Page 64 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 1205

Thread: School shooting this morning . . .

  1. #631
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Actually, what is moronic is your inability to articulate what you feel.... It is true that this is an acceptable collateral damage to maintain you unfettered gun rights. If not, then would you accept some restriction IF you reason to believe that it would reduce these kind of events.

    Let's put aside for one minute whether or not this is realistic..... and concentrate on the hypothetical....... if, there was a restriction or regulation on gun ownership that would lead to a significant reduction of school/public shootings, would you endorse this? If you can answer "yes" then I back off; if you can not answer yes to this, then my original assertion that these are acceptable collateral damages to you stands.

    So, I ask you, "if you knew, with reasonable certainty, that a particular gun restriction or regulation would lead to a reduction of public shootings, would you be in favor or said regulation/restriction?"
    The war on drugs and Chicago's gun bans have proven that the moronic desire by the left to harass the rights of honest people to keep and bear arms are just that-moronic desires to harass people the lefties don't agree with. Claiming that banning guns or all the incremental steps the left wants on its way to a ban will stop people who commit capital murder is just plain stupid

    as I noted there are only two distinct types of gun banners

    1) those who are too stupid to understand that their dream laws won't stop crime and

    2) those too dishonest to admit that crime control is not what really motivates their desires to restrict honest people owning guns



  2. #632
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    You should just admit that 50-75 student deaths per year is an acceptable level of collateral damage for your unfettered gun rights....
    Why do you find it acceptable to act on all the peoples rights when one individual is the assailant in a school shooting? How can you possibly explain the reasoning behind your position? How is it a reasonable argument to make that one mans actions should affect the rights of all parties in a country? How does the government protect the rights of people by actively violating them?

  3. #633
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why do you find it acceptable to act on all the peoples rights when one individual is the assailant in a school shooting? How can you possibly explain the reasoning behind your position? How is it a reasonable argument to make that one mans actions should affect the rights of all parties in a country? How does the government protect the rights of people by actively violating them?
    we could ask him why he isn't asking anyone who drives more than 20 MPH how many lives are an acceptable trade off so they can drive say 45 MPH

    or asking the ACLU how many lives are an acceptable tradeoff so that prisoners can get reasonable bail or competent appointed counsel or that the feds cannot wiretap people without a warrant?

    the fact is-anti gunners are mainly anti conservative christian white male (the perceived stereotypical gun owner) and they whine about rights that this group apparently cherishes while not whining about other rights that clearly are implicated in far more deaths



  4. #634
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,105

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why do you find it acceptable to act on all the peoples rights when one individual is the assailant in a school shooting? How can you possibly explain the reasoning behind your position? How is it a reasonable argument to make that one mans actions should affect the rights of all parties in a country? How does the government protect the rights of people by actively violating them?
    I am not making any other assertion than it has become a matter of public opinion (and therefore public policy) that 50-75 school deaths per year are an acceptable level of collateral casualties in the quest to protect on unfettered gun rights.... I just want people to admit it, because that is what public policy is saying.

    OK, maybe 75 is a bit high, perhaps is more like 25-50....... maybe if it got over 50, people would feel differently.

  5. #635
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I am not making any other assertion than it has become a matter of public opinion (and therefore public policy) that 50-75 school deaths per year are an acceptable level of collateral casualties in the quest to protect on unfettered gun rights.... I just want people to admit it, because that is what public policy is saying.

    OK, maybe 75 is a bit high, perhaps is more like 25-50....... maybe if it got over 50, people would feel differently.
    what a silly dichotomy

    why don't you tell us what sort of laws would guarantee no more school shootings



  6. #636
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I am not making any other assertion than it has become a matter of public opinion (and therefore public policy) that 50-75 school deaths per year are an acceptable level of collateral casualties in the quest to protect on unfettered gun rights.... I just want people to admit it, because that is what public policy is saying.

    OK, maybe 75 is a bit high, perhaps is more like 25-50....... maybe if it got over 50, people would feel differently.
    You appear to not understand why your argument is contradictory and illogical at it's very foundation. There is many security measures that have been proposed and/or enacted into law that rest upon this foundation and all of them suffer from illogical thought. As you can not protect the people rights by declaring that in order to keep them safe we must restrain their actions, we must compel them into action, we must spy on them, and we must violate their person. Nothing that I can imagine is more illogical and contradictory than the very foundation of your position.

  7. #637
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Sorry, but when you brought up UK licensing laws and restrictions on firearms you destroyed your own argument.
    If you are going to say stupid stuff, please don't bother quoting me so I don't get emails telling me I was quoted. English have the right to bear arms. Period. USA has the right to bear arms. Period. Not all countries allow folks to have full auto non-registered weapons like Al Qaeda seems to have in Syria.

  8. #638
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what a silly dichotomy

    why don't you tell us what sort of laws would guarantee no more school shootings
    Laws do not stop shootings. Return fire stops shootings. If you want to keep carnage to a minimum, then you have to return fire with a better trained person using a longer range weapon. Guardsmen with M4 Carbines might be a solid start for putting down untrained psychos with sidearms. Laws are for imprisoning people after the fact. They don't stop jack sh*t, as anyone who reads a newspaper these days can attest to.

  9. #639
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    So, I ask you, "if you knew, with reasonable certainty, that a particular gun restriction or regulation would lead to a reduction of public shootings, would you be in favor or said regulation/restriction?"
    I would think anyone that is half sane would be in favor of that. Anyone that thinks children being slaughtered is a reasonable price to pay for having the Second Amendment needs their heads examined. But most shootings probably involve illegal weapons or weapons that were not properly contained.

  10. #640
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    If you are going to say stupid stuff, please don't bother quoting me so I don't get emails telling me I was quoted. English have the right to bear arms. Period. USA has the right to bear arms. Period. Not all countries allow folks to have full auto non-registered weapons like Al Qaeda seems to have in Syria.
    Yes, and yet those countries allow their military to have such weaponry. I find it very strange to trust the government with weapons you do not trust the people with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •