Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 478

Thread: Fed judge: Texas abortion limits unconstitutional [W:167:202:330]

  1. #41
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Fed judge: Texas abortion limits unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Obviously these "judges" are winger-bagger fringe nut cases that are activist make policy from the bench and this should be ignored as they hate women.

    ;P
    But of course!

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Fed judge: Texas abortion limits unconstitutional

    IMO, the Appeals Court's decision likely will be reversed.

    The Washington Post reported:

    In its 20-page ruling, the appeals court panel acknowledged that the new provision “may increase the cost of accessing an abortion provider and decrease the number of physicians available to perform abortions.” However, the panel said that the U.S. Supreme Court has held that having “the incidental effect of making it more difficult or more expensive to procure an abortion cannot be enough to invalidate” a law that serves a valid purpose, “one not designed to strike at the right itself.”

    Appeals court ruling means one-third of Texas’ abortion clinics can’t perform procedure - The Washington Post

    The issue at hand is that "incidental" refers to a minor impact. If the effect of the law would be the closure of 1/3 of the State's abortion clinics, one is talking about not an incidental but a significant impact. During the brief period during which the law will be in effect, it will become evident whether the impact is incidental or significant. Given the data concerning licensing and possible barriers to obtaining licenses at hospitals within the law's 30 mile requirement, my guess is that odds favor a significant impact. Consequently, the law would go beyond what the Supreme Court has found permissible.

  3. #43
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: Fed judge: Texas abortion limits unconstitutional

    Those dirty rotten tea baggers and their war on wom... wait a minute.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #44
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Fed judge: Texas abortion limits unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Nope. Worthless sack of ****, but not RINO.
    Is there anyone who you do not consider a worthless sack of ****?

  5. #45
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Fed judge: Texas abortion limits unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    IMO, the Appeals Court's decision likely will be reversed.

    The Washington Post reported:

    In its 20-page ruling, the appeals court panel acknowledged that the new provision “may increase the cost of accessing an abortion provider and decrease the number of physicians available to perform abortions.” However, the panel said that the U.S. Supreme Court has held that having “the incidental effect of making it more difficult or more expensive to procure an abortion cannot be enough to invalidate” a law that serves a valid purpose, “one not designed to strike at the right itself.”

    Appeals court ruling means one-third of Texas’ abortion clinics can’t perform procedure - The Washington Post

    The issue at hand is that "incidental" refers to a minor impact. If the effect of the law would be the closure of 1/3 of the State's abortion clinics, one is talking about not an incidental but a significant impact. During the brief period during which the law will be in effect, it will become evident whether the impact is incidental or significant. Given the data concerning licensing and possible barriers to obtaining licenses at hospitals within the law's 30 mile requirement, my guess is that odds favor a significant impact. Consequently, the law would go beyond what the Supreme Court has found permissible.
    Yep, its nonsensical to think otherwise especially since theres no medical/health support for that restrictions.

    In the end I think and im hoping for the people of texas, common sense, accessible healthcare and educated legislation based on medical science will win.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #46
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,934
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Fed judge: Texas abortion limits unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Once more, extremist ideology has been defeated in the courts. This will most likely move up to the Supreme Court, where I expect 2 things will happen.

    1) SCOTUS will uphold the ruling, saying the Texas law places an undue burden on women.

    2) Some here will call Justice Roberts a RINO. Never mind that he will have upheld the Constitution, and left ideology out of his decision.

    Of course, for some of the "smaller government crowd, they really do want big government when it suits their own desires to force their own religious beliefs on others.

    Article is here.
    Wait a minute, didn't I just read that yesterday the 5th court of appeals in new orleans reinstated the texas law of requiring doctors to have admitting privileges at a near by hospital before they can perform the operation. Has another ruling been handed down since yesterday? If so, I have heard nothing on it.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  7. #47
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Fed judge: Texas abortion limits unconstitutional

    Hmm...

    I'm kinda on the fence here...

    On the one hand, there's the decrease in available places to get an abortion.

    But on the other hand, if the law was actually somehow improve safety...

    I suppose the bit about doctors running these abortion places being required to have admitting privileges at a hospital no more than 30 miles away was so they could get a woman there rapidly if something went wrong? OR at least that would be the reason that seems most likely.


    Frankly, if it actually IS a question of safety, I'd be tempted to agree with this recent ruling... You never know with the laws these days though, there always seems to be some ulterior motive...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-12-13 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    433

    Re: Fed judge: Texas abortion limits unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Hmm...

    I'm kinda on the fence here...

    On the one hand, there's the decrease in available places to get an abortion.

    But on the other hand, if the law was actually somehow improve safety...

    I suppose the bit about doctors running these abortion places being required to have admitting privileges at a hospital no more than 30 miles away was so they could get a woman there rapidly if something went wrong? OR at least that would be the reason that seems most likely.


    Frankly, if it actually IS a question of safety, I'd be tempted to agree with this recent ruling... You never know with the laws these days though, there always seems to be some ulterior motive...
    No, it had nothing to do with safety and that's as patently dishonest as all the anti-abortionists themselves. The court found it to be phony. This was more about the obvious disregard for women and that's got a lot to do with the Texas mindset. Texans have demonstrated a level of hateful callousness that makes them immediately suspect of the worst.

  9. #49
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Fed judge: Texas abortion limits unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Hmm...

    I'm kinda on the fence here...

    On the one hand, there's the decrease in available places to get an abortion.

    But on the other hand, if the law was actually somehow improve safety...

    I suppose the bit about doctors running these abortion places being required to have admitting privileges at a hospital no more than 30 miles away was so they could get a woman there rapidly if something went wrong? OR at least that would be the reason that seems most likely.


    Frankly, if it actually IS a question of safety, I'd be tempted to agree with this recent ruling... You never know with the laws these days though, there always seems to be some ulterior motive...
    dont fall for the lies

    safety is the smoke screen its not real its made up, its a complete lie. These clinics are already operating by the standards, rules, protocols and procedures the medical community have in place and many other places that conduct the same rated procedures dont have to have these EXTRA standards made up by legislation and not by safety studies or requirements from the medical community.

    Its blatantly obvious that this is people trying to push there personal morals and restrict abortion only when its written to only effect abortion clinics and not any other healthcare facilities that do similar rated (risk level) procedures.

    Its complete BS and it makes me laugh that people try to use that false guise

    Now having said that if the medical community, the FDA and or medical/science suggested or showed this needed done Id be 100% for it.
    But the fact remains its not.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #50
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    Re: Fed judge: Texas abortion limits unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Wait a minute, didn't I just read that yesterday the 5th court of appeals in new orleans reinstated the texas law of requiring doctors to have admitting privileges at a near by hospital before they can perform the operation. Has another ruling been handed down since yesterday? If so, I have heard nothing on it.
    As I already stated, this will go all the way to SCOTUS, where those provisions will be killed.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •