Page 68 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 1205

Thread: School shooting this morning . . .

  1. #671
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    To expand on that, America wants something roughly like parity between the citizenry and the State; thus the Second.

    Also, the beauty of Concealed Carry is that criminals do not know who is or isn't armed... and must be wary that their lack of that information doesn't prove fatal to them when they choose a victim.

    Thus CC lends the cachet of equal power even to those who do not exercise it, to some degree.
    Of course if I am a criminal, and I believe what you say, then I plan accordingly. I then become more dangerous and not less.

    I let let you know this because both sides tend to be too simplistic about it. Neither eliminating nor arming more makes you safe. Both sides are wrong on this.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #672
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Of course if I am a criminal, and I believe what you say, then I plan accordingly. I then become more dangerous and not less.

    I let let you know this because both sides tend to be too simplistic about it. Neither eliminating nor arming more makes you safe. Both sides are wrong on this.
    So really, the true counter to a statement along the lines of "we should ban guns so we are safer" is something like: "you can never be that safe, given current technology".
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #673
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    So really, the true counter to a statement along the lines of "we should ban guns so we are safer" is something like: "you can never be that safe, given current technology".
    Most of us life quite safely everyday, with very little reason to fear much at all. But, no, nothing removes the possibility that some depraved soul might do you harm.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #674
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Which is not the point and has never been the point (BTW, so am I. Expert shot in the military and have done enough hunting to be experienced).

    And yes, As I have worked on the streets with law enforcement, I do know something about it. The trouble on the internet is that our experiences are not clear to everyone. And frankly, if you've put seven bullets in someone, even someone on PCP, that person's threat level is greatly diminished even if still standing. In the real world, we are just not having the type of situations that require being extensively armed. And even if there was more than one home invader, the second you shoot one the others disperse. You can predict human behavior rather accurately. They don't just keep coming once shooting starts.

    I'm not sure where you guys live, but in Atlanta GA, and Jacksonville Fla, I never needed to be armed at all, let alone to the teeth. Are you in a war zone?
    You say "I've never needed to be armed" but there is a first time for everything. Jobs are becoming more and more scarce, we have the MOST people ever collecting social services. People are getting desperate. Desperate people do desperate things. These facts make your comment most naive. I'm surprised that someone of your maturity would have even said such a thing. NEVER say never after all.

    It has nothing to do with where you live. A random act of violence can happen to anyone at anytime. Only the naive or very young would think that nothing would happen to them or that they would be able to fight off any intruder with the minimum weaponry.

    You obviously don't know anything about people who are on heavy duty drugs. They feel NO pain. Yes, after getting shot 6 or 7 times they can most certainly still charge at you, and that has actually happened on multiple occasions to police.

    You assume that if you shoot a warning shot or shoot one that the others will run. That is certainly not always the case, ESPECIALLY if they KNOW that you only have 7 rounds in the chamber.

  5. #675
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You say "I've never needed to be armed" but there is a first time for everything. Jobs are becoming more and more scarce, we have the MOST people ever collecting social services. People are getting desperate. Desperate people do desperate things. These facts make your comment most naive. I'm surprised that someone of your maturity would have even said such a thing. NEVER say never after all.

    It has nothing to do with where you live. A random act of violence can happen to anyone at anytime. Only the naive or very young would think that nothing would happen to them or that they would be able to fight off any intruder with the minimum weaponry.

    You obviously don't know anything about people who are on heavy duty drugs. They feel NO pain. Yes, after getting shot 6 or 7 times they can most certainly still charge at you, and that has actually happened on multiple occasions to police.

    You assume that if you shoot a warning shot or shoot one that the others will run. That is certainly not always the case, ESPECIALLY if they KNOW that you only have 7 rounds in the chamber.
    Oh, I've been about as poor as a person can be. Homeless at16.

    And yes, I know much about drugs. More than most, and not just stories told on TV.

    And I didn't say a warning shot, though that can be effective. I said shot shoot one of them. The rest will disperse. Only the rare few react calmly.

    I guess what I'm saying us that I'm not, wrong about what I say. Experience, statistics, and experts all back me up on that. Seven bullets is more than enough.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #676
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Oh, I've been about as poor as a person can be. Homeless at16.

    And yes, I know much about drugs. More than most, and not just stories told on TV.

    And I didn't say a warning shot, though that can be effective. I said shot shoot one of them. The rest will disperse. Only the rare few react calmly.

    I guess what I'm saying us that I'm not, wrong about what I say. Experience, statistics, and experts all back me up on that. Seven bullets is more than enough.
    That is wrong in so many ways. You completely ignored my scenarios. No, 7 rounds is not always going to be enough, regardless of your opinion. It's quite obvious that you have become "comfortable" and you have never experienced anything really bad happening to you or your loved ones.

    Avoiding & Surviving a Home Invasion

    Each year, hundreds of Americans are kidnapped, injured, or killed during home invasions. Many people live in a fantasyland, believing that the police will magically appear in their time of need. After all, police have to protect us, right? WRONG! Did you know that the US Court of Appeals has ruled that police have no legal responsibility to provide personal protection to individuals? In other words, police and cities have been absolved of any liability. The ruling stated, “Local government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen” (Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1). That’s right!, The police are under no obligation to risk their lives to save yours. If you think that calling 911 will instantly remove all evildoers, think again. If you’re not prepared to protect yourself and your loved ones then there is no guarantee that you will receive any protection at all.

  7. #677
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That is wrong in so many ways. You completely ignored my scenarios. No, 7 rounds is not always going to be enough, regardless of your opinion. It's quite obvious that you have become "comfortable" and you have never experienced anything really bad happening to you or your loved ones.

    Avoiding & Surviving a Home Invasion
    Again from someone who wants your money.

    And you would be wrong concerning loved ones yet again.

    But the question isn't about having no guns, or no protection (dogs are great), but about how large an arsenal you need to protect yourself.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #678
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again from someone who wants your money.

    And you would be wrong concerning loved ones yet again.

    But the question isn't about having no guns, or no protection (dogs are great), but about how large an arsenal you need to protect yourself.
    You should be able to have as large an arsenal that you feel is necessary to protect yourself if you are a law-abiding citizen. There is no need to limit a law-abiding citizens right to self defense because you feel it's "good enough." Nobody should be able to make such decisions for other people, especially when it comes to protecting yourself, your family and your property.

  9. #679
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Sorry I shat on your thread MD. I can see this is something you care alot about.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  10. #680
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    well when you have to run emergency drills at schools, sent your kids to a school with armed guards, risk being shot in inner cities etc.... Its hardly "free" when you have to take precautions to protect yourself from other peoples "rights"
    well as a competitive shooter I sure like being able to shoot in a pistol league every week. something you subjects cannot do because you all had a collective panty wetting over one nutcase in Dunblane about 16 years ago Great idea-punish a bunch of people because of one asshole



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •