Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 96

Thread: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    I disagree. Good riddance. We should never have supported that autocratic theistic monarchy, but arguably had to keep oil supplies flowing. 9-11, which was mostly the work of Saudis trained in the kingdom's extremist mosques, should have opened our eyes to the bad intent of the Saudis.

    But now, we don't need Saudi oil supplies anymore (or not as much), due to increasing oil and gas production from fracking, so we don't need to cowtow to that backward country's retrograde policies.

    Indeed I suspect the Saudis new anti-American stance in public has more to do with the development of our own oil and gas supplies than disagreements about Syria. The Saudis have consistently threatened the US with oil cut backs every time in the past we tried to increase our reserves or take other actions to avoid the Saudis oil stranglehold.
    Last edited by head of joaquin; 10-23-13 at 01:57 PM.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-12-13 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    433

    re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    More Obama administration incompetence on full display again. I think he is the first American president to find a way to get everybody else in the world mad at us. Most manage just to get a few.
    You've made it clear that your own display is showing that because of your hate for Obama you are condemning him for what is obviously taking the high road with Iran and Syria. He's prevented war so far at least.

    That's what the GOP wanted isn't it or is that what they didn't want or is that what they wanted?

    And not only that, because of your Obama hate you would gleefully be on the side of the Saudis in their blackmail attempts against the US! Do you really think grownups take you seriously?

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    But...Bush!!! Bush ! Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuush!!!!

    Its not ABOUT Bush. Its about THIS president...the guy that has been in power for the last 5 years...and his complete failure in foreign policy, especially w/ regard to Syria.
    Heya VM. Most don't want to admit they just like a lil Bush.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya VM. Most don't want to admit they just like a lil Bush.
    Let's pretend that Bush's failed vanity wars didn't give Iran almost complete control of the region. Let's pretend.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-12-13 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    433

    re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    I disagree. Good riddance. We should never have supported that autocratic theistic monarchy, but arguably had to keep oil supplies flowing. 9-11, which was mostly the work of Saudis trained in the kingdom's extremist mosques, should have opened our eyes to the bad intent of the Saudis.

    But now, we don't need Saudi oil supplies anymore, due to increasing oil and gas production from fracking, so we don't need to cowtow to that backward country's retrograde policies.
    America does need Saudi oil so you're totally wrong. You shouldn't make rash claims on something you don't know anything about. Just the fact that the Saudis are trying blackmail should be enough to make you understand. Look up some numbers that tell you where the US gets it's oil and how much it uses every day.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Saudi Arabia and the U.S. have a relationship purely based on quid pro quo. They provide oil, we provide protection. The Saudi's have overestimated what kind of protection they are entitled too in said relationship. They get gulf war style assistance against overt invasion, not needless attacks on Iran or Syria simply because they are Saudi rivals. The president needs to remind the royal family that they don't have the power to make such demands.
    There has been more to the relationship historically than that. Closely aligned political interests, finely cultivated personal relationships, and a historical relationship that goes back to the Roosevelt administration all play into this.

  7. #27
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya VM. Most don't want to admit they just like a lil Bush.
    Judging by his post, its the Dick thing he is really obsessed about.

    Of course...NONE of that has ANYTHING to do with Saudis reasons...

    Upset at President Barack Obama's policies on Iran and Syria, members of Saudi Arabia's ruling family are threatening a rift with the United States that could take the alliance between Washington and the kingdom to its lowest point in years.

    Saudi Arabia's intelligence chief is vowing that the kingdom will make a 'major shift' in relations with the United States to protest perceived American inaction over Syria's civil war as well as recent U.S. overtures to Iran, a source close to Saudi policy said on Tuesday.

    Prince Bandar bin Sultan told European diplomats that the United States had failed to act effectively against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, was growing closer to Tehran, and had failed to back Saudi support for Bahrain when it crushed an anti-government revolt in 2011, the source said.

    n unusually blunt public remarks, Prince Turki al-Faisal called Obama's policies in Syria 'lamentable' and ridiculed a U.S.-Russian deal to eliminate Assad's chemical weapons. He suggested it was a ruse to let Obama avoid military action in Syria.

    'The current charade of international control over Bashar's chemical arsenal would be funny if it were not so blatantly perfidious. And designed not only to give Mr. Obama an opportunity to back down (from military strikes), but also to help Assad to butcher his people,'

    Obama is embarrassingly bad at the whole foreign policy gig and it shows. Everyone in the world knows it. Well...ALMOST everyone...

  8. #28
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    I disagree. Good riddance. We should never have supported that autocratic theistic monarchy, but arguably had to keep oil supplies flowing. 9-11, which was mostly the work of Saudis trained in the kingdom's extremist mosques, should have opened our eyes to the bad intent of the Saudis.

    But now, we don't need Saudi oil supplies anymore (or not as much), due to increasing oil and gas production from fracking, so we don't need to cowtow to that backward country's retrograde policies.

    Indeed I suspect the Saudis new anti-American stance in public has more to do with the development of our own oil and gas supplies than disagreements about Syria. The Saudis have consistently threatened the US with oil cut backs every time in the past we tried to increase our reserves or take other actions to avoid the Saudis oil stranglehold.
    I don't think it has anything to do with the bolded portion. Quite to the contrary Saudi Arabia has kept record output for much of the past decade despite the increasing Western emphasis on alternative fuels, natural gas development, and the like.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    It's also worth noting that neither Bandar nor Turki are in the cockpit so to speak when it comes to accessing the reigns of power in the Kingdom. Bandar was brought back on board after a long hiatus following his dismissal as Ambassador to the United States and was only brought out of enforced political seclusion because of his reputation and status as the Kingdom's 'heavy hitter' in international diplomacy. The same to a lesser degree can probably be said for Turki.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-12-13 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    433

    re: Saudi Arabia warns U.S. that policy on Syria, Iran straining decades-old [W:70]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Judging by his post, its the Dick thing he is really obsessed about.

    Of course...NONE of that has ANYTHING to do with Saudis reasons...

    Upset at President Barack Obama's policies on Iran and Syria, members of Saudi Arabia's ruling family are threatening a rift with the United States that could take the alliance between Washington and the kingdom to its lowest point in years.

    Saudi Arabia's intelligence chief is vowing that the kingdom will make a 'major shift' in relations with the United States to protest perceived American inaction over Syria's civil war as well as recent U.S. overtures to Iran, a source close to Saudi policy said on Tuesday.

    Prince Bandar bin Sultan told European diplomats that the United States had failed to act effectively against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, was growing closer to Tehran, and had failed to back Saudi support for Bahrain when it crushed an anti-government revolt in 2011, the source said.

    n unusually blunt public remarks, Prince Turki al-Faisal called Obama's policies in Syria 'lamentable' and ridiculed a U.S.-Russian deal to eliminate Assad's chemical weapons. He suggested it was a ruse to let Obama avoid military action in Syria.

    'The current charade of international control over Bashar's chemical arsenal would be funny if it were not so blatantly perfidious. And designed not only to give Mr. Obama an opportunity to back down (from military strikes), but also to help Assad to butcher his people,'

    Obama is embarrassingly bad at the whole foreign policy gig and it shows. Everyone in the world knows it. Well...ALMOST everyone...
    Don't fool yourself just for the sake of opposing Obama. The real fact is, the world is applauding Obama for his part in the agreement with Syria to destroy chemical weapons. ALMOST everyone...

    And now, isn't it sad that hate for Obama is on display as opposing Obama standing up to the Saudis and their blackmail attempts. It just can't get any more obvious than that!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •