Page 86 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 1205

Thread: School shooting this morning . . .

  1. #851
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-12-13 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    433

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    61% of the serious violence occurred with no gun present. There's no nefarious reason I didn't mention it. The statistics at the link speak for themselves.
    I doubt your link. It would have to be analyzed to determine what is serious violence to begin with. I still suggest that if the consideration isn't serious violence which could include anything and it was violence against a person or persons then the most egregious cases would be with guns. In any case, the remaining 39% is till significant. It's probably about 38% that we Canadians don't have to worry about.



    Funny you should mention that, because I had no idea what point you were trying to make in the post I responded to. Now, however, you've made your point very clear. You've somehow arrived at the conclusion that, because I have a gun in my home, I am interested in protecting personal property. I have absolutely no idea how you arrived at that conclusion.

    I couldn't care less about my personal property. Besides their being "mere things," I have plenty of insurance for that eventuality. What I most certainly do value is my life and the lives of my loved ones.

    But, as someone famous once said, "Let me make this perfectly clear." If an intruder breaks into my home in the middle of the night and I can access my gun before he "accesses me or mine," I won't be asking if he's armed. I won't be asking if his intention is just to rob my house. And I won't be asking him to freeze. I'll be blowing his ass away.
    Your rhetoric betrays your emotions. I know the exact same rhetoric and I know it's not original to you. And it also tells me that you want to make it more about your lust to kill another human being and that trumps your possible loss of personal belongings. I'm actually saying that that is a big part of the problem, both on the part of the homeowner and on the part of the burglar in your country.

    And so, because you have used that sort of bloodlust rhetoric, I find that discussing the matter with you is now counter productive and rather disdainful in my opinion.

    I would suggest that a Canadian's first and primary concern if he becomes the subject of a home burglary is to escape the experience with his/her life and the lives and wellbeing of his family members. Not something that is consistent with your obvious wishes to blow somebody's ass away. And in fact, I would suggest that most Canadians would never want to do such a thing because of the emotional scars that such actions obviously entail.

    Fwiw, and it's not to encourage more discussion with you and your gun owner ilk, I have to wonder why any gun owner wouldn't recognize that killing another human being is highly undesirable. And also wonder at why a person would go to the trouble of even stating the wish on any discussion forum? Is it some sort of demonstration of macho bravado? Is it to be considered a warning to burglars? And if it's that then does the gun owner possibly think that expressing those sort of sentiments in a discussion such as this will actually protect them in some way or make an impression on the person they are talking to on the forum? As if I would be likely to be considering a burglary of your house?? In short, what makes them tick?? And would they eagerly follow through with their threats? I believe they would and do it gleefully, not understanding in the least the consequences that would come home to haunt them!

  2. #852
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as does violent crime. what do you think happens more

    robbery, theft, rape or murder or harmful fires?
    Which isn't the question at hand. I can measure those things, all of them, but what has been asked of you is specifically those crimes that require more than seven rounds to address.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #853
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    there is no down side to someone licensed to carry a weapon from having 17 rounds in his gun but there is a down side to him being limited to 7 rounds even if one attack out of 100 would require more to solve the problem. You have changed your argument from there is NO NEED to there is not a statistically "significant" need

    which is stupid. Remember if it SAVES JUST ONE INNOCENT LIFE

    and since every police department has found that more than 7 is NEEDED, who are you to say otherwise? and don't give me the crap that police are more likely than other citizens to confront violent criminals-most cops do not.

    YOUR failure is that you cannot show any reason why a person should be prohibited from having a 10-15-20 shot pistol if they have already been legally cleared to carry such a weapon in public
    I'm not sure if there is or isn't a down side. But you've been asked to show that more than seven rounds are needed, thus constituting a hardship. No dancing, just provide your support for your claim.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #854
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    There is no stat that covers what is the optimum round count to have on hand. Even most police officers carry a loaded weapon with at least 2 mags in pouches.
    Say in a Glock, that could be up to 51 rounds on tap if running a 9mm with 17 round mags. Plus one in the chamber gives 52.
    Now why should an officer, be able to have 52 on hand and me or anyone else be limited?
    Again, police are different. So, if you don't know what is needed, how do you know you need more than seven?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #855
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, police are different. So, if you don't know what is needed, how do you know you need more than seven?
    Different? How so? Their lives are worth more? More civilians are killed every year than officers. So I would say that Iam in more danger than a police officer.

  6. #856
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Only from people like you. So I must be doing something right. Prove me wrong, if you can.
    What would you like me to waste my time embarrassing you about? Pick something even remotely interesting.

  7. #857
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    What would you like me to waste my time embarrassing you about? Pick something even remotely interesting.
    Try, go ahead.

  8. #858
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, police are different. So, if you don't know what is needed, how do you know you need more than seven?
    He needs to kill more than 7 kids when he breaks into the elementary school he failed out of? That would be my guess. Or maybe he thinks the National Guard and Air National Guard cannot repel invasions as per USC Article 1? Or maybe he thinks his Glock is going to take over Washington and stop tyranny? Or maybe he thinks 52 rounds is equivalent to what the unorganized militia is supposed to have per the Militia Act of 1792?

    Cops need things most Americans really do not need. If someone breaks into your house I cannot imagine getting off 52 rounds. Either the thug would be dead or the homeowner would be dead LONG before 52 rounds were fired from each person. And for target shooting, 52 rounds would heat the weapon so much that it would be way off from the original cold bore shot. Nobody hunts for food with handguns and who would need 52 rounds to kill a rabbit anyway? Honestly, the guy just says stuff to inflame folks and to be contrary. If you said the sky was blue he would tell you it was yellow and try and start a 100 page forum thread about it. The weapons feature act under Clinton was found Constitutional. The NFA that started the Class III registry was found Constitutional. The lockdown of the Class III registry signed into law by Reagan in 1986 was found Constitutional.

  9. #859
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Try, go ahead.
    Pro tip Einstein, you need to pick a topic for me to laugh at you about.

  10. #860
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    This will continue to happen until we put metal detectors and national guardsmen in the schools. But Americans view that as an infringement on their freedoms and would rather see little children die than try to deal with the problem in an intelligent and responsible manner.
    I will help you. You say people will see it as an infringement. How so?

Page 86 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •