Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 204

Thread: Head of the Pakistani Taliban Killed by US Drone Strike

  1. #1
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Head of the Pakistani Taliban Killed by US Drone Strike

    The leader of the Pakistani Taliban, Hakimullah Mehsud, has been killed in a US drone strike sources are confirming to the BBC.

    BBC News - Hakimullah Mehsud killed by drone, Pakistan Taliban say

    While his killing is being given a mixed reception in a Pakistani media loathe to cast accolades onto the United States, it is never the less being viewed with quiet optimism. Efforts to forge a political understanding with the Taliban have been fruitless with Mehsud being a consistent opponent of the government and unwilling to scale back large scale terror attacks. Splinter commanders like Khan Said Sajna are being touted as possible successors who will be more willing to engage with Islamabad. It is unclear how Washington and the Pentagon would view this development but with involvement being scaled back in Afghanistan the US approach may have changed. Or not.

    Either way this strike reaffirms the overwhelming utility of drones as a means for maintaining an aggressive and persistent campaign against the al-Qaeda, the Taliban, and its Islamist affiliates with great precision. In conjunction with the dramatically revised numbers coming out of Pakistan on civilian death tolls (which are in line with major studies and tallies conducted by RAND, LWJ, NAF, etc) will likely do much to neuter the effect of the recent HRW and UN reports. Indeed the revised numbers had already done much to do so.

  2. #2
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,805

    Re: Head of the Pakistani Taliban Killed by US Drone Strike

    Buh-Bye, Mr Taliban Man.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Head of the Pakistani Taliban Killed by US Drone Strike

    One dead, 50 new fighters born. Great job.

  4. #4
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Head of the Pakistani Taliban Killed by US Drone Strike

    but some seditionists still cheer against the USA unless it is their President doing the droning..
    oops, forgot, he didn't kill many bad guys .
    Physics is Phun

  5. #5
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Head of the Pakistani Taliban Killed by US Drone Strike

    That Obama dude is one terrorist killin' summabeotch!

    Nice shot!!!

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  6. #6
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: Head of the Pakistani Taliban Killed by US Drone Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    One dead, 50 new fighters born. Great job.
    That sounds like what liberals said about Iraq. But that was different.....yeah, totally different....


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Head of the Pakistani Taliban Killed by US Drone Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    That sounds like what liberals said about Iraq. But that was different.....yeah, totally different....
    Your point? I have expressed my lack of support for the Iraq and Afghan wars plenty on here.

  8. #8
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Head of the Pakistani Taliban Killed by US Drone Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    That sounds like what liberals said about Iraq. But that was different.....yeah, totally different....
    My sentiments exactly. Maybe that guy wants to send them Christmas cards and boxes of chocolates instead.

    That was so off the hook I didn't even bother responding to it.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #9
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Head of the Pakistani Taliban Killed by US Drone Strike

    And now we're getting close to wrapping up the destruction of the chemical weapons dumps, two of which are too dangerous to inspect..
    Don't here much from the two-faced RepuLieLoons on this..

    Gotta love the Israelis for spanking a little Putin/Assad ass yesterday..
    I'm glad they're on my side..

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    That Obama dude is one terrorist killin' summabeotch!Nice shot!!!
    The only reason the world knows what we're doing is because our friends in the BBC front us off..
    They wouldn't dare piss off the Israelis .
    Physics is Phun

  10. #10
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Head of the Pakistani Taliban Killed by US Drone Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    One dead, 50 new fighters born. Great job.
    There is zero evidence of this, and much evidence to the contrary. Here is the most comprehensive study ever conducted on the impact of drone strike: http://patrickjohnston.info/materials/drones.pdf

    This trope has become pervasive over the last decade, but it rarely has any evidence in fact and shows no understanding for the demographics of militant groups, their recruitment pools, or the situation they are involved in. A detailed study by the RAND corporation between 2004-2010 found that there was a negative correlation between drone strikes and militant recruitment. In other words there is no evidence at all that drone strikes or the lack thereof had an impact on recruitment and that other factors as is usual contributed to this.

    The RAND study is taken as a superior standard and has wider currency in policy circles because it was based on quantitative research and had a replicatable methodology and concluded that there was a negative or non-existent correlation between drone strikes and recruitment efforts. As opposed to things like the Colombia Report was and is a report, not a study. It consisted of analysis and author insight based on cited accounts, I could cite a hundred of these right back for you.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •