Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 685

Thread: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

  1. #181
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    You posted her opinions. As such they are open for discussion. I asked you to present the facts from her video. Why is that a problem? I've explained that I don't see facts. You must have or you wouldn't have posted it.
    And I posted a fact from the video about Common Core for us to discuss - you said "Well, NCLB kinda did that too!!!" and then went back to the conspiracy stuff again. That tells me that you really don't want to discuss Common Core itself....you want to talk about conspiracy theories. I don't. So....... we're done here. Let me know if you want to get back to the facts - research it on your own - post a video or article that you think we should discuss. I'm all ears.


  2. #182
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,120
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Why did you care about NCLB?
    NCLB mandated state-wide testing according to certain standards. The feds can't tell the states which state standards to meet. Furthermore it created state standards but didn't give the states sufficient funds. Furthermore early on it gave the military access to student records for god knows what reason. This actually led to recruiters stalking children. Lastly it set a precedent of expanding federal power.

    The Common Core sets a federal standard with a theoretical federal testing as opposed to state testing. While ideally I'd rather not have the feds involved so much, NCLB set a new precedent (which is one of the reasons why I opposed it). Now that the cat's out of the bag might as well try and make it work. Federal testing across all states using a standardized education system is the way to go as opposed to the feds trying to mandate 50 different standards.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  3. #183
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,955

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    And I posted a fact from the video about Common Core for us to discuss - you said "Well, NCLB kinda did that too!!!" and then went back to the conspiracy stuff again. That tells me that you really don't want to discuss Common Core itself....you want to talk about conspiracy theories. I don't. So....... we're done here. Let me know if you want to get back to the facts - research it on your own - post a video or article that you think we should discuss. I'm all ears.
    Yes. That is a fact. NCLB did the same. Are you upset about that?

    I went back to discussing the video you posted explaining that I saw no facts about CC and asked you again to present some from the video, since that is your source. Plain and simple. I don't understand why that is a problem. I want to discuss the video you posted since you claim there are facts relevant to CC.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  4. #184
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,157

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Yes. That is a fact. NCLB did the same. Are you upset about that?

    I went back to discussing the video you posted explaining that I saw no facts about CC and asked you again to present some from the video, since that is your source. Plain and simple. I don't understand why that is a problem. I want to discuss the video you posted since you claim there are facts relevant to CC.
    your assessment of that video is accurate
    that diatribe offers no factual information about common core to illustrate why the new approach should be avoided
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #185
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Yes. I too have concerns with the math standards. One of the things that bothered me was the fact that children have to construct in writing a step by step process of how they arrived at an answer. Just putting the correct answer isn't enough and they would lose points. That off that bat lowers math scores for children who may have trouble verbalizing each step and then writing them. I have a boy in my room who is a math whiz but has a hard time with language skills. It doesn't seem fair he may show up as not proficient in math for a weakness in his language skills.
    When I was in school 40 years ago, one could lose points for not showing how they calculated their answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #186
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    When I was in school 40 years ago, one could lose points for not showing how they calculated their answer.
    Showing the equation and explaining it in a step by step manner is not measuring the same skill set.

  7. #187
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Showing the equation and explaining it in a step by step manner is not measuring the same skill set.
    So you're saying the new standards require the student to write the equivalent of a mini-composition that explains how they got the answer, and not just show the intermediate formulas?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #188
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So you're saying the new standards require the student to write the equivalent of a mini-composition that explains how they got the answer, and not just show the intermediate formulas?
    Yes, exactly. They have to "construct" responses which requires plenty of language/verbal skills. My fear is students in the past who may have struggled in language processing skills but would shine in nonverbal spacial/abstract reasoning mathematical skills will not get the true credit they deserve for such skills.

  9. #189
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Yes, exactly. They have to "construct" responses which requires plenty of language/verbal skills. My fear is students in the past who may have struggled in language processing skills but would shine in nonverbal spacial/abstract reasoning mathematical skills will not get the true credit they deserve for such skills.
    Well, that's a whole different matter. I know there's an effort to "integrate" the various areas of study into one another, and there's some sense to doing so, but this seems to be taking the matter wa-a-a-a-y to far.

    However, I have to admit that I'm finding it hard to believe that this is required. Do you have any links to where the CC requires this?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #190
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Well, that's a whole different matter. I know there's an effort to "integrate" the various areas of study into one another, and there's some sense to doing so, but this seems to be taking the matter wa-a-a-a-y to far.

    However, I have to admit that I'm finding it hard to believe that this is required. Do you have any links to where the CC requires this?
    If I had a scanner, I would scan you the extended responses I'm correcting now. I think most people would be quite shocked. I will find you a link.

Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •