Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 328

Thread: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups [W:165]

  1. #81
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,542

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    The greater, or more sophisticated application of violence is more frequently the source of an end to conflict than any other measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Seems to justify using nuclear weapons.
    Been far too long since we've "tested" a good nuke on some actual humans hasn't it?

    Lets try some out.
    right?

  2. #82
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    right?
    A straw man. I'm not advocating testing weapons, or eviscerating humans for the sake of doing so. That would be despicable. What I'm saying is the self-evident point that the application of violence very frequently is the cause for the end of conflict. We could rattle off a litany of examples from the past half century most of which have not seen a recurrence of conflict. Hence my point.

  3. #83
    Educator
    rjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,139

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    After we kill the last terrorist we can think about stopping drone attacks.
    That will never happen. When you kill someone's father, brother, sister, child, friend accidently. The survivors do not care that it was an accident. Suddenly all that bull**** they used to hear from local extremist groups, starts to make sense. They too, now want to strike at the Americans.

    Drone strikes are the greatest terrorist recruiting aid there is.

    It is time for saner heads to prevail. The problem in America is that saner heads are 'Soft on Terror'. American foreign policy has never been one filled with foresight. Foresight doesn't win elections.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruitflies like a banana. - Groucho

  4. #84
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    After we kill the last terrorist we can think about stopping drone attacks.
    Terrorize the innocent civilians until the terrorists are all killed. Excellent. Police should do random home inspections until all criminals are locked up.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by rjay View Post
    That will never happen. When you kill someone's father, brother, sister, child, friend accidently. The survivors do not care that it was an accident. Suddenly all that bull**** they used to hear from local extremist groups, starts to make sense. They too, now want to strike at the Americans.

    Drone strikes are the greatest terrorist recruiting aid there is.

    It is time for saner heads to prevail. The problem in America is that saner heads are 'Soft on Terror'. American foreign policy has never been one filled with foresight. Foresight doesn't win elections.
    Utterly false. Numerous actual studies (studies not reports) have been fairly definitive on this question.

  6. #86
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Utterly false. Numerous actual studies (studies not reports) have been fairly definitive on this question.
    Please share. I have not seen them.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Please share. I have not seen them.
    I posted an enormous post on the page before this to several of them. Here is the most comprehensive study ever conducted on the impact of drone strike: http://patrickjohnston.info/materials/drones.pdf

    This trope has become pervasive over the last decade, but it rarely has any evidence in fact and shows no understanding for the demographics of militant groups, their recruitment pools, or the situation they are involved in. A detailed study by the RAND corporation between 2004-2010 found that there was a negative correlation between drone strikes and militant recruitment. In other words there is no evidence at all that drone strikes or the lack thereof had an impact on recruitment and that other factors as is usual contributed to this.

    The RAND study is taken as a superior standard and has wider currency in policy circles because it was based on quantitative research and had a replicatable methodology and concluded that there was a negative or non-existent correlation between drone strikes and recruitment efforts. As opposed to things like the Colombia Report was and is a report, not a study. It consisted of analysis and author insight based on cited accounts, I could cite a hundred of these right back for you.

  8. #88
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I posted an enormous post on the page before this to several of them. Here is the most comprehensive study ever conducted on the impact of drone strike: http://patrickjohnston.info/materials/drones.pdf

    This trope has become pervasive over the last decade, but it rarely has any evidence in fact and shows no understanding for the demographics of militant groups, their recruitment pools, or the situation they are involved in. A detailed study by the RAND corporation between 2004-2010 found that there was a negative correlation between drone strikes and militant recruitment. In other words there is no evidence at all that drone strikes or the lack thereof had an impact on recruitment and that other factors as is usual contributed to this.

    The RAND study is taken as a superior standard and has wider currency in policy circles because it was based on quantitative research and had a replicatable methodology and concluded that there was a negative or non-existent correlation between drone strikes and recruitment efforts. As opposed to things like the Colombia Report was and is a report, not a study. It consisted of analysis and author insight based on cited accounts, I could cite a hundred of these right back for you.
    I did not read the other page, but thanks for the link.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  9. #89
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I posted an enormous post on the page before this to several of them. Here is the most comprehensive study ever conducted on the impact of drone strike: http://patrickjohnston.info/materials/drones.pdf

    This trope has become pervasive over the last decade, but it rarely has any evidence in fact and shows no understanding for the demographics of militant groups, their recruitment pools, or the situation they are involved in. A detailed study by the RAND corporation between 2004-2010 found that there was a negative correlation between drone strikes and militant recruitment. In other words there is no evidence at all that drone strikes or the lack thereof had an impact on recruitment and that other factors as is usual contributed to this.

    The RAND study is taken as a superior standard and has wider currency in policy circles because it was based on quantitative research and had a replicatable methodology and concluded that there was a negative or non-existent correlation between drone strikes and recruitment efforts. As opposed to things like the Colombia Report was and is a report, not a study. It consisted of analysis and author insight based on cited accounts, I could cite a hundred of these right back for you.
    A small issue with the paper you posted. It openly admits that social scientists have done little to analyze the situation. The paper is also during the time period of US occupation. It also correlates the effects of the drone strikes to the reprisal attacks without taking into account the military operations on the ground, or the effect of a standing militia. It attributed the curb in success and frequency to drone strikes. I am not saying it is wrong, but I think there is more to it.

    It also doesn't take into account what is happening today. There has been a resurgence of AQ in Iraq after we have left. Drone strike them all you want, but we don't have boots on the ground and they are all of a sudden showing back up.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  10. #90
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Terrorize the innocent civilians until the terrorists are all killed.
    Excellent. Police should do random home inspections until all criminals are locked up.



    Anyone who is hanging out with terrorists is not an innocent civilian.

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •