Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 223

Thread: Insurance for the young could be less than $50 a month

  1. #141
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Insurance for the young could be less than $50 a month

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Nope. It's a basic concept in insurance called 'risk pools'. Insurance plans can't work unless you understand it. Some people have health issues, some don't. Risks vary between participants and you pay for the average risk, even if you yourself are 'below average' risk.
    Ok, but that is my choice to participate in that risk pool, is it not? At least it was. So, I ask again, what is the nature of my debt to you? Get your own insurance. Pay for your own maladies. You don't have a claim to my labor.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #142
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Insurance for the young could be less than $50 a month

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It wasn't in every plan
    See, we CAN agree...but now under PPACA it is.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  3. #143
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Insurance for the young could be less than $50 a month

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    See, we CAN agree...but now under PPACA it is.
    Correct

    Now, health plans can't practice a form of discrimination against women which contributed to rising costs
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Insurance for the young could be less than $50 a month

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Nice non sequitur comeback!
    just as sequitur as your previous Sean Hannity comment...

    I assume this means you can't either understand or contest my point.
    If I understood your point, men can't get ovarian CANCER...? Ok, women cannot get testicular CANCER. Both can get lung CANCER...continuing, CANCER is a non-gender specific condition is it not? However pregnancy IS...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  5. #145
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Insurance for the young could be less than $50 a month

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Correct

    Now, health plans can't practice a form of discrimination against women which contributed to rising costs
    So how is it not discriminatory to older WOMEN to have to carry a policy that covers a condition that is beyond their ability to get?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  6. #146
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Insurance for the young could be less than $50 a month

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    just as sequitur as your previous Sean Hannity comment...



    If I understood your point, men can't get ovarian CANCER...? Ok, women cannot get testicular CANCER. Both can get lung CANCER...continuing, CANCER is a non-gender specific condition is it not? However pregnancy IS...
    Analogizing women's bits to men's bit is about as inappropriate as analogizing health insurance to auto insurance. It doesn't really work in reality.

    For one thing, and I could be wrong, but I believe that ovarian cancer is far more common than testicular cancer and more expensive to treat.

    Actually, that was two things (which is probably appropriate seeing as how we're talking about testicles and ovaries)
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #147
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Insurance for the young could be less than $50 a month

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    So how is it not discriminatory to older WOMEN to have to carry a policy that covers a condition that is beyond their ability to get?
    Because it discriminates against the younger women who belong to the same pool.

    You seem to think that the insurers design the coverage for individuals. The truth is they design it for *pools* of individuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #148
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Insurance for the young could be less than $50 a month

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Analogizing women's bits to men's bit is about as inappropriate as analogizing health insurance to auto insurance. It doesn't really work in reality.

    For one thing, and I could be wrong, but I believe that ovarian cancer is far more common than testicular cancer and more expensive to treat.

    Actually, that was two things (which is probably appropriate seeing as how we're talking about testicles and ovaries)
    You could have saved a bunch of typing by simply replying...'no, it's not'
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  9. #149
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Insurance for the young could be less than $50 a month

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    because it discriminates against the younger women who belong to the same pool.

    You seem to think that the insurers design the coverage for individuals. the truth is they design it for *pools* of individuals.
    exactly!
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  10. #150
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Insurance for the young could be less than $50 a month

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    exactly!
    Which is why the question "Why do I have to pay to cover conditions I will never have?" is an ignorant question
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •