Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Fla. teacher suspended for forcing 4th-grader to participate in Pledge of Allegiance

  1. #11
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Fla. teacher suspended for forcing 4th-grader to participate in Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Funny, I got suspended for not standing for the Texas pledge in high school. Maybe I should've told them I was a jehovah's witness.
    Yeah... you should have sued. They violated your 1st and 14th amendment rights.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #12
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,563

    Re: Fla. teacher suspended for forcing 4th-grader to participate in Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yeah... you should have sued. They violated your 1st and 14th amendment rights.
    That's what I said, but apparently there's a law about it and everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Fla. teacher suspended for forcing 4th-grader to participate in Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    That's what I said, but apparently there's a law about it and everything.
    What state/year? I'm pretty sure this matter was settled in a few different court cases during the 80s. Nvm. It was the 1940s. West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette. you have the right not to speak as much as you have the right to speak.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #14
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,563

    Re: Fla. teacher suspended for forcing 4th-grader to participate in Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    What state/year? I'm pretty sure this matter was settled in a few different court cases during the 80s. Nvm. It was the 1940s. West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette. you have the right not to speak as much as you have the right to speak.
    2003, Texas. They said I didn't have to speak, but I was required by law to stand. I was actually sitting down for a few people who didn't have the courage to do it themselves. They were from out of state, and it's ridiculous to make people pledge allegiance to a state.

    Funnily enough, while I was suspended a whole lot of people sat down in protest during the pledge, but so many people did it they couldn't suspend everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #15
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,171
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Fla. teacher suspended for forcing 4th-grader to participate in Pledge of Allegia

    German Guy can probably back me up on this, but I find the Pledge to be a little unnerving.

    I wouldn't want to be forced to say it.

  6. #16
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,125
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Fla. teacher suspended for forcing 4th-grader to participate in Pledge of Allegia

    The solution was really quite simple.... The teacher should have contacted the parents before forcing the girl to take part in the pledge, to see if they had any objections to their kid reciting the pledge or not. If not, then the teacher could have taken that stance.

  7. #17
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,742

    Re: Fla. teacher suspended for forcing 4th-grader to participate in Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    German Guy can probably back me up on this, but I find the Pledge to be a little unnerving.

    I wouldn't want to be forced to say it.
    It is weird how a lot of people calling themselves libertarian think that a mandatory daily oath of allegiance to the government is appropriate for small children. Glad to see some of you guys are consistent!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Fla. teacher suspended for forcing 4th-grader to participate in Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It is weird how a lot of people calling themselves libertarian think that a mandatory daily oath of allegiance to the government is appropriate for small children. Glad to see some of you guys are consistent!
    Won't see this libertarian supporting it. When I think of this jingoistic indoctrination bullspit, I throw up in my mouth a little bit and liken it to about 80 years ago in Germany.

    You may as well train kids to raise an outstretched hand, palm down, and say "Sieg Heil".

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Fla. teacher suspended for forcing 4th-grader to participate in Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Won't see this libertarian supporting it. When I think of this jingoistic indoctrination bullspit, I throw up in my mouth a little bit and liken it to about 80 years ago in Germany.

    You may as well train kids to raise an outstretched hand, palm down, and say "Sieg Heil".
    They didn't say Sieg Heil, but the same salute was commonly used prior to WWII.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Fla. teacher suspended for forcing 4th-grader to participate in Pledge of Allegia

    The teacher should be fired, she is too ignorant*, arrogant and bigoted to be a teacher.

    Forcing children to recite words that they don't fully understand is stupid and unconstitutional.

    *Teachers should know about the Jehovah Witnesses' objection to the pledge, it was the subject of significant court cases and it is relevant to their work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •