Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 450

Thread: 'Delay’ suddenly not a dirty word at White House

  1. #61
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: 'Delay’ suddenly not a dirty word at White House

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    When you're only charging seniors $104 a month for their Medicare Part B and Part A is free, what would you expect? Of course there's a shortfall. And that shortfall should be taken up by the general fund, in my opinion...which -- it probably is. It would be interesting to know how that shortfall compares with the subsidies the government is going to hand out for Obamacare, wouldn't it?
    Again, this goes to your belief it's the governments job to forcibly take money from a group of people, and give it to another because you think it's for a good cause. If I took money from you and gave it to my sister cause she needed something, you'd call the cops.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #62
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: 'Delay’ suddenly not a dirty word at White House

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Again, this goes to your belief it's the governments job to forcibly take money from a group of people, and give it to another because you think it's for a good cause. If I took money from you and gave it to my sister cause she needed something, you'd call the cops.
    It is my belief that a society as great as the USA should have adequate healthcare for all of its citizens. That having a heart attack or cancer shouldn't result in some hard-working family going bankrupt and losing everything they have. I don't apologize for that one little bit.

    That, in my opinion, is what government is best at -- protecting its citizens. Using the great resources of this country to uplift its citizens into a decent and secure life. And that means taking some extra from all the rest of us to make that happen.

    We have safety nets for people who lose their jobs . . . we have safety nets for the disabled . . . we have safety nets for the mentally handicapped . . . we have safety nets for children . . . having a safety net for people who get sick so they can get the care they desperately need? Just stands to reason. I'm all for it.

    Am I happy about abuse of "the system?" No. It makes me sick. But because people have found ways to work the system -- or because government itself allows it to happen -- doesn't mean it's not a good thing overall.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: 'Delay’ suddenly not a dirty word at White House

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It is my belief that a society as great as the USA should have adequate healthcare for all of its citizens.
    We do have adequate healthcare.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    That having a heart attack or cancer shouldn't result in some hard-working family going bankrupt and losing everything they have. I don't apologize for that one little bit.
    Of course you don't, guilt causes people to do things that aren't always the right thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    That, in my opinion, is what government is best at -- protecting its citizens. Using the great resources of this country to uplift its citizens into a decent and secure life. And that means taking some extra from all the rest of us to make that happen.
    If you believe we are free individuals, then you wouldn't think that, you see each of us as a resource to be managed, I find that highly offensive to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    We have safety nets for people who lose their jobs . . . we have safety nets for the disabled . . . we have safety nets for the mentally handicapped . . . we have safety nets for children . . . having a safety net for people who get sick so they can get the care they desperately need? Just stands to reason. I'm all for it.
    Do we have safety nets because it's the right thing to do, most effective way to handle business or because it's politically beneficial for unscrupulous politicians to use as leverage to buy votes?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Am I happy about abuse of "the system?" No. It makes me sick. But because people have found ways to work the system -- or because government itself allows it to happen -- doesn't mean it's not a good thing overall.
    The real people working the system are the politicians that think they know what's best for us, and oh by the way ensures that large segments of the population will keep voting for them to ensure they are taken care of.

    The real answer is Health Savings accounts, catastrophic "INSURANCE" and handling things on the state/local level as much as possible. However that means some people will decide to forgo taking care of themselves, make bad choices then guilty feeling people like yourself will vote for the "Politician who will make sure NO ONE goes without..."

    It's a vicious cycle that starts with irresponsible people, and ends with guilty fools thinking that somehow it's wrong people fail at life and can be fixed by "XXX government program".
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #64
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: 'Delay’ suddenly not a dirty word at White House

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    If you believe we are free individuals, then you wouldn't think that, you see each of us as a resource to be managed, I find that highly offensive to be honest.
    No offense, but I think you should save your "highly offensive" mode for something more offensive-worthy.

    Do we have safety nets because it's the right thing to do, most effective way to handle business or because it's politically beneficial for unscrupulous politicians to use as leverage to buy votes?
    If it weren't political, every politician in Washington and every politician at the state level would demand that fraud be investigated and minimized. But because I can't get THAT done doesn't translate to the programs aren't worthwhile.

    The real answer is Health Savings accounts, catastrophic "INSURANCE" and handling things on the state/local level as much as possible. However that means some people will decide to forgo taking care of themselves, make bad choices then guilty feeling people like yourself will vote for the "Politician who will make sure NO ONE goes without..."
    The "real answer" has always been mandated coverage. HSA's are great. If you can afford them. But as long as insurance companies wouldn't insure pre-existing conditions? (Pre-Obamacare) Hard-working well-intentioned people were left out of the mix.

    It's a vicious cycle that starts with irresponsible people, and ends with guilty fools thinking that somehow it's wrong people fail at life and can be fixed by "XXX government program".
    I neither feel guilty nor am I a fool. I lived it.

    An entrepreneur all my life, I have struggled with health insurance from time in memorial. Turned down for insurance because I'd had a bladder infection five years prior...really? Breast cancer excluded for two years because I'd had a benign cyst removed. Underwriters were ruthless. Ruthless.

    When I finally entered Illinois' ICHIP program, I was paying $850 a month for my American Family insurance policy for a $5,200 deductible. Since I had health issues, that meant my insurance, bottom line, cost me $850 x 12 + $5,200 = $15,400 a year. Know anyone who can afford that? Well, I had to . . . because I had assets to protect. And when I changed to ICHIP? I had to KEEP that American Family policy for six months because I HAD a pre-existing condition. Total cost of my health insurance that one year? $12,900. Know anyone who can afford that? For one person?

    I don't feel guilty. You help me with mine? I'll help you with yours. That's what insurance is all about.

  5. #65
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: 'Delay’ suddenly not a dirty word at White House

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    He/they agreed hearing all ideas, he didn't commit to taking inane ones seriously.
    Then the offer was never serious. Whether you think the ideas are inane, or not is irrelevant...You don't start with 'it's my way', then offer to listen to suggestions, to expect only ideas that you agree with, that is called a non starter.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #66
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: 'Delay’ suddenly not a dirty word at White House

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Then the offer was never serious. Whether you think the ideas are inane, or not is irrelevant...You don't start with 'it's my way', then offer to listen to suggestions, to expect only ideas that you agree with, that is called a non starter.
    I've never seen Obama throw out an "it's my way" without consideration until the government shutdown. Wish he had, but alas, he's such a disappointment in how fairly he listens to inanity, as well as accepting some of it, as evidenced by the garbage and complications in ACA.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  7. #67
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: 'Delay’ suddenly not a dirty word at White House

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I've never seen Obama throw out an "it's my way" without consideration until the government shutdown. Wish he had, but alas, he's such a disappointment in how fairly he listens to inanity, as well as accepting some of it, as evidenced by the garbage and complications in ACA.
    What the....? Now the problems with the ACA are because of repubs? Oh my....that is funny.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #68
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: 'Delay’ suddenly not a dirty word at White House

    Maggie, where does it stop? Healthcare, food, utilities, housing... why should I or you pay for another person for life? Cause that's what this is. Has not the abject failure of such been enough for oyu o realize it's great till it runs outta money? 17 TRILLION in debt says we're long past "outta money".
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #69
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: 'Delay’ suddenly not a dirty word at White House

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What the....? Now the problems with the ACA are because of repubs? Oh my....that is funny.
    Democrats wanted single payer, all this insurance companies as the middle men, as well as the mandate, are Republican from their inception back when suggested during Clinton's day and clearly evidenced in Romneycare which is what ACA ended up fashioned after. Not at all what Democrats wanted but compromised to.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  10. #70
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,696

    Re: 'Delay’ suddenly not a dirty word at White House

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I don't know, but he should've done that. If delaying mandate for one group, do all groups, OR better yet, only delay for the group that is most hurting (if you're a democrat) and that doesn't seem to be these huge corporations, it'd be individuals.

    He really, really screwed that up every possible way, and those Repubs couldn't care less about the those little individuals, but he left himself open for this attack. Open 'em, let be voluntary the first year, let kinks get worked out, and then... I could see that for being sensible, given the complications that the Repubs and insurance companies and Obama forced onto what should be uncomplicated and no need for any huge IT programs at all.

    Well, the problem is that the program can't work as a voluntary system as only the high risk people would apply and the insurers would go broke. He should have postponed the entire roll out for a year given the high risk of failure.

    I do care about people getting hurt, all the people. In the rush to get a merit badge for Health Industry Overhaul Obama and the Democrats have pushed a load of crap that required a perfect roll out to be viable, then ignored all warning signs that the roll out would be far less than perfect, and tore the country apart in the process.

    Sure is a shame that Obama had to learn the hard way why this kind of program is better left to the discretion of the states.

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •