Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 367

Thread: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Harvard is first in a 'rich list' that revealed the colleges where students are most likely to become multi-millionaires.
    The Boston college comes top after producing 2,964 alumni worth $200million or more, and University of Pennsylvania is in second place with 1,502 super-wealthy graduates.


    Read more: Harvard's billionaires: Ivy League college leads the world with richest alumni | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

    Not sure 34 is all that large.
    Not everyone deserves or should go to Harvard. My list proves that degrees are not required to be successful. In my business kids straight out of college are mostly charity cases that become expenses for the first 3 years they are employed. We had a re-org last year and all the college grads with less that 5 years were cut except for one. Now we pretty much only look at experienced workers and degrees have little impact on the people we hire.

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Why would it?
    I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking, Why would college cost a fortune if the government stopped subsidizing it and subsidizing students?

    If that is your question I do have an answer. The in-state tuition rate is not the cost of college. The out-of-state tuition rate is what it really cost to go to college. The state government pays the gap. The cost of college is deflated further because a good portion of the college funding comes from federal, state and local governments. There is also a pretty good bit of money coming in from donors that further deflates the cost of higher education.

    Very few people could afford a college education if it weren't heavily subsidized. With less people going to college the value of a college degree would drastically increase as well.

    When 80% of high school graduates go to college a college degree really doesn't impress anybody. We need to reverse the trend and start discouraging people from going to college. I don't see that happening any time soon and that's very unfair to young people. An 18 year old has no grasp on the realities of the job market. An 18 year old will always believe the optimistic message. It's very sad to see them get f****ed over by these scum bags at the heads of these universities.

    It's not like they are getting conned into buy a fancy pair of shoes. It's not like they are getting conned into buying a new car. They are sometimes getting swindled out of $70,000+ in tuition dues. The worst part is that the government(s) at all levels are co-conspirators in this racketeering operation.

    The national debt shows another example at how past generations never cared about the younger generation. They just want to rape them constantly because it's easy money and young folks have plenty of life left to make more money. Young people are the perfect victim. Young folks are gullible and they have longevity on their side.

    vasuderatorrent
    Last edited by vasuderatorrent; 10-27-13 at 12:34 PM.

  3. #223
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Not everyone deserves or should go to Harvard. My list proves that degrees are not required to be successful. In my business kids straight out of college are mostly charity cases that become expenses for the first 3 years they are employed. We had a re-org last year and all the college grads with less that 5 years were cut except for one. Now we pretty much only look at experienced workers and degrees have little impact on the people we hire.
    I don't suggest everyone does. I do suggest in the competitive market place having education is better than not. And while your personal story may well reflect how you see it, it's not a large enough sample to make a larger case.

    image.jpg

    Published: January 9, 2013

    Young adults have long faced a rough job market, but in the last recession and its aftermath, college graduates did not lose nearly as much ground as their less-educated peers, according to a new study.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/10/ed...turn.html?_r=0

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    show proof that the health insurance industry does NOT KICK PEOPLE OFF their insurance policy when they get very sick and start costing the ins. company too much[/B]. GO.
    Yes, they do kick people off their insurance policy when they get very sick and start costing the insurance company too much. Why wouldn't they?

    Why are you having such a hard time understanding that $4,200 in dues over 1,190 years only yields $4,998,000. 1,190 years is too long to wait for a return on investment. Most people don't pay premiums for 1,190 years. How could an insurance continue to exist if they made completely mathematically absurd decisions?

    I can't comprehend this kind of thinking.

    Businesses should go broke because it's nice. Businesses shouldn't make a profit because it is mean.


    Do people really believe this stupidity? Surely not.

    vasuderatorrent

  5. #225
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 12:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Yes, they do kick people off their insurance policy when they get very sick and start costing the insurance company too much. Why wouldn't they?

    Why are you having such a hard time understanding that $4,200 in dues over 1,190 years only yields $4,998,000. 1,190 years is too long to wait for a return on investment. Most people don't pay premiums for 1,190 years. How could an insurance continue to exist if they made completely mathematically absurd decisions?

    I can't comprehend this kind of thinking.

    Businesses should go broke because it's nice. Businesses shouldn't make a profit because it is mean.


    Do people really believe this stupidity? Surely not.

    vasuderatorrent
    In order for you to assert that the profit of the private health ins. industry is more important to our national health system than the lives of the people that it is supposed to serve, you would have to prove that a private health ins. industry is even NECESSARY. England and Canada have shown that it is not even necessary to have a private health ins. industry.

    Does a health insurance company provide any actual CARE to sick people? No. Why do we need them if they are harmful to the poor and the very sick when it comes to accessing the healthcare that they need, if other countries do the job WITHOUT private health ins. at all, and they do it at 11% of GDP while the US pays 17% of GDP? Answer, we don't need them as part of our national health system. Therefore, their profit motive cannot be deemed superior to saving the lives of the sick that really need healthcare and are only being rescinded because they cost a lot. It is immoral to allow corporate america to let people die like that, and it is a prime example of the inappropriateness of putting private industry in charge of setting the rules via their death panels, on who gets to live and who has to die, based on their profit requirement to Wall St. The military is not for profit, nor should healthcare be for profit. Life and death is a moral issue, not a profit issue.

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't suggest everyone does. I do suggest in the competitive market place having education is better than not. And while your personal story may well reflect how you see it, it's not a large enough sample to make a larger case.

    image.jpg

    Published: January 9, 2013

    Young adults have long faced a rough job market, but in the last recession and its aftermath, college graduates did not lose nearly as much ground as their less-educated peers, according to a new study.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/10/ed...turn.html?_r=0
    thanks for the info, I put very little stock in any info published by the NYT.

  7. #227
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    thanks for the info, I put very little stock in any info published by the NYT.
    Yes, as, I know, facts have a liberal bias. However, the source is the study. And there are many, many studies showing much the same thing. Overall you do better with a degree than without. Having more without has to increase this gap.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #228
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Yes, they do kick people off their insurance policy when they get very sick and start costing the insurance company too much. Why wouldn't they?

    Why are you having such a hard time understanding that $4,200 in dues over 1,190 years only yields $4,998,000. 1,190 years is too long to wait for a return on investment. Most people don't pay premiums for 1,190 years. How could an insurance continue to exist if they made completely mathematically absurd decisions?

    I can't comprehend this kind of thinking.

    Businesses should go broke because it's nice. Businesses shouldn't make a profit because it is mean.


    Do people really believe this stupidity? Surely not.

    vasuderatorrent
    I think the point us that there is a human cost. Not good or bad so much, as a cost that us rather large for many. Because if this, maybe this profession doesn't lend itself to the business model as readily.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    In order for you to assert that the profit of the private health ins. industry is more important to our national health system than the lives of the people that it is supposed to serve, you would have to prove that a private health ins. industry is even NECESSARY. England and Canada have shown that it is not even necessary to have a private health ins. industry.

    Does a health insurance company provide any actual CARE to sick people? No. Why do we need them if they are harmful to the poor and the very sick when it comes to accessing the healthcare that they need, if other countries do the job WITHOUT private health ins. at all, and they do it at 11% of GDP while the US pays 17% of GDP? Answer, we don't need them as part of our national health system. Therefore, their profit motive cannot be deemed superior to saving the lives of the sick that really need healthcare and are only being rescinded because they cost a lot. It is immoral to allow corporate america to let people die like that, and it is a prime example of the inappropriateness of putting private industry in charge of setting the rules via their death panels, on who gets to live and who has to die, based on their profit requirement to Wall St. The military is not for profit, nor should healthcare be for profit. Life and death is a moral issue, not a profit issue.
    Wait! Is your point that Single Payer Insurance is superior to a capitalistic model for health care?

    or

    Is your point that companies should lose money?

    vasuderatorrent

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Florida Blue cutting 300K policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yes, as, I know, facts have a liberal bias. However, the source is the study. And there are many, many studies showing much the same thing. Overall you do better with a degree than without. Having more without has to increase this gap.
    I agree overall, but I do not everybody needs to go. People that go into massive amounts of debt for education should be held accountable for their choices.

    Electricians, plumbers, mechanics, carpenters, and masons are all a big part of our society and all pay as good or better than a business major.

Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •