Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 684

Thread: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

  1. #191
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,205

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    If I had a scanner, I would scan you the extended responses I'm correcting now. I think most people would be quite shocked. I will find you a link.
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying I think you're wrong. I'm just saying that I don't know that you're right.

    However, true or not I still don't support CC. IOW, you don't have to knock yourself out posting a link, but if it's not too much trouble I would appreciate one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I don't have any issue with any investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #192
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-19-18 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,930

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Well, that's a whole different matter. I know there's an effort to "integrate" the various areas of study into one another, and there's some sense to doing so, but this seems to be taking the matter wa-a-a-a-y to far.

    However, I have to admit that I'm finding it hard to believe that this is required. Do you have any links to where the CC requires this?
    Yes, I agree it reasonable to have students begin to critique answers but not every student has that skill because in order to critique something in writing you are using a separate skill set. To declare children not meeting expectations for mathematics due to poor language skills isn't fair IMHO.

    Part a is designed to allow students an accessible entry into the content, asking them to sequence three large numbers using drag-and-drop technology. This technology enables students to test their ideas about number relationships before submitting their answer electronically. In Parts b and c, students must think deeply about what rounding means in terms of the sizes of numbers and their relationships to one another. Knowing the rules of rounding and place value is not sufficient for students to answer the questions and explain their thinking. Part b asks students to critique the work of others (MP.3), while Part c asks students to justify their conclusions (MP.3) and addresses both precise communication and flexible reasoning (MP.6). CCSSTOOLBOX.COM

    The core standard example link was embedded in this link: Common Core critics argue that some of the standards are not developmentally appropriate for young students. Earlier this year I published this post by Edward Miller and Nancy Carlsson-Paige about how the standards smack in the face of what we know about how young children learn. Here’s is a new post with concerns about the developmental appropriateness of some Core math standards. This was written by Carol Burris and John Murphy. Why young kids are struggling with Common Core math

  3. #193
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-19-18 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,930

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Can anyone guess the grade level of this specific standard?

  4. #194
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,205

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Can anyone guess the grade level of this specific standard?
    Yeah, that surpised me. While I do think kids should be encouraged to explain their answers in order to demonstrate and enhance their understanding, this goes too far, IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I don't have any issue with any investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #195
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-19-18 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,930

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yeah, that surpised me. While I do think kids should be encouraged to explain their answers in order to demonstrate and enhance their understanding, this goes too far, IMO
    .....And where it goes too far is the expectation that a 9 year old student should be able to show proficiency with this kind of work. If the expectation is to develop this skill I would feel entirely different about the standards. At any rate, NY tried out the PARCC assessment based on CC and 70% of students failed. My fear is instead of having a national conversation whether this is developmentally appropriate for children to master at such a young age, it will shift to US schools are failures. Let's privatize more schools. Let's fire more teachers. Let's label our children stupid and lazy. And so it goes when something like this is so politicized.

  6. #196
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,562

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Okay, let's start with Part 1 of the Stop Common Core video. I will list the facts about the origins of CCSS and whatever else comes up in the first video. Then I'll post it, you can comment on it, dispute the facts with your own links and research and we'll go on to the next video. Yes, this video was created by people AGAINST Common Core (hence, the name) so in the video there are references to personal opinions as to why it's been started and what the end result will be. We're not going to discuss opinions, but the hard facts about CCSS. As I said, please feel free to dispute any fact that you believe is false. We're all here to learn, yes?

    1. Parents have no recourse to influence content standards. If parents, teachers, administrators, school boards, taxpayers feel as though a standard is too easy or too hard for students in K-12, they cannot change it. If their state has adopted Common Core, that standard must be taught and must be met by their students.

    2. CCSS is a set of educational standards for English Language Arts and Math (and Science just came out as well) to ideally be adopted by all 50 states so that education will be standardized in America.

    3. The writers of CCSS believe they have created rigorous standards which will produce students who are more prepared for college. It also allows for students to be compared state-to-state.

    4. CCSS has currently been adopted by 45 states and the District of Columbia (that might have changed by now....not sure...)

    5. The individual states did not help create the standards. They were written by Achieve, Inc, & The National Governors Association and the CCSSO - Washington D.C. trade organizations who were given no legislative grant of authority from the States to write standards.

    6. The Gates Foundations has given the above groups $27 million to advance Common Core. The Gates Foundation plans to spend $150 million on CCSS.

    7. Because the PARCC assessment must be given at the same time with every student on a computer, school districts will have to purchase and maintain PCs for every student.

    8. The Race to the Top competition came out of the 2009 Stimulus Bill. In order to have a realistic shot at Race to the Top money, states had to agree to accept and implement the CCSS sight unseen.

    9. Race to the Top applications went out in November of 2009 and had to be turned in by January 2010 -- a time when our country's economy sucked with little money to go around. Most state legislators weren't even in session when the states decided to apply for Race to the Top money.

    10. The CCSS were released in 2010 and had to be accepted by state school boards by August 2010 - no involvement with state legislature.

    11. The Department of Education was also offering an NCLB waiver to those states who accepted Race to the Top money and CCSS.

    12. The national tests created for Common Core will be all computer-based. School districts will have to purchase and maintain computers for every student who has to take the national tests. This will be a substantial amount of money (especially for districts who barely have one computer per 30 kids.)

    13. The Department of Education is paying for the national tests, but when the money runs out the states will have to pick up the costs. We don't know exactly what the cost to taxpayers will be in the end.

    14. The PARCC assessment was created by progressive reformers ---- they aren't listed ---- we need to look those up.

    15. The Smarter Balanced assessment was created by Linda Darling-Hammond, Stanford Professor who opposes standardized testing. <<< ?? need to find out more about her


  7. #197
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    05-24-18 @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,682
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Okay, let's start with Part 1 of the Stop Common Core video. I will list the facts about the origins of CCSS and whatever else comes up in the first video. Then I'll post it, you can comment on it, dispute the facts with your own links and research and we'll go on to the next video. Yes, this video was created by people AGAINST Common Core (hence, the name) so in the video there are references to personal opinions as to why it's been started and what the end result will be. We're not going to discuss opinions, but the hard facts about CCSS. As I said, please feel free to dispute any fact that you believe is false. We're all here to learn, yes?

    1. Parents have no recourse to influence content standards. If parents, teachers, administrators, school boards, taxpayers feel as though a standard is too easy or too hard for students in K-12, they cannot change it. If their state has adopted Common Core, that standard must be taught and must be met by their students.

    2. CCSS is a set of educational standards for English Language Arts and Math (and Science just came out as well) to ideally be adopted by all 50 states so that education will be standardized in America.

    3. The writers of CCSS believe they have created rigorous standards which will produce students who are more prepared for college. It also allows for students to be compared state-to-state.

    4. CCSS has currently been adopted by 45 states and the District of Columbia (that might have changed by now....not sure...)

    5. The individual states did not help create the standards. They were written by Achieve, Inc, & The National Governors Association and the CCSSO - Washington D.C. trade organizations who were given no legislative grant of authority from the States to write standards.

    6. The Gates Foundations has given the above groups $27 million to advance Common Core. The Gates Foundation plans to spend $150 million on CCSS.

    7. Because the PARCC assessment must be given at the same time with every student on a computer, school districts will have to purchase and maintain PCs for every student.

    8. The Race to the Top competition came out of the 2009 Stimulus Bill. In order to have a realistic shot at Race to the Top money, states had to agree to accept and implement the CCSS sight unseen.

    9. Race to the Top applications went out in November of 2009 and had to be turned in by January 2010 -- a time when our country's economy sucked with little money to go around. Most state legislators weren't even in session when the states decided to apply for Race to the Top money.

    10. The CCSS were released in 2010 and had to be accepted by state school boards by August 2010 - no involvement with state legislature.

    11. The Department of Education was also offering an NCLB waiver to those states who accepted Race to the Top money and CCSS.

    12. The national tests created for Common Core will be all computer-based. School districts will have to purchase and maintain computers for every student who has to take the national tests. This will be a substantial amount of money (especially for districts who barely have one computer per 30 kids.)

    13. The Department of Education is paying for the national tests, but when the money runs out the states will have to pick up the costs. We don't know exactly what the cost to taxpayers will be in the end.

    14. The PARCC assessment was created by progressive reformers ---- they aren't listed ---- we need to look those up.

    15. The Smarter Balanced assessment was created by Linda Darling-Hammond, Stanford Professor who opposes standardized testing. <<< ?? need to find out more about her
    That's a much better way of presenting the information than the woman in the video. Her presentation really does have an air of conspiracy theory.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  8. #198
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,478

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post

    5. The individual states did not help create the standards. They were written by Achieve, Inc, & The National Governors Association and the CCSSO - Washington D.C. trade organizations who were given no legislative grant of authority from the States to write standards.
    The NGA is about as good as you are going to get with state concerns. Labeling it a "Washington D.C. trade organization" obscures the body of that organization.
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

  9. #199
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,562

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Here is the PARCC assessment website: Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers | PARCC

    Here's the Smarter Balanced assessment website: Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium

    I actually didn't know there were 2 different tests. If they want every state to have the same standards, why not the same assessment too? ??


  10. #200
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,205

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Okay, let's start with Part 1 of the Stop Common Core video. I will list the facts about the origins of CCSS and whatever else comes up in the first video. Then I'll post it, you can comment on it, dispute the facts with your own links and research and we'll go on to the next video. Yes, this video was created by people AGAINST Common Core (hence, the name) so in the video there are references to personal opinions as to why it's been started and what the end result will be. We're not going to discuss opinions, but the hard facts about CCSS. As I said, please feel free to dispute any fact that you believe is false. We're all here to learn, yes?

    1. Parents have no recourse to influence content standards. If parents, teachers, administrators, school boards, taxpayers feel as though a standard is too easy or too hard for students in K-12, they cannot change it. If their state has adopted Common Core, that standard must be taught and must be met by their students.
    Their state can influence the curriculum in their state. They can reject CC.


    2. CCSS is a set of educational standards for English Language Arts and Math (and Science just came out as well) to ideally be adopted by all 50 states so that education will be standardized in America.
    Neither an argument for or against CC

    3. The writers of CCSS believe they have created rigorous standards which will produce students who are more prepared for college. It also allows for students to be compared state-to-state.
    Neither an argument for or against CC
    4. CCSS has currently been adopted by 45 states and the District of Columbia (that might have changed by now....not sure...)

    5. The individual states did not help create the standards. They were written by Achieve, Inc, & The National Governors Association and the CCSSO - Washington D.C. trade organizations who were given no legislative grant of authority from the States to write standards.
    Neither an argument for or against CC

    6. The Gates Foundations has given the above groups $27 million to advance Common Core. The Gates Foundation plans to spend $150 million on CCSS.
    Neither an argument for or against CC


    7. Because the PARCC assessment must be given at the same time with every student on a computer, school districts will have to purchase and maintain PCs for every student.
    There's a relevant fact!!


    8. The Race to the Top competition came out of the 2009 Stimulus Bill. In order to have a realistic shot at Race to the Top money, states had to agree to accept and implement the CCSS sight unseen.
    States could reduse to accept and implement it


    9. Race to the Top applications went out in November of 2009 and had to be turned in by January 2010 -- a time when our country's economy sucked with little money to go around. Most state legislators weren't even in session when the states decided to apply for Race to the Top money.
    See above


    10. The CCSS were released in 2010 and had to be accepted by state school boards by August 2010 - no involvement with state legislature.
    see above


    11. The Department of Education was also offering an NCLB waiver to those states who accepted Race to the Top money and CCSS.
    See above and Neither an argument for or against CC

    12. The national tests created for Common Core will be all computer-based. School districts will have to purchase and maintain computers for every student who has to take the national tests. This will be a substantial amount of money (especially for districts who barely have one computer per 30 kids.)
    Again, an argument, but you've already stated this. So far, you're batting one in twelve


    13. The Department of Education is paying for the national tests, but when the money runs out the states will have to pick up the costs. We don't know exactly what the cost to taxpayers will be in the end.
    States do not have to accept CC


    14. The PARCC assessment was created by progressive reformers ---- they aren't listed ---- we need to look those up.
    Neither an argument for or against CC


    15. The Smarter Balanced assessment was created by Linda Darling-Hammond, Stanford Professor who opposes standardized testing. <<< ?? need to find out more about her
    Neither an argument for or against CC

    None of your arguments have anything to do with the quality of the standards. The only argument there is the cost, which states can avoid by opting out of CC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I don't have any issue with any investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •