Page 85 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 1205

Thread: School shooting this morning . . .

  1. #841
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
    Only allowing that for handgun ownership and use also discourages those who think they need a gun in their home for protection. That's not desirable because we know the statistics say that encourages home burglars to carry guns too and that results in shootings of innocent people as well as the burglars. The punishment doesn't fit the crime for the burglars who are only intent on a robbery.
    Those criminals intent on robbery don't break into homes where people are at home. If your home is broken into at 2 AM in the morning? You are in a fight for your life. Whether they have guns or not.

  2. #842
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Nothing of the kind. I'm saying there is reasonable preparation and unreasonable preparation. My brother (you don't know him, but he's an idiot), if preparing for the alien invasion and the government putting a chip in is butt. Such is unreasonable. If what TD claims is true, like with fires, he should be able to show it happens in statistically significant numbers. If it does, than the preparation is reasonable. If not, unreasonable.
    there is no down side to someone licensed to carry a weapon from having 17 rounds in his gun but there is a down side to him being limited to 7 rounds even if one attack out of 100 would require more to solve the problem. You have changed your argument from there is NO NEED to there is not a statistically "significant" need

    which is stupid. Remember if it SAVES JUST ONE INNOCENT LIFE

    and since every police department has found that more than 7 is NEEDED, who are you to say otherwise? and don't give me the crap that police are more likely than other citizens to confront violent criminals-most cops do not.

    YOUR failure is that you cannot show any reason why a person should be prohibited from having a 10-15-20 shot pistol if they have already been legally cleared to carry such a weapon in public



  3. #843
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Those criminals intent on robbery don't break into homes where people are at home. If your home is broken into at 2 AM in the morning? You are in a fight for your life. Whether they have guns or not.
    MIchael has admitted he is against a criminal being killed as punishment no matter what the criminal did. From that we can understand that he opposes a victim of violent crime being able to kill the criminal in self defense even if the criminal intends mass murder. Logic or facts are not going to overcome that sort of mindset. better say 2 girls be raped and burned to death (as was that case in Connecticut) than the two rapists be shot by the father.



  4. #844
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You're going in the wrong direction. The positive claim is that you need them. I know of no statistics showing that you need them. If you have some, share them.
    There is no stat that covers what is the optimum round count to have on hand. Even most police officers carry a loaded weapon with at least 2 mags in pouches.
    Say in a Glock, that could be up to 51 rounds on tap if running a 9mm with 17 round mags. Plus one in the chamber gives 52.
    Now why should an officer, be able to have 52 on hand and me or anyone else be limited?

  5. #845
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
    I don't hate armed criminals and why should I? I try to understand criminals and what motivates them, then am more interested in rehabilitating a criminal rather than punishing them. And that's not to say that a prison term isn't sometimes warranted. Capital punishment is never warranted, not even in the most egregious cases of murder.

    And I think that 'hate' is too strong an emotion to describe the slaughter of innocents by guns in all instances and not only by criminals. It's mostly needless slaughter which Americans choose to allow people to inflict upon others when it could be largely prevented with a few sensible gun laws.

    The Mark

    That's ridiculous. Canadians can own guns for lawful purposes but we don't allow Canadians to carry handguns around on the street. We restrict handgun use to taking it to a shooting range to use it and then directly back home with it. A law I consider very sensible as handguns are made purposely for killing people. It would be foolish to allow people to carry them around on the street because then we would be somewhat equalling the US statistics of gun violence and even accidental shootings.

    Only allowing that for handgun ownership and use also discourages those who think they need a gun in their home for protection. That's not desirable because we know the statistics say that encourages home burglars to carry guns too and that results in shootings of innocent people as well as the burglars. The punishment doesn't fit the crime for the burglars who are only intent on a robbery.

    And so, it's pretty obvious that most Americans won't be able to understand all that. It's not important that they do but what is important is that our gun violence and loss of innocent lives of our loved ones is much lower than it is in the US/per capita.

    Maybe some Americans who have lost a loved one to gun violence will understand, after the fact?
    What about Americans that have lost a loved one to criminal violence? I guess they dont count.

  6. #846
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    There is no stat that covers what is the optimum round count to have on hand. Even most police officers carry a loaded weapon with at least 2 mags in pouches.
    Say in a Glock, that could be up to 51 rounds on tap if running a 9mm with 17 round mags. Plus one in the chamber gives 52.
    Now why should an officer, be able to have 52 on hand and me or anyone else be limited?
    He won't come out and explain why there is a downside with people who are allowed to carry firearms being so limited. For him to do so he'd have to prove that licensed CCW holders or homeowners allowed to have weapons are more likely to engage in illegal behavior and that illegal behavior is more deleterious to society when those previously law abiding citizens are using higher capacity magazines. Since he cannot do that, he merely insinuates they don't NEED them and are illogical, emotional and irrational in thinking they do. It is consistent with his entire SOP when it comes to gun issues--he starts off saying he DOES NOT FEEL A NEED to be armed and insinuates those who feel otherwise are irrational or paranoid



  7. #847
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-12-13 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    433

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Those criminals intent on robbery don't break into homes where people are at home. If your home is broken into at 2 AM in the morning? You are in a fight for your life. Whether they have guns or not.
    You appear to be contradicting yourself in your first two sentences. And so let's consider that your second sentence is valid at least in some circumstances. If the burglar is carrying a gun then you are obviously likely to be shot and if he isn't carrying a gun then your aren't remotely likely to be shot. At least that we can agree upon so far.

    If the burglar is carrying a gun then it's likely that somebody could be shot dead. I would suggest that's just as likely to be the home owner or one of his family as it is that the burglar is shot.

    In an instance where guns or 'a' gun is involved then the fight for your life that you suggest is more likely to end in someone's death than it would be without guns involved. Statistically that is a proven fact. But it's certainly not proven fact that a home owner would be in a fight for his/her life if he run up against a burglar in his home, regardless of the time of day or night.

    And then, everything I say is again proven by the statistics of a comparison between Canada's gun violence and that in your country.

    Perhaps one thing we can agree upon is that it's not a desirable end result to have a home burglar shot dead by a home owner. I completely understand the emotion behind it all but I think that one of the first tasks is to try to rise above the emotion. A burglar, who could be a juvenile in many cases can be successfully reformed by a caring system and go on to live a very productive life.

    Let's try to work on that for a beginning. Not confused ideas of citizens becoming victims judged on whether they have a gun handy to protect themselves.

  8. #848
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
    You appear to be contradicting yourself in your first two sentences. And so let's consider that your second sentence is valid at least in some circumstances. If the burglar is carrying a gun then you are obviously likely to be shot and if he isn't carrying a gun then your aren't remotely likely to be shot. At least that we can agree upon so far.

    If the burglar is carrying a gun then it's likely that somebody could be shot dead. I would suggest that's just as likely to be the home owner or one of his family as it is that the burglar is shot.

    In an instance where guns or 'a' gun is involved then the fight for your life that you suggest is more likely to end in someone's death than it would be without guns involved. Statistically that is a proven fact. But it's certainly not proven fact that a home owner would be in a fight for his/her life if he run up against a burglar in his home, regardless of the time of day or night.

    And then, everything I say is again proven by the statistics of a comparison between Canada's gun violence and that in your country.

    Perhaps one thing we can agree upon is that it's not a desirable end result to have a home burglar shot dead by a home owner. I completely understand the emotion behind it all but I think that one of the first tasks is to try to rise above the emotion. A burglar, who could be a juvenile in many cases can be successfully reformed by a caring system and go on to live a very productive life.

    Let's try to work on that for a beginning. Not confused ideas of citizens becoming victims judged on whether they have a gun handy to protect themselves.
    These aren't "confused ideas." These are statistics. From the Bureau of Justice:

    3.7 million burglaries occur each year in the United States.
    At least one household member was present during 1 million of them and became victims of violent crime in 266,000 of them. 9% of this violence is classified as "serious." That's just under 26,000 victims of serious violence each year during home invasions.

    Are these stats insignificant? I guess it depends upon whether one is included in them. Protecting one's home falls on the people who live there. Not the neighbors. Not the coppers. "When seconds count, the cops are minutes away."

    http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

  9. #849
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-12-13 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    433

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    These aren't "confused ideas." These are statistics. From the Bureau of Justice:

    3.7 million burglaries occur each year in the United States.
    At least one household member was present during 1 million of them and became victims of violent crime in 266,000 of them. 9% of this violence is classified as "serious." That's just under 26,000 victims of serious violence each year during home invasions.

    Are these stats insignificant? I guess it depends upon whether one is included in them. Protecting one's home falls on the people who live there. Not the neighbors. Not the coppers. "When seconds count, the cops are minutes away."

    http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt
    The stats aren't insignificant but I'm not even sure what you think I'm disagreeing with. I do note that of the million where the homeowner was present there were 266,000 victims of violent crime. But of those victims, it's my guess that most of them were shot with a gun. You don't bother to state that for some reason. And so again, what is true is that if guns weren't involved then most of those wouldn't be victims. Probably a lot more bloody noses and maybe even broken limbs but not fatalities.

    Just what do you think you're arguing now? Could it be that you consider that getting the best of a burglar is more important than getting shot dead or having a loved one shot dead? Or even that preserving your owning precious articles of jewelry is more important than the lives of your loved ones?

  10. #850
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
    The stats aren't insignificant but I'm not even sure what you think I'm disagreeing with. I do note that of the million where the homeowner was present there were 266,000 victims of violent crime. But of those victims, it's my guess that most of them were shot with a gun. You don't bother to state that for some reason. And so again, what is true is that if guns weren't involved then most of those wouldn't be victims. Probably a lot more bloody noses and maybe even broken limbs but not fatalities.
    61% of the serious violence occurred with no gun present. (So much for your guess.) There's no nefarious reason I didn't mention it. The statistics at the link speak for themselves.

    Just what do you think you're arguing now? Could it be that you consider that getting the best of a burglar is more important than getting shot dead or having a loved one shot dead? Or even that preserving your owning precious articles of jewelry is more important than the lives of your loved ones?
    Funny you should mention that, because I had no idea what point you were trying to make in the post I responded to. Now, however, you've made your point very clear. You've somehow arrived at the conclusion that, because I have a gun in my home, I am interested in protecting personal property. I have absolutely no idea how you arrived at that conclusion.

    I couldn't care less about my personal property. Besides their being "mere things," I have plenty of insurance for that eventuality. What I most certainly do value is my life and the lives of my loved ones.

    But, as someone famous once said, "Let me make this perfectly clear." If an intruder breaks into my home in the middle of the night and I can access my gun before he "accesses me or mine," I won't be asking if he's armed. I won't be asking if his intention is just to rob my house. And I won't be asking him to freeze. I'll be blowing his ass away.

Page 85 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •