Page 22 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 1205

Thread: School shooting this morning . . .

  1. #211
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Rejected as dishonest again

    ANti gun advocates are in no position to define what is a minor infringement.

    If you were a GM USPSA competitor you wouldn't be saying such stupid things.

    And tell us, if NYS has determined that 17 round GLOCK handguns are the best protection against violent criminals for their officers to use, why should the rest of us be handicapped with 7 round limits?
    One, your not police. You day likely has less potentially dangerous moments. Second, four what you would likely run into, if you can't handle it with seven rounds, you are likely either not proficient, or you really messed up and found yourself in a war zone.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #212
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Don't get emotional. You tend to get hyperbolic when you do. Stop talking about me, and make a point as to why it us such a burden.
    Dont lie like claim that magazine bans are not significant. You tend to lose credibility when you make such claims.

    tell us what laws would have stopped this shooting today?



  3. #213
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not sure. It's deeply embedded. But we need to start by calling it what is to start with, a tool. Not savior. Not ones manhood. Not the giver of safety, but a tool that can help in the right hands for the right reasons.

    We also need to keep educating that violence is not the answer in most cases. That reason should be the first and persistent choice for dealing with problem.

    Also, while I don't blame violent content in video games, we need kids out of the technology and interacting with real actual people. The graphics are better, and the lesson important. We're still human beings and this is largely important that we learn to deal with each other.
    Really good points.

    You are right it is deeply embedded and it's tentacles reach in many different directions. For one thing we glorify violence and tie being able to kick ass to manhood which in reality, has nothing to do with being a man. I think arming our boys with a healthier understanding of what being a man really means would be a great start. Not sure how we would do that. We can say it's the parents job, but if the parent didn't learn it themselves chances are they aren't going to be teaching it.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  4. #214
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    One, your not police. You day likely has less potentially dangerous moments. Second, four what you would likely run into, if you can't handle it with seven rounds, you are likely either not proficient, or you really messed up and found yourself in a forgiven war zone.
    that again is moronic. Police usually determine when and where they confront armed criminals. They have backup, vests and radio communications. The rest of us never choose when someone attacks us and where. we usually don't have backup.

    so your moronic claim that I only need 7 is just more illustration you have no clue about this issue

    why 7 why not 5 or 3? when NYS limited people to 10 rounds I made the same argument and people like you said the same thing about ten rounds

    tell us what expertise you have in civilian self defense issues that allows you to determine what is a proper number of rounds GIVEN THE GOVERNMENT HAS DETERMINED IT IS 15 to 17



  5. #215
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,099

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's interesting. Tomorrow I will look into that. Not one you say?
    5-year-old Kentucky boy fatally shoots 2-year-old sister
    From Leigh Remizowski, CNN
    updated 12:03 PM EDT, Thu May 2, 2013

    A Kentucky mother stepped outside of her home just for a few minutes, but it was long enough for her 5-year-old son to accidentally shoot and kill his 2-year-old sister with the .22-caliber rifle he got for his birthday, state officials said.....

    ....Caroline Sparks' death comes after two other incidents in recent months involving young children shooting others. In early April, a 4-year-old boy in Tennessee shot and killed a 48-year-old woman, and just days later, 6-year-old Brandon Holt was killed in New Jersey after being shot in the head by his 4-year-old playmate.

    Read more here:
    5-year-old Kentucky boy fatally shoots 2-year-old sister - CNN.com


    There was a thread on DP related to that tragedy:
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/gun-co...post1061758937

    Part of todays story:

    ....The shooter took a handgun from his parents, a federal law enforcement source who was briefed on the situation told CNN's Evan Perez.

    The gunman eventually shot and killed himself....

    Read more: Sparks Middle School shooting: 2 dead, 2 hurt in Nevada shooting, police say
    Last edited by Utility Man; 10-22-13 at 12:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    There were, by most estimates, 500 Nazis in Charlottesville. One of them went homicidal. Not all Nazis are violent extremists. You are trying to rationalize your hatred and it's simply not rational.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as I noted, its better that 10 nutjobs get guns than one good person be wrongly disarmed.

  6. #216
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Still waiting for your gun law ideas.
    See here is the break down.
    Pro gun rights people. We believe in personal responsibility, punishing the criminal, raising children to not be weak minded, we believe in the US Constitution, we hold all our rights dear and know when one falls they all will fall.
    Pro gun control people. They dont believe in personal responsibility, coddle the criminal, raise children to be weak and fearful, and would love a total revamp of the constitution to eliminate gun rights, and they dont care if it falters and goes away as long as the G is there to protect and provide for them.
    Personally, I worry more about stupid people. They are more dangerous than criminals. After years if working emergency medicine, I saw more deaths due to stupid people with guns that any other gun deaths, hands down.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #217
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Being told how many rounds I can have to defend my home and protect my family is not minor. That is a slap in the face.
    Yeah, you can't reload? What are you realistically expecting? I don't see your concern.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #218
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    more moronic evasion. "Professional" cops are issued 17 round magazines even though COPS ARE MORE LIKELY TO SHOOT THE WRONG PERSON than other armed civilians

    IF PROFESSIONAL COPS need 17 rounds so do the rest of us

    lacking in your braying about minor restrictions is a complete failure to explain why those restrictions are NEEDED.

    there are two parts to the debate

    1) are the infringements improper when applied to honest people-you claim they are not improper, I claim they are

    2) do the infringement clearly advance a proper good-you cannot even come close to making that argument with evidence
    You're not paying attention. They have cause. You really don't.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #219
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Lie, even VP Biden admitted that those laws would do nothing to prevent crimes.
    Which has nothing to do with what I said.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #220
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Yea, really. Try it. You want to turn me in? Call the Melbourne PD and tell them CRUE CAB blacked out his Jimmy's windows and gutted the cat. Its in the driveway right now. I am sure they will drop everything to rush right over.
    Relax. Don't care.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 22 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •