Page 60 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 1205

Thread: School shooting this morning . . .

  1. #591
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    And it's not even like our Second Amendment was something our Founding Fathers thought up. The right to keep and bear arms is English common-law.

    Bill of Rights 1689 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    No royal interference in the freedom of the people to have arms for their own defence as suitable to their class and as allowed by law (simultaneously restoring rights previously taken from Protestants by James II)
    Well, England has certainly destroyed gun rights in its own country...

  2. #592
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
    When is enough, enough? Do real people who aren't carrying guns around and pretending they are needed for protection, have rights too? Do pretend macho gungoons have a right to endanger the lives of others in order to satisfy what is mostly their feelings of inadequacy if they don't have a gun to back them up?
    Your position is infantile. English Parliament, the Founding Fathers, SCOTUS, all of these people were not "macho gun-goons". Target shooting / sport, home protection, hunting, etc. - all valid reasons to own a firearm. And the most important reason is that Congress requires it. 230 years and not one single Congress has wanted to repeal the Militia Act of 1792. And in fact, the Militia Act and the Second Amendment is why we were able to repel the Whiskey Rebellion.

    http://www.constitution.org/mil/mil_act_1792.htm

    The Militia Act of 1792, Passed May 8, 1792, providing federal standards for the organization of the Militia.

    An ACT more effectually to provide for the National Defence, by establishing an Uniform Militia throughout the United States.

    I. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, That each and every free able-bodied white male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia, by the Captain or Commanding Officer of the company, within whose bounds such citizen shall reside, and that within twelve months after the passing of this Act. And it shall at all time hereafter be the duty of every such Captain or Commanding Officer of a company, to enroll every such citizen as aforesaid, and also those who shall, from time to time, arrive at the age of 18 years, or being at the age of 18 years, and under the age of 45 years (except as before excepted) shall come to reside within his bounds; and shall without delay notify such citizen of the said enrollment, by the proper non-commissioned Officer of the company, by whom such notice may be proved. That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise or into service, except, that when called out on company days to exercise only, he may appear without a knapsack. That the commissioned Officers shall severally be armed with a sword or hanger, and espontoon; and that from and after five years from the passing of this Act, all muskets from arming the militia as is herein required, shall be of bores sufficient for balls of the eighteenth part of a pound; and every citizen so enrolled, and providing himself with the arms, ammunition and accoutrements, required as aforesaid, shall hold the same exempted from all suits, distresses, executions or sales, for debt or for the payment of taxes.

  3. #593
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Well, England has certainly destroyed gun rights in its own country...
    If you say so. <rolls eyes>. Last time I checked I have friends living in UK and they own guns, they shoot at clubs, they go hunting, and they keep weapons for home protection. Now if you want to show that English common-law and the English Bill of Rights have been repealed; have right at it.

    Oh - I see you live in Der Peoples Republik of Chicago. How is the Obama gun-grab working out for you guys? Crime down to zero now, is it?

  4. #594
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    The anti gun left hates pro gun organizations that funnel money and votes to anti socialist politicians.
    OK - I'll bite. Do you contend that only one of the two major parties are funded by Super PAC's with specific agendas? Last I checked DNC hates any group that funds the GOP with Super PAC billions, and GOP hates any DNC group that funds the DNC with Super PAC billions. You know why GOP loves NRA and Jesus and DNC loves AFL-CIO and Cinco De Mayo? GOP had first pick. Anyone who thinks Washington is anything other than two teams fighting over money is definitely off base.

  5. #595
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    If you say so. <rolls eyes>. Last time I checked I have friends living in UK and they own guns, they shoot at clubs, they go hunting, and they keep weapons for home protection. Now if you want to show that English common-law and the English Bill of Rights have been repealed; have right at it.

    Oh - I see you live in Der Peoples Republik of Chicago. How is the Obama gun-grab working out for you guys? Crime down to zero now, is it?
    In the UK, there is no "right to own a gun." In the United Kingdom, civilians are not allowed to possess semi automatic and automatic firearms, handguns and armour piercing ammunition; no fully automatic weapons; no semi-automatic assault weapons; no private possession of handguns, pistols and revolvers. Licenses are required; number of firearms is limited as is ammunition.

    Next.

    Guns in the United Kingdom: Firearms, armed violence and gun law

  6. #596
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    If you say so. <rolls eyes>. Last time I checked I have friends living in UK and they own guns, they shoot at clubs, they go hunting, and they keep weapons for home protection. Now if you want to show that English common-law and the English Bill of Rights have been repealed; have right at it.

    Oh - I see you live in Der Peoples Republik of Chicago. How is the Obama gun-grab working out for you guys? Crime down to zero now, is it?
    I thought people in England were NOT allowed to own guns for self defense and only if they were a member of a hunting club were they allowed to own a rifle.

  7. #597
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    In the UK, there is no "right to own a gun." In the United Kingdom, civilians are not allowed to possess semi automatic and automatic firearms, handguns and armour piercing ammunition; no fully automatic weapons; no semi-automatic assault weapons; no private possession of handguns, pistols and revolvers. Licenses are required; number of firearms is limited as is ammunition.

    Next.

    Guns in the United Kingdom: Firearms, armed violence and gun law
    That's what I thought too.

  8. #598
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    LOL, Yeah I'm sure Dick Cheney would be a good choice, he could talk about gun safety and how to hunt without shooting anybody and in case you do wait 24 hrs to get your story straight. lol
    If the Bar Association didn't make a ban on killing lawyers; Cheney would have merely been a hunter downing an ambulance chaser in season. I wonder if those taste good with a nice demi glase.

  9. #599
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    In the UK, there is no "right to own a gun." In the United Kingdom, civilians are not allowed to possess semi automatic and automatic firearms, handguns and armour piercing ammunition; no fully automatic weapons; no semi-automatic assault weapons; no private possession of handguns, pistols and revolvers. Licenses are required; number of firearms is limited as is ammunition.

    Next.

    Guns in the United Kingdom: Firearms, armed violence and gun law
    Just continue to make stuff up, why don't you. Anyone in England who wants an FAC Firearm Certificate or an SGC Shotgun Certificate merely has to go down to the local Police Station. UK private citizens own and estimated 4+ million firearms. This is no different than here in USA where we get CCW's, FFL's, etc.

    Gun politics in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Firearm licensing

    With a few specialised exceptions, all firearms in the United Kingdom must be licensed on either a 5-year[36] firearm certificate (FAC) or a shotgun certificate (SGC)issued by the police for the area in which they normally reside. Each certificate can list multiple firearms, and the certificate remains valid until expiry even if all the listed firearms were subsequently banned.[37]

    Shotguns (Section 2 Firearms under the 1968 Act as amended) are defined in UK law as smoothbore firearms with barrels not shorter than 24 inches (60 cm) and a bore not larger than 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter, no revolving cylinder, and either no magazine or a non-detachable magazine that is not capable of holding more than two cartridges,[19] plus one in the chamber; shotguns with higher capacity require a firearm certificate. Shotguns thus defined are subject to a less rigorous certification process than for the full FAC; an applicant is not required by law to make a good case for being granted a certificate, but the police may withhold a certificate if they consider that the applicant does not have satisfactory security in place, or granting it would constitute a danger to public safety or to the peace.[38] A certificate holder may possess as many shotguns as can be securely stored.

    When applying for a firearm certificate, justification must be provided to the police for each firearm, and they are individually listed on the certificate by type, calibre, and serial number. A shotgun certificate similarly lists type, calibre and serial number, but permits possession of as many shotguns as can be safely accommodated. To gain permission for a new firearm, a "variation" must be sought, for a fee, unless the variation is made at the time of renewal, or unless it constitutes a one-for-one replacement of an existing firearm that will be disposed of. The certificate also sets out, by calibre, the maximum quantities of ammunition someone may buy or possess at any one time, and is used to record ammunition purchases (except where ammunition is bought to use immediately on a range under s11 or s15 of the Firearms Act).

  10. #600
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Just continue to make stuff up, why don't you. Anyone in England who wants an FAC Firearm Certificate or an SGC Shotgun Certificate merely has to go down to the local Police Station. UK private citizens own and estimated 4+ million firearms. This is no different than here in USA where we get CCW's, FFL's, etc.

    Gun politics in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Firearm licensing

    With a few specialised exceptions, all firearms in the United Kingdom must be licensed on either a 5-year[36] firearm certificate (FAC) or a shotgun certificate (SGC)issued by the police for the area in which they normally reside. Each certificate can list multiple firearms, and the certificate remains valid until expiry even if all the listed firearms were subsequently banned.[37]

    Shotguns (Section 2 Firearms under the 1968 Act as amended) are defined in UK law as smoothbore firearms with barrels not shorter than 24 inches (60 cm) and a bore not larger than 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter, no revolving cylinder, and either no magazine or a non-detachable magazine that is not capable of holding more than two cartridges,[19] plus one in the chamber; shotguns with higher capacity require a firearm certificate. Shotguns thus defined are subject to a less rigorous certification process than for the full FAC; an applicant is not required by law to make a good case for being granted a certificate, but the police may withhold a certificate if they consider that the applicant does not have satisfactory security in place, or granting it would constitute a danger to public safety or to the peace.[38] A certificate holder may possess as many shotguns as can be securely stored.

    When applying for a firearm certificate, justification must be provided to the police for each firearm, and they are individually listed on the certificate by type, calibre, and serial number. A shotgun certificate similarly lists type, calibre and serial number, but permits possession of as many shotguns as can be safely accommodated. To gain permission for a new firearm, a "variation" must be sought, for a fee, unless the variation is made at the time of renewal, or unless it constitutes a one-for-one replacement of an existing firearm that will be disposed of. The certificate also sets out, by calibre, the maximum quantities of ammunition someone may buy or possess at any one time, and is used to record ammunition purchases (except where ammunition is bought to use immediately on a range under s11 or s15 of the Firearms Act).
    What here contradicts anything I posted with link verification?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •