Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 685

Thread: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

  1. #341
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,357

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    So you had an active role, at the local level, in choosing the curriculum. I don't know whether they picked your choice, but it was your district's choice to make.
    You're right - I had an active role of choosing a curriculum ---- Crap A or Crap B.


  2. #342
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Students in special education, primarily. I'm saying that sometimes the existing structure ends up working better for the students than a decentralized and stripped down bureaucracy would. Sometimes best practices are left to the teachers, however, as you may recall, most of that work is researched and implemented by administrative staff above the individual school.
    Of course there would have to be allowances made for special education. Student with special needs would have to generate more revenue than those without.

    As for research, that's best conducted by the universities, then made available to principals and teachers.

    That reminds me of yet another problem with the curriculum: Quite often, the "best practices" are based not on research, but on politics and fads.

    As an example, I can remember having had the practice of writer's workshop promoted, then required. I later found out that the "research" conducted to find out how effective this method was was based on six subjects, all children of college professors.

    Then, there were the fads: Robert's English, individualized instruction, whole language, new math, none of them actually vetted by research, all of them put into practice in schools.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #343
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,686

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Of course there would have to be allowances made for special education. Student with special needs would have to generate more revenue than those without.

    As for research, that's best conducted by the universities, then made available to principals and teachers.
    Universities act in partnership with school districts and state departments, but they frequently are not the ones pumping out the materials. Individuals from the universities make up an incredibly small portion of policy evaluation and adjustments, and rightly so. State agencies not connected to the universities make up much to most of the research and implementation in a given area. Part of this is, ironically, because of the same complaint you had about the Ivory tower. I have an incredibly hard time believing that universities and individual schools or individual districts can make up for the gains we've been making with the traditional bureaucracy.

    That reminds me of yet another problem with the curriculum: Quite often, the "best practices" are based not on research, but on politics and fads.
    Yes, that is true, but that's the nature of the beast. Sometimes it is fads, other times it is not. Market-based solutions, also are subject to the fad problem, as Ravitch is mostly right in pointing out.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 11-12-13 at 10:05 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #344
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Universities act in partnership with school districts and state departments, but they frequently are not the ones pumping out the materials. Individuals from the universities make up an incredibly small portion of policy evaluation and adjustments, and rightly so. State agencies not connected to the universities make up much to most of the research and implementation in a given area. Part of this is, ironically, because of the same complaint you had about the Ivory tower. I have an incredibly hard time believing that universities and individual schools or individual districts can make up for the gains we've been making with the traditional bureaucracy.



    Yes, that is true, but that's the nature of the beast. Sometimes it is fads, other times it is not. Market-based solutions, also are subject to the fad problem, as Ravitch is mostly right in pointing out.
    yes, market based solutions: Just get a fad started, then make the materials needed, and you can make a fortune. Of course, it helps to have allies in high places. Did you catch the part about the big test, McGraw Hill, and the Bushes? Follow the money.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #345
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,686

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    yes, market based solutions: Just get a fad started, then make the materials needed, and you can make a fortune. Of course, it helps to have allies in high places. Did you catch the part about the big test, McGraw Hill, and the Bushes? Follow the money.
    Yes, but I have not expressed any opposition to that analysis, either.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #346
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,892

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    You're right - I had an active role of choosing a curriculum ---- Crap A or Crap B.
    States and districts can add or subtract from the offered curriculums. Did your district or state do that?
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  7. #347
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,933

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms | Fox News

    And this is how liberalism gained a foot hold in todays politics. with them propagandizing our children over the generations. why do you think most teachers and college professor lean to the left

    "Whoever controls youth, controls the future" was the slogan, given the German National club to the Communist thieves' den.
    And with the OP you went all Godwin so at least you got that out of the way already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  8. #348
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,284

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Conservatives are about doing things in the traditional way. When it comes to education, the way was to rely on a specific set of knowledge that should be taught. They had a canon for literature, science, and philosophy. Two of the most well-known proponents of the canon for literature are Alan and Harold Bloom (no relation) both of whom are conservative.
    Yes yes, the public school system is controlled by conservatives.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #349
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,933

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    So the OP started an anti-Common Core thread... looks like he's taking his right-wing marching orders seriously:

    Fierce opposition to the standards looks like a grassroots movement, but a deeper look is revealing. In the Politico story, Stephanie Simon and Nirvi Shah write that Common Core opponents, "project an image of scrappy grassroots gumption: One rancher in Alabama said he would sell off a cow to cover the costs of an anti-Common Core town hall. But they’re backed by an array of organizations with multimillion dollar budgets of their own and much experience in mobilizing crowds and lobbying lawmakers, including The Heritage Foundation, Americans for Prosperity, the Pioneer Institute, Concerned Women for America and FreedomWorks."

    Well looky here... surprise surprise surprise.

    Koch brother organizations say jump and all the sudden we have conservatives jump.

    Actually its no surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #350
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,686

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    So the OP started an anti-Common Core thread... looks like he's taking his right-wing marching orders seriously:

    Fierce opposition to the standards looks like a grassroots movement, but a deeper look is revealing. In the Politico story, Stephanie Simon and Nirvi Shah write that Common Core opponents, "project an image of scrappy grassroots gumption: One rancher in Alabama said he would sell off a cow to cover the costs of an anti-Common Core town hall. But they’re backed by an array of organizations with multimillion dollar budgets of their own and much experience in mobilizing crowds and lobbying lawmakers, including The Heritage Foundation, Americans for Prosperity, the Pioneer Institute, Concerned Women for America and FreedomWorks."

    Well looky here... surprise surprise surprise.

    Koch brother organizations say jump and all the sudden we have conservatives jump.

    Actually its no surprise.
    Some of it is somewhat interesting as well, considering the Heritage Foundation was one of the driving forces behind the movement which intellectually informed the CC.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •