Page 14 of 69 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 685

Thread: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

  1. #131
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,151

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    ... employers' and colleges' academic demands for high school graduates have converged, yet states' current high-school exit expectations fall well short of those demands.
    this is a key finding from Ready or Not: Creating a High School Diploma That Counts | Achieve

    that 2004 assessment recognized that our nation's high school graduates were matriculating to the work force and institutions of higher learning under-prepared to be successful in those environments
    in short, while they were graduating, they emerged without adequate knowledge to be successful for the next step in their young careers. that was the reality behind a core curriculum, where attempts are being made to assure high school graduates do emerge into colleges/universities and/or the working world prepared to be successful in those endeavors. sounds like good governance to me with this attempt to rectify the identified problem
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #132
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    By the way, I mispoke when I said ":another school in my district". I intend to say "in my county". It's in a different school district and even a different culture and is a totally different situation than where I live.

  3. #133
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    If the Common Core was a baseline that would be great, however, it is my understanding that the expectations are much higher. In my school, the standards are expected to be taught using a strict curriculum map and timeline. When teachers have brought up concerns about some students needing more practice or reinforcement, we've been told to stick with the curriculum map, which in effect "leaves some students behind". The very thing this Common Core claimed it was not suppose to do.
    Stick with the curriculum map and sequence, but also use interventions for those kids who aren't meeting their goals. Through RTI, we are required to give 30-60 minutes of literacy and math interventions to those kids who have been tagged as needing extra help in those areas. We have to document exactly what we're doing with them, when we're doing it, how long and if it worked after so many weeks. This is also the new way of referring students for testing for learning disabilities. They have to go through the "tiers" with interventions before a teacher can refer a child for testing. This I really do like. As a reading specialist, I was trained to work specifically with small groups and individuals who are behind in literacy so the implementation of RTI was very smooth and normal for me. I was already doing it.

    Yes, we have to keep going with whole class curriculum, but those kids who need help aren't supposed to be left behind because they're supposed to be getting rigorous scaffolding support (was that redundant? ) every single day.


  4. #134
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    If you're interested in the criticisms of Common Core, this is a good place to start:



    There are several parts to this series. Ya know, if you're not doing anything on a Saturday night.


  5. #135
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Stick with the curriculum map and sequence, but also use interventions for those kids who aren't meeting their goals. Through RTI, we are required to give 30-60 minutes of literacy and math interventions to those kids who have been tagged as needing extra help in those areas. We have to document exactly what we're doing with them, when we're doing it, how long and if it worked after so many weeks. This is also the new way of referring students for testing for learning disabilities. They have to go through the "tiers" with interventions before a teacher can refer a child for testing. This I really do like. As a reading specialist, I was trained to work specifically with small groups and individuals who are behind in literacy so the implementation of RTI was very smooth and normal for me. I was already doing it.

    Yes, we have to keep going with whole class curriculum, but those kids who need help aren't supposed to be left behind because they're supposed to be getting rigorous scaffolding support (was that redundant? ) every single day.
    Yes, we do use the RTI model in my school and I love it, although it does not address the fact that a child being seen for delays in reading skills will not be at the same level as someone who is reading several venues and critiquing them in written form. Yes, I have students with varying skills in my class and they all will be assessed and expected to do it in 4 months.

  6. #136
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    If you're interested in the criticisms of Common Core, this is a good place to start:



    There are several parts to this series. Ya know, if you're not doing anything on a Saturday night.
    I have to admit, that video really changed my mind!!

    But it didn't change my mind from being in support of CC to being opposed to it. I never supported CC and have these sorts of schemes since before CC became a policy.

    But it sure changed my mind about why I thought you oppposed it. Up until now, I thought you opposed CC because it would take time away from you to teach to the children, and come up with new ideas for teaching. But after watching that video, which misportrays CC as a federal plot to seize power from the states, led by progressive radicals like Bill Ayers ("Yes! THAT Bill Ayers" they actually say that in this rant) and says nothing about how CC will affect students, I realize that your objections, like the videos lunatic ravings, have nothing to do with the students best interests.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #137
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I have to admit, that video really changed my mind!!

    But it didn't change my mind from being in support of CC to being opposed to it. I never supported CC and have these sorts of schemes since before CC became a policy.

    But it sure changed my mind about why I thought you oppposed it. Up until now, I thought you opposed CC because it would take time away from you to teach to the children, and come up with new ideas for teaching. But after watching that video, which misportrays CC as a federal plot to seize power from the states, led by progressive radicals like Bill Ayers ("Yes! THAT Bill Ayers" they actually say that in this rant) and says nothing about how CC will affect students, I realize that your objections, like the videos lunatic ravings, have nothing to do with the students best interests.
    Good effort, sangha. I hadn't even watched that video series until tonight. I don't need a youtube video to make a decision on a something that I've been living with every school day for the past 2 years. I have stated the reasons that I dislike Common Core and I will continue to do so. I posted the video to give everyone a background into the Stop Common Core movement and some of the history behind Common Core and it's origins. Since you're scoffing at it, perhaps you'd like to give the opposing viewpoint and tell us exactly what is incorrect in the video series and why CCSS is what's best for our students.


  8. #138
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,924

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Good effort, sangha. I hadn't even watched that video series until tonight. I don't need a youtube video to make a decision on a something that I've been living with every school day for the past 2 years. I have stated the reasons that I dislike Common Core and I will continue to do so. I posted the video to give everyone a background into the Stop Common Core movement and some of the history behind Common Core and it's origins. Since you're scoffing at it, perhaps you'd like to give the opposing viewpoint and tell us exactly what is incorrect in the video series and why CCSS is what's best for our students.
    Do you agree with the assertion that the common core will narrow the curriculum and prepare our children to be cogs in a national industrial system rather than full citizens in a free republic? (Paraphrase but key terms are there starting at 1:17)

    Or that common core will lead the economy away from free enterprise to a managed economy?

    I'm on my phone so this is really difficult. I'll start with those two questions.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  9. #139
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Do you agree with the assertion that the common core will narrow the curriculum and prepare our children to be cogs in a national industrial system rather than full citizens in a free republic? (Paraphrase but key terms are there starting at 1:17)

    Or that common core will lead the economy away from free enterprise to a managed economy?

    I'm on my phone so this is really difficult. I'll start with those two questions.
    I do agree that it narrows the curriculum. Common Core writers have stated just that. I don't know about the rest. She lost me in that last video. All I know is that I despise the removal of creativity and the emphasis on test scores, data points and graphs. I despise that I have to do TONS of paperwork when 90% of it is just a waste of time. I despise the fact that I'm being turned into a robotic tester and paper-keeper instead of what I signed up for.


  10. #140
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,924

    Re: Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    I do agree that it narrows the curriculum. Common Core writers have stated just that. I don't know about the rest. She lost me in that last video. All I know is that I despise the removal of creativity and the emphasis on test scores, data points and graphs. I despise that I have to do TONS of paperwork when 90% of it is just a waste of time. I despise the fact that I'm being turned into a robotic tester and paper-keeper instead of what I signed up for.
    Then why not say that rather than posting that video? It derails from the point you just made so eloquently and with great passion. I had to stop watching at 2:37 so could ask those questions. That's a rather fringe opinion she is putting over as fact. It may narrow the curriculum, but not for the purpose of stripping our children of full citizenship in a free society.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

Page 14 of 69 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •