Page 29 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 684

Thread: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

  1. #281
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,463

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Education will never truly change in this country until more parents start giving a damn.
    Might as well be content with the idea that it won't, then. :P Join our crowd of the: "no matter what you do, you can likely only get marginal improvement, but we must keep going with trying" mantra.
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

  2. #282
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,199

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Might as well be content with the idea that it won't, then. :P Join our crowd of the: "no matter what you do, you can likely only get marginal improvement, but we must keep going with trying" mantra.
    IMO, if we want more than marginal improvement, it's going to take more than changing anything the teachers and schools do (as far as teaching goes). There's a host of social factors that need to be addressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I don't have any issue with any investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #283
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,463

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    IMO, if we want more than marginal improvement, it's going to take more than changing anything the teachers and schools do (as far as teaching goes). There's a host of social factors that need to be addressed.
    Oh, sure, but the problem is that's an abstract discussion that can hardly be attacked by anyone. Compounding the difficulty is no one is quite sure why education is failing, but we have all convinced ourselves that it surely is failing in this country. Short of examining the negative impact of NCLB and some of the accountability school, it's to the point where I am skeptical of the reach of the claim itself.
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

  4. #284
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,199

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Oh, sure, but the problem is that's an abstract discussion that can hardly be attacked by anyone. Compounding the difficulty is no one is quite sure why education is failing, but we have all convinced ourselves that it surely is failing in this country. Short of examining the negative impact of NCLB and some of the accountability school, it's to the point where I am skeptical of the reach of the claim itself.
    At this point, I should probably state that I don't believe that our educational system is failing. I think the large majority of schools are doing a job that could be described as satisfactory to excellent. IMO, the problem is with a small portion of the schools - the worst performers, who are doing a poor job. The problems those schools are having have little to do with the curriculum or a lack of testing or national standards
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I don't have any issue with any investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #285
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-19-18 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,930

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Oh, sure, but the problem is that's an abstract discussion that can hardly be attacked by anyone. Compounding the difficulty is no one is quite sure why education is failing, but we have all convinced ourselves that it surely is failing in this country. Short of examining the negative impact of NCLB and some of the accountability school, it's to the point where I am skeptical of the reach of the claim itself.
    I have to agree with you. Looking at 2009 PISA scores and accounting for poverty, we don't look as bad as some of these politicians want us to believe.

    The Answer Sheet - How poverty affected U.S. PISA scores
    The Principal Difference: A School Leadership Blog by Mel Riddile: PISA: It's Poverty Not Stupid

  6. #286
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,463

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    I have to agree with you. Looking at 2009 PISA scores and accounting for poverty, we don't look as bad as some of these politicians want us to believe.

    The Answer Sheet - How poverty affected U.S. PISA scores
    The Principal Difference: A School Leadership Blog by Mel Riddile: PISA: It's Poverty Not Stupid
    My biggest concern is that I do not believe we were ever at the "top of the class", if you will, for international comparisons. Americans love to bring up the fact that X number of countries outrank us through certain examinations. Well, sure, but how long has it been that way? If I recall correctly, it's been that way for much of the measured 20th century.

    It's part of the conflating issues of American exceptionalism. I think Americans have taken it to mean that they must be the best at everything good and away from everything bad to be exceptional lol. This is regardless if we never were the best at something.

    *American exceptionalism, broadly understood, is the concept that America or the American continents are unique in experience, for better or for worse*
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

  7. #287
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,070

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    At this point, I should probably state that I don't believe that our educational system is failing. I think the large majority of schools are doing a job that could be described as satisfactory to excellent.
    Are you kidding here...In this assessment we rank 27th out of 33 in Math, 22nd out of 33 in Science, and Dead last 33rd place in Reading....Yeah, the system is just fine.....

    Educational Score Performance - Country Rankings

    IMO, the problem is with a small portion of the schools - the worst performers, who are doing a poor job. The problems those schools are having have little to do with the curriculum or a lack of testing or national standards
    You're partially right here...There is much more to the story in low performing school systems. Incompetent teachers, Administration that just doesn't care, Drop out rates through the roof, Lack of basic supplies and tools (Back to the administration level problems), and Apathetic parenting. But to say that standards, testing, or curriculum is little, to nothing of the problem, is blame shifting to the max.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #288
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,463

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Are you kidding here...In this assessment we rank 27th out of 33 in Math, 22nd out of 33 in Science, and Dead last 33rd place in Reading....Yeah, the system is just fine.....
    Newsflash: We never outranked the world, or anywhere near it with standardized examinations. When the U.S. was the unquestioned superpower of superpowers, the greatest economy, the best workers, and the brightest future for all guess what? We always got trounced.
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

  9. #289
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,070

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Newsflash: We never outranked the world, or anywhere near it with standardized examinations. When the U.S. was the unquestioned superpower of superpowers, the greatest economy, the best workers, and the brightest future for all guess what? We always got trounced.
    So, we should just accept low rankings? Great, maybe our chant can be "we're last place!"
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #290
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,463

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, we should just accept low rankings? Great, maybe our chant can be "we're last place!"
    Unless you want to match the incredibly naive optimism that plagued liberals in the late 20th century, then yes, you'll want to accept much of that reality, and try to reexamine the premise. Do what is somewhat possible to improve matters, but accept the notion that massive change is likely not ever going to happen.
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

Page 29 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •