Page 53 of 69 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 685

Thread: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

  1. #521
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Many others will be referred to Team and tested for learning disabilities. We already have teachers bringing in referrals because student cannot master a standard. Our administrator commented that we can now see how many students suffer from learning problems which I found fascinating. She didn't even consider the standards may not be appropriate for all children. Her assumption is they must be disabled.

  2. #522
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Isnt that the point of a diploma?
    Sure, if the test is valid. I've not seen the high school standards nor any questions they have been practicing with students.

  3. #523
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Im no fan of govt interference, or top down control-but the achievements of public schools are horrible and unions look after themselves. At least NCLB raised scores.

    Im hearing many teachers justifying mediocrity. I think we can do better.
    How does a test that is developmentally inappropriate justifying mediocrity? I'll love to hear this answer.

  4. #524
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    From : What I Told Educators on Long Island About Common Core | Diane Ravitch's blog

    I explained why I was uneasy about the hasty implementation of the Common Core in New York, especially the inappropriate rush to test the Common Core standards before teachers had a chance to learn about them, before resources were available to teach them, and before students had had a chance to learn them.

    I warned that the Common Core testing was designed to fail 70% of the students. New York Commissioner of Education John King predicted with uncanny accuracy before the tests were given that only 30% or so would pass. He knew this because he wrongly chose the NAEP “proficient” level as a pass-fail mark. On NAEP, 30% of New York students are at the “proficient” level, he figured, so that is what the state tests should show. But NAEP proficient was not designed to be a pass-fail mark; it represents “solid academic performance.” I was a board member of the National Assessment Governing Board for seven years. I know the achievement levels and the kind of student work they represent. On NAEP, “advanced” is extraordinary achievement (sort of like an A+). The next level, NAEP “proficient” is equivalent to an A or at least a strong B+ (the NAEP guidelines don’t say so), but it is certainly an indication of high academic achievement, not a pass-fail mark. There is only one state in the nation–Massachusetts–where 50% of the students have reached proficient.

    The “cut score” (or passing mark) was set so high that only 31% of New York students passed (including only 3% of English learners, only 5% of students with disabilities, only 15-18% of black and Hispanic students). Consequently, the New York State Education Department ignited a firestorm of outrage from parents. Arne Duncan said this indicated the disappointment of “white suburban moms,” but the New York Regents have yet to hold a hearing in New York City or any other urban district. I expect the Regents will get an earful from moms and dads of all races, not because they consider their child to be “brilliant,” but because they don’t consider them to be failures.

    I asked the leaders on Long Island: What will happen if 50-60-or 70% of students can’t pass the Common Core tests and can’t get a diploma? Has anyone thought about them? Will they be able to get any kind of job without a high school diploma? What exactly is the point of making the tests so hard that 70% will fail?

  5. #525
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Many others will be referred to Team and tested for learning disabilities. We already have teachers bringing in referrals because student cannot master a standard. Our administrator commented that we can now see how many students suffer from learning problems which I found fascinating. She didn't even consider the standards may not be appropriate for all children. Her assumption is they must be disabled.
    I hear you, but the fact remains-the performance in public schools is piss poor. If teachers were raising scores I wouldnt have as much of a problem, but as it is, teachers claim the problems are because of issues at home (meaning its not a school issue that can be corrected), or because of the test-again without a suitable alternative.

    In the mean time, students in private schools (the same ones more public school teachers send their kids to) and home schooling continues to outperform public schools.

  6. #526
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Sure, if the test is valid. I've not seen the high school standards nor any questions they have been practicing with students.
    As it is, many kids are simply passed through the system. Standards are falling. Do you disagree?

  7. #527
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    How does a test that is developmentally inappropriate justifying mediocrity? I'll love to hear this answer.
    Why do teachers hide from objective assessment of their own performance? If its about the kids lets get rid of the slacking teachers.

  8. #528
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I hear you, but the fact remains-the performance in public schools is piss poor. If teachers were raising scores I wouldnt have as much of a problem, but as it is, teachers claim the problems are because of issues at home (meaning its not a school issue that can be corrected), or because of the test-again without a suitable alternative.

    In the mean time, students in private schools (the same ones more public school teachers send their kids to) and home schooling continues to outperform public schools.
    Evidence that public school performance is "piss poor".

    I've got evidence to prove you otherwise: The 2009 PISA testing administered every three years to 15-year-olds in 60 countries determined U.S. students ranking 14th in reading. The U.S. average score was 500 and the average of all countries assessed was 493. Dr. Gerald N. Tirozzi, executive director of the National Association of Secondary School Principals, did an analysis of the performance of U.S. students based on the prevalence of poverty in the student body of their respective schools determined by rate of free and reduced lunch participation. The overall poverty rate in U.S. schools was established at 21.7 percent, highest of any of the countries tested.

    Tirozzi determined that the average PISA reading score for students in U.S. schools with less than 10 percent student poverty was 551, ranking first compared to the 10 countries with similar poverty numbers. Ruling out the factor of poverty, U.S. educators produce the highest-achieving students of any country in the world.

    The same ranking held for U.S. schools with 10 to 24.9 percent poverty. Remarkably, this group’s average, 527, was higher than the scores of any of the other PISA countries except Korea and Finland.

    U.S. schools with poverty rates between 25 and 49.9 percent (far exceeding any other country tested) scored an average of 502, still in the upper half of all the countries tested.

    In U.S. schools with 50 to 74.9 percent students in poverty, the average PISA score was 471. Students in schools with poverty greater than 75 percent scored 446, outperforming only Mexico. The achievement gap is not a factor of the caliber of leadership and instruction in the U.S. public school system. It reflects the high poverty rates that cluster in the most under-resourced schools in our country. The Principal Difference: A School Leadership Blog by Mel Riddile: PISA: It's Poverty Not Stupid

    Private schools do not deal with the same issues public schools deal with so it is not a fair comparison.

  9. #529
    User DSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    12-07-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    48
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    There is no doubt that you want to get into the classroom. That is where you can manipulate the general population the easiest. The democrats know this all to well, along with their union teachers.

  10. #530
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    As it is, many kids are simply passed through the system. Standards are falling. Do you disagree?
    I disagree. MA standards are quite high.

Page 53 of 69 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •