Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 328

Thread: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups [W:165]

  1. #131
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,868
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    This is because you can't name one.



    I already told you that you have a problem so I won't repeat myself.

  2. #132
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    4,810

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I already told you that you have a problem so I won't repeat myself.
    Would you like to answer any of the questions I posed or just ignore them?

    So far you are just ignoring them.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  3. #133
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,868
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Would you like to answer any of the questions I posed or just ignore them?


    So far you are just ignoring them.



    Get to work and find your own answers, I don't work for you.

  4. #134
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,669

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    How far away do I have to be not to be associated with this terrorist? 50 ft? 100 ft? 100 yards? 1/4 mile? What if he is driving by and I am farming? Is that my fault too?
    Oh, please. Let's not pretend that drone strikes wipe out huge areas. If you live in the same building as a mass murdering, child abusing (terrorist brainwashing) neighborhood oppressing terrorist, who will kill many people and enslave many others, then too bad.

    If collateral damage is so impossible for you to understand, perhaps we could have a Vulcan explain it to you.

  5. #135
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    I dont know. For one thing they might not be aware of who lives in their building. And if they are they might not be able to do anything about it. Generally I am all for surgically removing the bad guys without boots on the ground, but we still need to be civilized about it if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Oh, please. Let's not pretend that drone strikes wipe out huge areas. If you live in the same building as a mass murdering, child abusing (terrorist brainwashing) neighborhood oppressing terrorist, who will kill many people and enslave many others, then too bad.

    If collateral damage is so impossible for you to understand, perhaps we could have a Vulcan explain it to you.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  6. #136
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,669

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    I dont know. For one thing they might not be aware of who lives in their building. And if they are they might not be able to do anything about it. Generally I am all for surgically removing the bad guys without boots on the ground, but we still need to be civilized about it if possible.
    How is the US not civilized about it? It's not like it carpet bombs a block or two. It sends precision ordinance that costs millions to ensure that collateral damage is minimized.

  7. #137
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    I dont know. For one thing they might not be aware of who lives in their building. And if they are they might not be able to do anything about it. Generally I am all for surgically removing the bad guys without boots on the ground, but we still need to be civilized about it if possible.
    Generally agreed (I don't really like the word "civilized", but I think I agree with your sentiment): I feel like people here think you have to either not give a **** about civilian casualties at all, or you have to 100% against drone strikes, and there's no middle ground. Just two extreme sides arguing, believing there isn't a spectrum in between.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  8. #138
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    How is the US not civilized about it? It's not like it carpet bombs a block or two. It sends precision ordinance that costs millions to ensure that collateral damage is minimized.
    This is very true. And that's fine. But don't just ignore that collateral damage and say they deserved it in order to make yourself feel better about it. Most of those civilian casualties do not deserve it. You can say that aloud and still support the drone strikes. Try it:

    "Most of the civilian casualties of drone strikes do not deserve it, but the positive effect of the drone strikes on American interests is still larger than the negative effect and they should continue." It's not hard.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  9. #139
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,669

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    This is very true. And that's fine. But don't just ignore that collateral damage and say they deserved it in order to make yourself feel better about it. Most of those civilian casualties do not deserve it. You can say that aloud and still support the drone strikes. Try it:

    "Most of the civilian casualties of drone strikes do not deserve it, but the positive effect of the drone strikes on American interests is still larger than the negative effect and they should continue." It's not hard.
    Do you not understand what collateral damage means? Do you think collateral damage is people that deserved it? It seems that the problem here is your misunderstanding of collateral damage. The term, in itself, says they did not deserve it. When you've mastered the basic vocabulary of this subject, perhaps you can move forward with discussions.

  10. #140
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Drone strikes killing more civilians than U.S. admits - human rights groups say

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Do you not understand what collateral damage means?
    lol no i r dum

    Do you think collateral damage is people that deserved it?
    Do you think that using the phrase "too bad" in this context is anything but condescending at best, sarcastic at worst:
    "If you live in the same building as a mass murdering, child abusing (terrorist brainwashing) neighborhood oppressing terrorist, who will kill many people and enslave many others, then too bad."

    It seems that the problem here is your misunderstanding of collateral damage.
    It seems the problem here is your misunderstanding how people use the phrase "too bad". You don't understand it? That's too bad.

    The term, in itself, says they did not deserve it. When you've mastered the basic vocabulary of this subject, perhaps you can move forward with discussions.
    Wow, that's ironic. lol

    You don't get it? That's too bad, eco.

    "You're a janitor in the World Trade Center, the de facto global headquarters for economic imperialism? That's too bad," said the Salafi extremist.

    That doesn't convey an actual sense of acknowledgement of (relative) innocence, it conveys a sense that the speaker just doesn't care. The difference is significant. When you've mastered the basic vocabulary of the subject, perhaps you can move forward with this discussion.
    Last edited by OldWorldOrder; 11-01-13 at 10:36 AM.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •