Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 96

Thread: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

  1. #71
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    The nation that had the most 9/11 terrorists is trying to threaten us? They do realize our government is in love with the idea of an infinity war in the region....Obama will happily bomb them with his drones too.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #72
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    One of the reasons the Sauds are so pissed at us is because we've backed down from our threats to bomb Syria, where Saudi Arabia is funding insurgents to overthrow Assad and remove Iran's ally in the region.

    A move which Republicans opposed. I'm not saying we should have bombed Syria to keep the Saudis happy, far from it, but its impossible keep everyone happy in foreign relations so posting a link about another nation being upset about a decision we made in our own interests is hardly saying a President, any President, is incompetent thats just reality.
    Well if that was the only reason, Id agree with you had Obama not told the world he was going to attack them to begin with. When Obama and Kerry hit the stage saying they were going to attack Syria, other countries expect and plan on that happening. Plus the fact that Obama has promised to arm the rebels before mostly backtracking on that as well. The Saudi's lost credibility with the rebels because every time the wind changed directions, Obama went with it. And all that happened after Obama turn his back on an American and Saudi ally, Mubarak. Plus the situation Obama has placed them in due to his incompetence on Iraq and Iran.

    Nothing has been thought out by this incompetent administration.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    Well if that was the only reason, Id agree with you had Obama not told the world he was going to attack them to begin with. When Obama and Kerry hit the stage saying they were going to attack Syria, other countries expect and plan on that happening. Plus the fact that Obama has promised to arm the rebels before mostly backtracking on that as well. The Saudi's lost credibility with the rebels because every time the wind changed directions, Obama went with it. And all that happened after Obama turn his back on an American and Saudi ally, Mubarak. Plus the situation Obama has placed them in due to his incompetence on Iraq and Iran.

    Nothing has been thought out by this incompetent administration.
    Didn't he mention something about governing from one crisis to another?

  4. #74
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Didn't he mention something about governing from one crisis to another?
    Yes he did.

    But like everything else with him, rules, law, advice...apply to other people.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  5. #75
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Thanks for clarifying your analogy. I get you now and agree for the most part.

    Still, Saddam had to go! Nothing gives a man the right to treat other people the way he did. Even if he did oppress the Shia religious in Iraq. You could venture (if you have such a thick skin) in Youtube and see what he did to his captives.

    As for the decision between the two, perhaps names could help. You have: a) Sunni's, and b) Shiite's
    I dont disagree with you per say, but it is like choosing between being able to kill Hitler in 1932 and avoid the holocaust but then let an even worse moron rise and kill 3 times the amount of people. Not an easy call by any means, and my personal opinion was that it was wrong to remove Saddam as long as you did not have a credible way of dealing with the aftermath.. and dont tell me that the aftermath could not have been predicted.....
    PeteEU

  6. #76
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,505
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The nation that had the most 9/11 terrorists is trying to threaten us? They do realize our government is in love with the idea of an infinity war in the region....Obama will happily bomb them with his drones too.
    Seemed to have been quickly forgotten, didn't it, that it was Saudi Arabians who flew those planes. Al Qaida has spread elsewhere but Saudi Arabia is where it hangs it's hat.
    How did a feudal Islamic absolute monarchy earn any loyalty from the US anyway? Given their emnity to Israel who the US calls their main ally in the region?
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  7. #77
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Seemed to have been quickly forgotten, didn't it, that it was Saudi Arabians who flew those planes. Al Qaida has spread elsewhere but Saudi Arabia is where it hangs it's hat.
    How did a feudal Islamic absolute monarchy earn any loyalty from the US anyway? Given their emnity to Israel who the US calls their main ally in the region?
    They got the oil.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    They got the oil.
    Yeah and? Its not like it couldn't have been taken from them.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yeah and? Its not like it couldn't have been taken from them.
    Apparently not, not efficiently and in manner that serves the aristocracy anyway.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    Well if that was the only reason, Id agree with you had Obama not told the world he was going to attack them to begin with. When Obama and Kerry hit the stage saying they were going to attack Syria, other countries expect and plan on that happening. Plus the fact that Obama has promised to arm the rebels before mostly backtracking on that as well. The Saudi's lost credibility with the rebels because every time the wind changed directions, Obama went with it. And all that happened after Obama turn his back on an American and Saudi ally, Mubarak. Plus the situation Obama has placed them in due to his incompetence on Iraq and Iran.

    Nothing has been thought out by this incompetent administration.
    If Obama had not made that threat to bomb Syria, do you really think they would be willingly turning over their WMDs now?

    At the time it was a dumb move because it put the US in an awkward position of making a promise on the future when we would be certain what the situation would look like then, but something good seems to be coming out of it.

    Also Mubarak is a cripple in a hospital bed now, the man is ancient and his time was done. What good would it have done to try to help a man already at death's door hold onto power for a little longer and refusing to engage the obvious new leadership? Also what exactly do you think Obama could have done to prevent Mubarak from being overthrown, his own Army took him from power, how exactly do you say we could have stopped that?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •