every matter is the same.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  9. #599
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,662

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Choice and competition allows parents to choos the best options for their child. If public schools can't compete-they should be allowed to go under only to be replaced by a more efficient and successful model.

    Public education is everything wrong with socialism, a model actually. We have a socialized system, where everyone must pay-regardless of if you even have children. Since there is little competition and a massive resistance to be being held to a standard-scores drop. Teachers form unions to improve conditions for them while claiming to be about the children. Any competition proven to improve outcomes is attacked. And as the problem gets worse and worse, they oppose changes to the system.

    Scores drop. We turn out robots. And unions try to guilt the public (always into more for themselves), by appealing to emotion because hey-its for the kids.

    Another textbook case-no child left behind. At tremendous expense (that could be spend elsewhere in ways proven to improve outcomes) even the govt admits (after being forced to study, and then hiding the results for nearly 2 years) that NCLB DOES NOT IMPROVE OUTCOMES.

    And yet the left still fights for it-because its not about actual education or actual outcomes-its about cosmic justice.
    just as i anticipated
    you have no idea how to improve schools
    all you have is a litany of gripes about negative outcomes
    anyone can gripe and complain
    do something different - in this thread, hopefully - and share for us the steps/changes which must be taken/made to improve the education system in the USA ... because we are 'exceptional' after all
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it[
    Quote Originally Posted by oneworld2 View Post
    Except it's not their land and it was a war of conquest wrapped up as a defensive war. Subsequent events confirm this

  10. #600
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    just as i anticipated
    you have no idea how to improve schools
    all you have is a litany of gripes about negative outcomes
    anyone can gripe and complain
    do something different - in this thread, hopefully - and share for us the steps/changes which must be taken/made to improve the education system in the USA ... because we are 'exceptional' after all
    Ive already stated what will improve schools-being held to a standard, and competition.

Page 60 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •