Page 120 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121 LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1205

Thread: School shooting this morning . . .

  1. #1191
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    And you aren't an officer of the court if you are OK with ignoring the will of the Senate and SCOTUS.
    Using that nonsense, no lawyer would argue that a law is improper. That would include the attorneys who got rid of the DC gun ban, the Chicago Gun ban, separate but "equal" etc. You apparently are OK with silly nonsense as long as it makes you money but you apparently don't understand the bad precedent that poison pill (designed to derail the McClure-Volker Firearms Owners Protection Act) created. If its "constitutional" to ban citizens owning any machine gun made after May 19, 1986 it would be just as "constitutional" to do the same thing to semi autos. And I deny it was the will of the senate and the USSC has not ruled on it. You might have an FFL and lots of guns-you don't seem to have much understanding of the underlying concepts of constitutional law and gun legislation.



  2. #1192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Local law enforcement would have to be re-trained to handle CQB. Still a pricy endeavor. I'm just pulling a number out of my a$$, but I could see the total cost for locking down schools from psychos running 50 billion a year. 100K schools needing 3 CQB experts each with a $60K salary and $10K of gear, plus a one-time investment of $40K worth of training per enforcement officer and a pair of metal detectors per school. That's some serious coin, actually. That burden has to come from taxpayers.
    I differ, I dont see where it would add that much to the budget to have at least one school resource officer and his vehicle at the school. Many do it already.
    The hiring of one or two officers or even have the school as part of their patrol route is not a big expence.
    Just knowing that officer is there all day or at random times will prevent someone coming to the school to do harm.

  3. #1193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Using that nonsense, no lawyer would argue that a law is improper. That would include the attorneys who got rid of the DC gun ban, the Chicago Gun ban, separate but "equal" etc. You apparently are OK with silly nonsense as long as it makes you money but you apparently don't understand the bad precedent that poison pill (designed to derail the McClure-Volker Firearms Owners Protection Act) created. If its "constitutional" to ban citizens owning any machine gun made after May 19, 1986 it would be just as "constitutional" to do the same thing to semi autos. And I deny it was the will of the senate and the USSC has not ruled on it. You might have an FFL and lots of guns-you don't seem to have much understanding of the underlying concepts of constitutional law and gun legislation.
    If SCOTUS says the Senate was legally allowed to ban certain firearms, then I am going to obey it. As it is, I can own quite a bit more than my fellow gun owners in Canada and England. I am pretty sure USA is the most wide-open of all the Western countries. If you are offended that people are making good money on Class III investments; you don't understand capitalism. And you seem hypocritical to me - on one hand you want me to favor a structure where I cannot make money, but at the same time you want me to support the conservative approach on 2A. Conservatives are typically the ones that are extremely pro capitalism, whereas Liberals are usually the ones that care more about societal needs than that of their own. So which is it? Should I be against making a buck or for making a buck? You do know if they repeal the Ronnie Raygun nazi lockdown, thousands and thousands of people are going to lose a crap-ton of money, right? Lots of folks buy Class III every year as an important part of their investment portfolio. They'd all be hosed if they bought full auto AR's and AK's for $20K only to have them end up worth $500 to $1K.

  4. #1194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    I differ, I dont see where it would add that much to the budget to have at least one school resource officer and his vehicle at the school. Many do it already.
    The hiring of one or two officers or even have the school as part of their patrol route is not a big expence.
    Just knowing that officer is there all day or at random times will prevent someone coming to the school to do harm.
    I'm not sure it will. Nutjobs are just that - nutjobs. I'm thinking a lot of them are planning on suicide-by-cop after the carnage settles down. I think there might actually have been cops at places like Columbine. Maybe a better solution is having all the teachers carry. At Elementary Schools in Israel, teachers carry full auto M4's when they take the kids out into the yards to play. And candidly, if I was suddenly thrust into a situation where I was within target-distance of a CQB; I would want a Marine, Seal, or Ranger there taking care of business as opposed to Barney Fife and Sheriff Andy.

  5. #1195
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    If SCOTUS says the Senate was legally allowed to ban certain firearms, then I am going to obey it. As it is, I can own quite a bit more than my fellow gun owners in Canada and England. I am pretty sure USA is the most wide-open of all the Western countries. If you are offended that people are making good money on Class III investments; you don't understand capitalism. And you seem hypocritical to me - on one hand you want me to favor a structure where I cannot make money, but at the same time you want me to support the conservative approach on 2A. Conservatives are typically the ones that are extremely pro capitalism, whereas Liberals are usually the ones that care more about societal needs than that of their own. So which is it? Should I be against making a buck or for making a buck? You do know if they repeal the Ronnie Raygun nazi lockdown, thousands and thousands of people are going to lose a crap-ton of money, right? Lots of folks buy Class III every year as an important part of their investment portfolio. They'd all be hosed if they bought full auto AR's and AK's for $20K only to have them end up worth $500 to $1K.
    I am going to call BS on all of this. Conservatives don't think its right to ban guns just so people like you can make some money. If you think the Hughes amendment is proper you are anti gun



  6. #1196
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    I'm not sure it will. Nutjobs are just that - nutjobs. I'm thinking a lot of them are planning on suicide-by-cop after the carnage settles down. I think there might actually have been cops at places like Columbine. Maybe a better solution is having all the teachers carry. At Elementary Schools in Israel, teachers carry full auto M4's when they take the kids out into the yards to play. And candidly, if I was suddenly thrust into a situation where I was within target-distance of a CQB; I would want a Marine, Seal, or Ranger there taking care of business as opposed to Barney Fife and Sheriff Andy.
    you put way too much faith in the military and you apparently have very little understanding of civilian self defense. My Nephew is a SF captain. Two tours of the heaviest fighting we saw in Iraq in the Rangers than 14 months in an A camp doing interdictions on a border some place in Afghanistan. Most of his stuff in iraq was offensive-counter offensive stuff and lots of house clearings. when on leave he comes back to his hometown and hangs out at the tactical pistol range with his uncle turtle working on stuff.



  7. #1197
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you put way too much faith in the military and you apparently have very little understanding of civilian self defense. My Nephew is a SF captain. Two tours of the heaviest fighting we saw in Iraq in the Rangers than 14 months in an A camp doing interdictions on a border some place in Afghanistan. Most of his stuff in iraq was offensive-counter offensive stuff and lots of house clearings. when on leave he comes back to his hometown and hangs out at the tactical pistol range with his uncle turtle working on stuff.

  8. #1198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I am going to call BS on all of this. Conservatives don't think its right to ban guns just so people like you can make some money. If you think the Hughes amendment is proper you are anti gun
    Your guns aren't banned. There are 300+ million small arms privately owned in USA, and tens of thousands of Class III weapons. I'm not anti-gun. You are an anti-law anarchist.

  9. #1199
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Your guns aren't banned. There are 300+ million small arms privately owned in USA, and tens of thousands of Class III weapons. I'm not anti-gun. You are an anti-law anarchist.
    The idiocy mounts. YOu just cannot understand that if the Hughes Amendment is proper and constitutional-its application to semi autos would be just as proper. You might claim to have a FFL but you obviously have proven very little understanding of constitutional law and the concept of precedent



  10. #1200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: School shooting this morning . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    I'm not sure it will. Nutjobs are just that - nutjobs. I'm thinking a lot of them are planning on suicide-by-cop after the carnage settles down. I think there might actually have been cops at places like Columbine. Maybe a better solution is having all the teachers carry. At Elementary Schools in Israel, teachers carry full auto M4's when they take the kids out into the yards to play. And candidly, if I was suddenly thrust into a situation where I was within target-distance of a CQB; I would want a Marine, Seal, or Ranger there taking care of business as opposed to Barney Fife and Sheriff Andy.
    True, but there is the reality of the numbers. How many schools? How many students? How many teachers? Now, how many have been shot at school by some crazed maniac?
    I really dont think a military style lockdown of schools is justified at this point.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •