Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 367

Thread: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

  1. #341
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    The Republicans dont want Americans to "have" to buy insurance that covers healthcare. So simple I dont think I need to supply quotes.
    I think that is twisting the premise on its head. So yeah, I think you do need to explain yourself.

    Look it's real simple....Just show me in the Constitution where the federal government is allowed to force you under threat of taxation, or penalty, to buy a private product.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #342
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I think that is twisting the premise on its head. So yeah, I think you do need to explain yourself.

    Look it's real simple....Just show me in the Constitution where the federal government is allowed to force you under threat of taxation, or penalty, to buy a private product.
    What did the SCOTUS say?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #343
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,887

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    What did the SCOTUS say?
    They said get ready for the "Required Firearm Purchasing Act", brought to you by Remington Arms. Kellog and OreIda said to be gearing up PACs.

  4. #344
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    They said get ready for the "Required Firearm Purchasing Act", brought to you by Remington Arms. Kellog and OreIda said to be gearing up PACs.
    Good luck with that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #345
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,887

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Good luck with that.
    And why not? Everything falls under the general welfare clause, right? I'm sure HHS regulations around preventative care will eventually include gym memberships and healthy food purchases.

  6. #346
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    And why not? Everything falls under the general welfare clause, right? I'm sure HHS regulations around preventative care will eventually include gym memberships and healthy food purchases.
    Like I said, good luck.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #347
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Where in the world do you come up with that conclusion? I think there may be a comprehension problem going on here...

    Please provide the quotes that bring you to that conclusion, along with an explanation as to your thinking process that brings you to that conclusion.
    The fact that they presented no viable alternative for the 50 million who already didn't have insurance?

  8. #348
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    What did the SCOTUS say?
    SCOTUS doesn't, or should I say, isn't supposed to be legislating from the bench....

    "One of the most obvious problems with the majority opinion in the Obamacare ruling is that the court determined it could rule on the objection to the law’s individual mandate because the result of a citizen’s non-compliance was a penalty, not a tax. (If it were a tax, the Court could not hear the case until the tax had actually been levied on someone.)

    But then, with a perversion of reason and justice that one normally expects from liberals rather than a supposedly conservative attorney and jurist, John Roberts rewrote the legislation to say that the mandate’s penalty could have been constitutional if it been passed as a tax, so the Court will deem it a tax and uphold it.

    snip

    By giving itself the power to tax, the Supreme Court, with the collaboration of turncoat John Roberts, has created a grave danger for the future of our nation: “We must remember that the power to tax is the power to seize property — the very same property that the government exists to protect… Government expansion isn’t free. The people pay first in taxes and then in liberty.”

    Beyond the destructive pretzel logic involved in upholding the clearly unconstitutional individual mandate, the terrible judgment behind the Court’s decision to save Obamacare’s provision on the expansion of Medicare — again by rewriting it. He describes, continuing in remarkably plain English, how the Chief Justice compounded his many errors by saying that the law is severable, namely that it remains in force despite the fact that the Court’s changes will likely cause very different operation of the law from that intended by the law’s already misguided authors and supporters."

    The American Spectator : Why John Roberts Was Wrong

    SCOTUS is overstepping its bounds here, and you know it.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #349
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    SCOTUS doesn't, or should I say, isn't supposed to be legislating from the bench....

    "One of the most obvious problems with the majority opinion in the Obamacare ruling is that the court determined it could rule on the objection to the law’s individual mandate because the result of a citizen’s non-compliance was a penalty, not a tax. (If it were a tax, the Court could not hear the case until the tax had actually been levied on someone.)

    But then, with a perversion of reason and justice that one normally expects from liberals rather than a supposedly conservative attorney and jurist, John Roberts rewrote the legislation to say that the mandate’s penalty could have been constitutional if it been passed as a tax, so the Court will deem it a tax and uphold it.

    snip

    By giving itself the power to tax, the Supreme Court, with the collaboration of turncoat John Roberts, has created a grave danger for the future of our nation: “We must remember that the power to tax is the power to seize property — the very same property that the government exists to protect… Government expansion isn’t free. The people pay first in taxes and then in liberty.”

    Beyond the destructive pretzel logic involved in upholding the clearly unconstitutional individual mandate, the terrible judgment behind the Court’s decision to save Obamacare’s provision on the expansion of Medicare — again by rewriting it. He describes, continuing in remarkably plain English, how the Chief Justice compounded his many errors by saying that the law is severable, namely that it remains in force despite the fact that the Court’s changes will likely cause very different operation of the law from that intended by the law’s already misguided authors and supporters."

    The American Spectator : Why John Roberts Was Wrong

    SCOTUS is overstepping its bounds here, and you know it.
    It's not legislating (there's one of those sources again. The American Spectator). They ruled on law. Everyone who loses throws out legislating from the bench instead of simply realizing you made a poor argument and lost. Go back to the drawing board and make a better argument.

    BTW, saying things like "and you know it" would likely fall under the category of a cheap tactic. I "know" nothing of the kind. It was ruled on, and no matter who likes it or don't like it, it's the law of the land. And it is hubris to believe that you know more about constitutional law than the SCOTUS. Any idiot can write something on the internet. But in court they ahve to cite law, and argue with a better understanding than we have here. I tried to warn you back when you were so sure of the outcome that you just might have it wrong. The American thinker might have it wrong. The American Spectator might have it wrong. As might Rush, or Beck or any number of non-scholars. It happens.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #350
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's not legislating (there's one of those sources again. The American Spectator). They ruled on law. Everyone who loses throws out legislating from the bench instead of simply realizing you made a poor argument and lost. Go back to the drawing board and make a better argument.

    BTW, saying things like "and you know it" would likely fall under the category of a cheap tactic. I "know" nothing of the kind. It was ruled on, and no matter who likes it or don't like it, it's the law of the land. And it is hubris to believe that you know more about constitutional law than the SCOTUS. Any idiot can write something on the internet. But in court they ahve to cite law, and argue with a better understanding than we have here. I tried to warn you back when you were so sure of the outcome that you just might have it wrong. The American thinker might have it wrong. The American Spectator might have it wrong. As might Rush, or Beck or any number of non-scholars. It happens.

    Yeah? So tell me how you get around Roberts changing the law, to make his ruling work? Oh, and btw, attacking the messenger instead of making a logical, intellectual argument for your case is a fallacy, and immediate loss of your point in debate. But you know that.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •