Page 25 of 69 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 684

Thread: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

  1. #241
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,562

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    I'll go on to Part 4 in a bit.

    I want to reiterate that as a teacher, my number one concern about Common Core (and NCLB, for that matter) is that teachers are being turned into data-producing robots who test, test, test constantly instead of teaching. Students are being turned into unimaginative, non-creative answer-givers. But the answer better be written in the "correct" way or it's wrong even if it's right! Oy.


  2. #242
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,480

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    For special needs kids - yeah; although from what I understand the increased funding can create perverse incentives for local school administrators to rapidly and possibly over-class kids as "special needs". I wouldn't be able to speak to that with anything close to your background or knowledge, however, and would defer to you if you tell me I am incorrect in it's actual application.
    In some areas, yes, federal policy (either exclusively for special education or general education impacting special education), can create incentives for over-identifying. Measurement, however, would be more difficult. Historically, however, I would also state that it is undeniably better than the decades preceding federal involvement, because early-era special education was truly where you would throw any "problem child," immigrant, or racial minority that didn't quite do what the classroom teacher wanted.

    This is where the fun "unintended consequences" neocon thing can get handy.
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

  3. #243
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,668

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    I'll go on to Part 4 in a bit.

    I want to reiterate that as a teacher, my number one concern about Common Core (and NCLB, for that matter) is that teachers are being turned into data-producing robots who test, test, test constantly instead of teaching. Students are being turned into unimaginative, non-creative answer-givers. But the answer better be written in the "correct" way or it's wrong even if it's right! Oy.
    You got that right. NCLB and "Race to the Top" created a test centered curriculum and pressure to get the test scores up no matter what.

    We'd be far better off without the Department of Education, IMO.

    There are better ways of measuring student progress than via a multiple guess test at the end of the year, it seems to me. Do all your students even try to get the answers right?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  4. #244
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,562

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Do all your students even try to get the answers right?
    When I taught 3rd grade and had to administer state assessments, I would sit there watching these 9 year olds try to get through pages and pages of material in 45 minutes. Especially when it came to reading, many kids would just glance at the passage and then just half-heartedly read the questions/answers. Some of my lowest readers would just mark answers down the page because they knew they had zero chance of getting them right. It was exhausting to watch them.


  5. #245
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,480

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    You got that right. NCLB and "Race to the Top" created a test centered curriculum and pressure to get the test scores up no matter what.
    I would pull it much earlier than that. At the very least you want to start with Goals 2000. This has been a long time coming.

    We'd be far better off without the Department of Education, IMO.
    Seriously disagree.

    There are better ways of measuring student progress than via a multiple guess test at the end of the year, it seems to me. Do all your students even try to get the answers right?
    Many times there are better ways, but they also tend to be more subjective ways.

    If the number one (two or three) concern in America is "the status of the American education system" you will look for national means of measuring student progress or failure. If you are looking for national student progress or failure, you want a more unified system in which to measure that. As such, you get simple, easy-to-understand exams and easily quantified data. This despite we can also extensively critique the exams, the rationale behind them, and the value of the results.
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

  6. #246
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,668

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    When I taught 3rd grade and had to administer state assessments, I would sit there watching these 9 year olds try to get through pages and pages of material in 45 minutes. Especially when it came to reading, many kids would just glance at the passage and then just half-heartedly read the questions/answers. Some of my lowest readers would just mark answers down the page because they knew they had zero chance of getting them right. It was exhausting to watch them.
    Yes, I taught 4th. graders who were smart enough to figure out that the results of the tests didn't affect them much anyway. They'd sit and do their best on the first 45 minute test, but when it came to the second, third, fourth, etc., more and more of them would be "all finished" in five minutes or less. When people get upset about test scores not being high enough, I take the results with a grain of salt.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  7. #247
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,198

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Common Core is a progressive initiative, applauded by Obama, funded through the Race to the Top agenda and accepted whole-heartedly by blue states. Yet you still say it's a conservative idea. LOL!
    The Common Core initiative is sponsored by the National Governors Association (NGA) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO). It's been whole heartedly accepted by 46 states.

    These governors aren't Progressives....

    http://www.nga.org/files/live/sites/...MITTEELIST.PDF



    If it is a conservative idea, why are the most conservative states rejecting it?
    Because Obama likes it.

    Why are the most outspoken conservatives in our nation demanding a stop to it? Why are progressive states embracing it?
    Kentucky is a red state.....


    "...Kentucky was the first to implement the Common Core standards, and began offering the new curriculum in math and English in August of 2010. In 2013 Time magazine reported that the high school graduation rate had increased from 80% in 2010 to 86% in 2013, test scores went up 2 percentage points in the second year of using the Common Core test, and the percentage of students considered to be ready for college or a career, based on a battery of assessments, went up from 34% in 2010 to 54% in 2013.....

    Common Core State Standards Initiative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  8. #248
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,562

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Yes, I taught 4th. graders who were smart enough to figure out that the results of the tests didn't affect them much anyway. They'd sit and do their best on the first 45 minute test, but when it came to the second, third, fourth, etc., more and more of them would be "all finished" in five minutes or less. When people get upset about test scores not being high enough, I take the results with a grain of salt.
    Yep. They'd ask me if it was for a grade and I'd tell them it was like the school was getting a grade. I knew they didn't care much about that.


  9. #249
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,668

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I would pull it much earlier than that. At the very least you want to start with Goals 2000. This has been a long time coming.



    Seriously disagree.



    Many times there are better ways, but they also tend to be more subjective ways.

    If the number one (two or three) concern in America is "the status of the American education system" you will look for national means of measuring student progress or failure. If you are looking for national student progress or failure, you want a more unified system in which to measure that. As such, you get simple, easy-to-understand exams and easily quantified data. This despite we can also extensively critique the exams, the rationale behind them, and the value of the results.
    If you want to know how well kids can write, you give them a subject and have them write about it. If you want to know how well they read, do a reading inventory. If you want to know how well they do math, give them a math problem to work on. Good teachers knew how well their kids could read, write, and do math long before anyone thought of the NCLB tests. All that is needed is to standardize the reading inventories, math sheets, and writing assessments. That doesn't have to be subjective, at least not very, and is far and away more accurate than a multiple guess test that kids don't care about.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  10. #250
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,480

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    If you want to know how well kids can write, you give them a subject and have them write about it. If you want to know how well they read, do a reading inventory. If you want to know how well they do math, give them a math problem to work on. Good teachers knew how well their kids could read, write, and do math long before anyone thought of the NCLB tests. All that is needed is to standardize the reading inventories, math sheets, and writing assessments. That doesn't have to be subjective, at least not very, and is far and away more accurate than a multiple guess test that kids don't care about.
    Fantastic, but as we all know, what the teachers say about student progress doesn't really matter. What matters is systemic discontent by American citizens, business leaders, and politicians. As a result, you're looking at systematically evaluating not only a student, a teacher, a school, a district, and a county or even Governor's units..you're evaluating entire states, regions, and the country as a whole. Try giving a "state" or "national" report card off of the varied evaluations a teacher thinks appropriate. We would be taking writing samples, surely systematizing them like the SAT/ACT/GRE, but it's still standardized, somewhat arbitrary stuff educators can and rightly do critique, right?
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

Page 25 of 69 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •